Ibanez edge blade replacements? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez edge blade replacements?

Greetings gents!

A buddy has an original 1991 RG550 with the Edge trem.

Is there a way / place to order just the blades / knife edge inserts for this unit? I know Rich mentioned filing is several posts however I was wondering if there is a way to get ahold of some brand new ones or aftermarket?

Many thanks
~J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez edge blade replacements?

In case anyone was wondering what I'm talking about when I say "knife edge inserts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaRAvnntrZQ
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 6

There was quite an extensive thread about this previously. From what I remember they weren't producing knife edges. Rich also mentioned that they were next to impossible to fit, so the consensus was that sharpening was the only way to go until it was time to replace the trem.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 05:40 AM
Banned

Question : are they even removable at all? If yes, then couldn't a machine shop make the same blade?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

They're removable (see video above) and I was totally thinking the same thing. Fabricate, produce and have Will Ferrell endorse them as "Blades Of Glory"!!

sorry, the lame was strong on that one lol.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_P View Post
They're removable (see video above) and I was totally thinking the same thing. Fabricate, produce and have Will Ferrell endorse them as "Blades Of Glory"!!

sorry, the lame was strong on that one lol.
I just watched it, hmmm quite a pain.... but definitely worth repairing them than going for a new plate, or even worse trem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Reviews: 2

The inserts are much easier to remove than the video suggests. It's also a lot easier to file your inserts when they are out of the trem........

Tags
blades , knife , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode