Ibanez backstop/ESP arming ad. etc~ - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez backstop/ESP arming ad. etc~

So guys, i need a little bit of help here:

I'm thinking about buying a device like a backstop/tremsetter to put on my RG1550 but i'm wondering which is the best.

I've read that the original Ibanez backstop and the ESP arming adjuster won't fit in an Edge Pro guitar without routing so right now i'm looking at a Hipshot tremsetter.

My trem atm is set up with 3 springs like so:
| | |

I'd like to know your advice on what to get and how to install it. Ibanez backstop, ESP arming adjuster or Hipshot tremsetter?

Cheers all, i know i've been posting alot of threads about mods i'm doing to my RG1550, but i'm really trying to pimp it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 11:12 PM

Re: Ibanez backstop/ESP arming ad. etc~

this: http://www.***************.com/srs7/...se_pid/360425/
it's musicians friend. that's pretty cool. i installed one in my 1527. i'm gonna' buy a couple more for my other guitars. i can finally bend without going out of tune. i can still use the trem too. there are better ones, but this was really simple to install. you have to set up the trem springs a bit differently, but it's not much trouble.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 12:46 AM

I've tested practically every trem setting unit except for the Tremol-no(unless somebody wants to send me one *wink* *wink*), and actually have the ESP Arming Adjuster installed on ALL my guitars. If you don't want to route into your guitar, you won't like the Hipshot tremsetter either since you gotta drill a 1/2" deep hole on the back of your trem cavity to accomodate the bar.

That tremsetter from WD Parts is interesting, but basically just acts as a trem stopper and stops your trem from going any further back(which is bad if you pull up on the trem). So realistically your options if you want full use of the trem you'd have to go for an Ibanez Backstop or an ESP Arming Adjuster (or that Rockinger one)

I've actually successfully installed an Arming Adjuster on a guys guitar WITHOUT any routing. The only trick was to screw in the bolt in as far as it would go and also shorten the overall length using the adjustment on the back of the Arming Adjuster. Depending on how deep your route is your trem may not have a lot of back pull as the trem eventually hits the solid part of the arming adjuster.

Seriously, even though you can more or less install an arming adjuster without routing, I strongly recommend that you DO route it to properly fit one in. Especially since it's not a whole lot to route, and the benefits a backstop or arming adjuster gives is well worth the trade off. I mean I routed the cavities my J-Customs, my USA custom and my UV777bk, I must have been nuts to cut wood out of those guitars, but hey, it was worth it!

If you don't want to do it yourself you can always take your guitar to a tech to do it (or send it to me ).

(oh yeah, you can install the Arming Adjuster with either two springs in a V or straight(depending on your string gauge) or even three or four springs. You just don't use the middle one. Feel free to bug me if you got any questions about installing one of these buggers.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

So do i only need to have 2 springs on my guitar with the ESP arming adjuster?
As in:
spring, esp, spring
....|......||.....|

I use .10 strings and my trem has been set up with 3 springs in straight

Last edited by Chud; 01-02-2006 at 08:02 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 11:13 AM

You would need two shorter/stronger springs if you wanted to use two springs with a set of 10's. You'd probably have to do what I'm doing and set it up like this

spring, esp, spring, spring
...../....||......|.........|

Mind you, if you had just two shorter/stronger springs you could just do this:

spring, esp, spring
.../......||.......\
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:38 AM

Reviews: 7

This maybe a stupid question, but I'd rather know for sure before buying one. There wouldn't be a problem with the arming adjuster on a floating Wilkinson, again a stupid question and I'm all but positive it wouldn't matter what trem it was as long as theres a block for the ESP to make contact with right? Thanks in advance...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 08:04 AM

I want something like that so that I can go drop d on my ibanez guitars without having to de tune the whole guitar. I'm using my les paul for drop d, not that i do alot of it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone
This maybe a stupid question, but I'd rather know for sure before buying one. There wouldn't be a problem with the arming adjuster on a floating Wilkinson, again a stupid question and I'm all but positive it wouldn't matter what trem it was as long as theres a block for the ESP to make contact with right? Thanks in advance...
The ESP Arming adjuster will work with practically any trem, Wilkinson trems included, and your right, as long as there's a sustain block for the Arming Adjuster to make contact to it's fine.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knarfzednem
this: http://www.***************.com/srs7/...se_pid/360425/
it's musicians friend. that's pretty cool. i installed one in my 1527. i'm gonna' buy a couple more for my other guitars. i can finally bend without going out of tune. i can still use the trem too. there are better ones, but this was really simple to install. you have to set up the trem springs a bit differently, but it's not much trouble.
does that basically block the trem so you cant do up bends?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 04:13 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_h
does that basically block the trem so you cant do up bends?
No actually it just returns the tremelo to zero better and you can still raise notes, although thats a pretty low quality one, it doesn't compare to the ESP arming adjuster though
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothersnowgone
No actually it just returns the tremelo to zero better and you can still raise notes, although thats a pretty low quality one, it doesn't compare to the ESP arming adjuster though
oh right so they just covered the springs with plastic then, i thought it was a rigid rod kinda like a tremol-no that you couldnt "undo"
why buy that when u can buy an arming adjuster off rich for $30, not a huge price diff!

Tags
esp arming adjuster , hipshot tremsetter , ibanez backstop , ibanez guitars , les paul , trem springs , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode