Ibanez 7 string Rga742fm MOD suggestions (bridge,pups,tuners,nut) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Question Ibanez 7 string Rga742fm MOD suggestions (bridge,pups,tuners,nut)

Hey PEEPS,
I bought this beautiful rga742fm. I wanna make this a guitar which looks and sounds like a 1200$ guitar. So I'll mod my guitar and this'll be my main guitar.
the mods will be
1.Pickups (for modernmetal,Djent and clean stuffs as well)
Seymour duncan Alpha Omega
Seymour Duncan Nazgul Sentinent
Bareknucle Aftermath
Dimarzio Titans
2.Locking Tuners
Graphtech ratio (they dont offer any 7 string tuners or single tuners as far as I know)
Sperzel Trim LOK (They Look good but heard some bad reviews abour them)
Hipshot Grip lock open gear (these look ugly but Misha Mansoor uses them on his signature models)
3.Bridge Replacement
The bridge on this guitar is very cheap looking and goes out of tune on low tunings.
I CANT FIND ANY SPECIFIC BRIDGES FOR THIS GUITAR SO IN THIS CASE I NEED A SUGGESTION BADLY.
A REPLACEMENT FOR THE IBANEZ FIXED BRIDGE 7.
According to my research
the hipshot ibby FP bridge directly fits the fixed bridge 7
but i want to know that the Ibby hm would fit in without any modification ?
Nut
i found the graphtech tusq XL nut if you can suggest a better one , feel free to do so
Thanks in advance \m/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (9.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg aa2.jpg (8.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png ibz bridge.PNG (315.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg hrdtl.jpg (7.3 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 02:52 PM

Re: Ibanez 7 string Rga742fm MOD suggestions (bridge,pups,tuners,nut)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyan Hrid View Post
Hey PEEPS,
I bought this beautiful rga742fm. I wanna make this a guitar which looks and sounds like a 1200$ guitar. So I'll mod my guitar and this'll be my main guitar.
the mods will be
1.Pickups (for modernmetal,Djent and clean stuffs as well)
Seymour duncan Alpha Omega
Seymour Duncan Nazgul Sentinent
Bareknucle Aftermath
Dimarzio Titans
2.Locking Tuners
Graphtech ratio (they dont offer any 7 string tuners or single tuners as far as I know)
Sperzel Trim LOK (They Look good but heard some bad reviews abour them)
Hipshot Grip lock open gear (these look ugly but Misha Mansoor uses them on his signature models)
3.Bridge Replacement
The bridge on this guitar is very cheap looking and goes out of tune on low tunings.
I CANT FIND ANY SPECIFIC BRIDGES FOR THIS GUITAR SO IN THIS CASE I NEED A SUGGESTION BADLY.
A REPLACEMENT FOR THE IBANEZ FIXED BRIDGE 7.
According to my research
the hipshot ibby FP bridge directly fits the fixed bridge 7
but i want to know that the Ibby hm would fit in without any modification ?
Nut
i found the graphtech tusq XL nut if you can suggest a better one , feel free to do so
Thanks in advance \m/
1. Any of the pickups you list will sound great, the rest is down to you.

2. Gotoh Magnum lockers fit the Japanese theme nicely.

3. If you're determined to sprinkle money all over this guitar then get an Evertune bridge installed for ultimate tuning stability.

4. What's wrong with the nut, a nut's a nut, it's either cut correctly and works properly or it isn't.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

doesn't that guitar & bridge have a slight arch? if so that presents problems take off the bridge and do some measurements of the mounting holes.

That said, the bridge is unlikely to be causing tuning problems unless it's grossly defective. It simply sets intonation & string height. Sure it's not the best fixed bridge but it's very serviceable and upgrading is moot. More likely the tuning issue is from string(s) not stretched, intonation off, nut issues and/or tuners slipping.
FireEagle likes this.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:19 PM

I just bought my first 7 string... an Ibanez RG7421PB-CNF that has that same bridge. It seems to work ok, but isn't that comfortable on the right palm. I found these while looking around for a good replacement:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hip...ss!66617!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-Ibane...4AAOSwnoVa8RMF

Good luck... and post back if you try one and if it works well or not. I picked up my guitar for very cheap as it was owned by a full grown mountain lion that played fingerstyle apparently. The animal played primarily country music, as evidenced by the large belt buckle he wore that was made of a huge ball of barbed wire welded to an anvil... so right now an uncomfortable bridge is the least of my worries. If I get along with a 7-string and like playing it then I may look to replace the bridge in the future.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
doesn't that guitar & bridge have a slight arch? if so that presents problems take off the bridge and do some measurements of the mounting holes.

That said, the bridge is unlikely to be causing tuning problems unless it's grossly defective. It simply sets intonation & string height. Sure it's not the best fixed bridge but it's very serviceable and upgrading is moot. More likely the tuning issue is from string(s) not stretched, intonation off, nut issues and/or tuners slipping.

Good point about the RGA... It might flatten out in the center of the top, just by looking at pics and referencing the pickup rings:

https://en.audiofanzine.com/stc-shap...m.1630144.html
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
1. Any of the pickups you list will sound great, the rest is down to you.

2. Gotoh Magnum lockers fit the Japanese theme nicely.

3. If you're determined to sprinkle money all over this guitar then get an Evertune bridge installed for ultimate tuning stability.

4. What's wrong with the nut, a nut's a nut, it's either cut correctly and works properly or it isn't.

Gotoh Magnum locks are not available , the available ones are 6 string ones

i have a 6 string with an evertune bridge

Nut affects the tone and tuning stability of the guitar
i might not change the nut right away.i might change it later.just askin suggestions for now
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Got the guitar intonated ,the string height adjusted and also fixed the action and the alignment
the set up guy told that the bridge is fine just that its an old model and cannot take the heavy fuzz like the newer ones(gibraltar,hipshot)
yes there is a slight arch but the part where the bridge sits is flat
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Gotoh Magnum locks are not available , the available ones are 6 string ones

i have a 6 string with an evertune bridge

Nut affects the tone and tuning stability of the guitar
i might not change the nut right away.i might change it later.just askin suggestions for now
https://reverb.com/item/2111715-goto...uners-7-inline
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

thanks mate
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Re: Ibanez 7 string Rga742fm MOD suggestions (bridge,pups,tuners,nut)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I just bought my first 7 string... an Ibanez RG7421PB-CNF that has that same bridge. It seems to work ok, but isn't that comfortable on the right palm. I found these while looking around for a good replacement:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hip...ss!66617!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-Ibane...4AAOSwnoVa8RMF

Good luck... and post back if you try one and if it works well or not. I picked up my guitar for very cheap as it was owned by a full grown mountain lion that played fingerstyle apparently. The animal played primarily country music, as evidenced by the large belt buckle he wore that was made of a huge ball of barbed wire welded to an anvil... so right now an uncomfortable bridge is the least of my worries. If I get along with a 7-string and like playing it then I may look to replace the bridge in the future.
the hipshot link you gave on EBAY is the IBBY HM one mentioned in my post.
they dont have it in here so i cannot say whether it'll fit
but this bridge the hipshot Flat plate https://hipshotproducts.com/collecti...-guitar-bridge
will surely fit your/my guitar
but i want the heavy mass IBBY HM One which aesthetically looks good and also great for tuning stability
you can check whether the ibby HM will fit your guitar or not https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...51531469416575

here this guy changes his gibraltar II bridge and puts up a hipshot IBBY HM . If go for a bridge it will probably be hipshot.

the local music store doesnt keep the hipshot bridge nor they can do a professional job changing it. so i have to drive 200kms to change the bridge so I must get my measurements correct.so if you can then please let me know if the ibby HM one will fit the Hardtail 7 string bridge or not

Last edited by Raiyan Hrid; 05-30-2018 at 04:42 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:39 AM
site founder 0% owner

Quote:
the set up guy told that the bridge is fine just that its an old model and cannot take the heavy fuzz like the newer ones (gibraltar,hipshot)
Not knocking the setup guy but that makes no sense at all.

If you can use a screwdriver just remove the strings and bridge and compare to the hipshot dimensions linked to their site DIMENSIONS HERE
https://hipshotproducts.com/products...-guitar-bridge
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...51531469416575
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:28 PM

The hipshot bridge looks great and the reviews say great things about improved clarity, tone, etc... But I only paid $175 for the guitar, Ibanez hard case, new DiMarzio cliplock strap, and a new set of strings. Hard to justify a bridge that costs $125! Oh well, if I end up liking it and decide to keep it a new bridge would be great. So far I am not really getting any good sound out of it with any amount of gain (2015 RG7421pb w/quantum pickups) and I'm having trouble getting used to the wider neck (no thumb wrap)... not to mention the fact that apparently I base all of my fretboard knowledge off the low E string notes. It's a struggle just playing simple songs I've known forever... old dog new trick I guess. :-(
jemsite likes this.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Not knocking the setup guy but that makes no sense at all.

If you can use a screwdriver just remove the strings and bridge and compare to the hipshot dimensions linked to their site DIMENSIONS HERE
https://hipshotproducts.com/products...-guitar-bridge
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...51531469416575
Yes already measured,the ibby FP retro fits the present bridge https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...11854688257129
i just want to know that the ibby hm will fit the guitar with new drilling(without colliding with the old holes of the ibanez bridge)(i know the new bridge will need new holes)https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/15...51531469416575
Please tell me whether it'll collide or not
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
The hipshot bridge looks great and the reviews say great things about improved clarity, tone, etc... But I only paid $175 for the guitar, Ibanez hard case, new DiMarzio cliplock strap, and a new set of strings. Hard to justify a bridge that costs $125! Oh well, if I end up liking it and decide to keep it a new bridge would be great. So far I am not really getting any good sound out of it with any amount of gain (2015 RG7421pb w/quantum pickups) and I'm having trouble getting used to the wider neck (no thumb wrap)... not to mention the fact that apparently I base all of my fretboard knowledge off the low E string notes. It's a struggle just playing simple songs I've known forever... old dog new trick I guess. :-(
do whatever that'll make your guitar better man
change those pickups to some dimarzios and put some locking tuners
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

different mounts (will need to drill the body). Just leave the bridge as-is.
Attached Images
File Type: png 7.png (112.4 KB, 13 views)

Tags
ibanez 7 string , mod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode