Ibanez "backstop" users!!! Pics inside - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez "backstop" users!!! Pics inside

I recently won an Ibanez Backstop off of Ebay, and I just got in in the mail today. I installed it to what I think is the right way, I used the step by step instructions provided on this sight. Here are a few URL links to view the pictures of it if you guys can take a look at them, and let me know if it looks right. Also, if there are any backdtop or tremsetter users out there, can you tell me if you like them or not? Thank you..Here are the links.

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/...e/101_0163.jpg

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/...e/101_0162.jpg

http://img29.photobucket.com/albums/...e/101_0161.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Oh, btw, I guess I should have mentioned that I installed this in my JEM7VWH.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:26 PM

That looks cool as hell...

How does it feel?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBird31
That looks cool as hell...

How does it feel?
Well, its gonna take some getting used to. I've never played with one before, and Ive been playing Ibaez guitars for almost 20 years, so the free tremelo feeling is 2nd nature to me. The trem is just a tad stiffer, but of course you can adjust the spring tention on it. I think if I put some time on it, I might learn to like it. I like the added benifits though. Its nice to be able to do a string bend on it without making the others flat. And it does add stability at returning the trem to a nutral posistion every time. I bought it for a "just to try one out" reason. Its ashame they are so hard to get. Hipshot makes the tremsetter, but only has one spring on it, and it inferior to the Ibanez Backstop. I will give this thing a few weeks, and if I dont like it, or get used to it in that perod of time, I will probably get rid of it. Anyone else have an opinion on this?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 09:50 PM

does the backstop allow the trem to function in drop-D tuning?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2004, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_cater
does the backstop allow the trem to function in drop-D tuning?
I honestly dont know for sure, but if I were to guess, I'd say that it would work. If you tune your normal low "E" down to a "D", the only thing that would change would be the trem angle, but with the backstop in place, and the direction of travel that the trem goes, would push against the backstop in the same ways as if you were pulling up on it. In this case, depending on the tention of the springs on the backstop, (which is adjustable), it may or may not require retuning of all the other strings. I have a feeling that there would have to be a little tweaking, but nothing major.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2004, 07:18 PM

There's actually supposed to be a rubber bumper that is attached where the two pistons come in contact with the block - this is meant to absorb the 'clunk' of the parts coming into contact when dropping the trem and returning to pitch. Mind you, Mr. Vai's guitars don't have the rubber bumpers on them, at least not the ones that I've seen pictured in detail... and it's not metal to metal, it's metal to composite of some type.
Just thought I'd mention.

Tags
ibanez backstop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode