Ibanez Edge original Bridge height adjustment - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By albee1952

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Edge original Bridge height adjustment

I have Ibanez JEM 7v and I wanted to adjust the action by adjusting the screws on which the knife edges pivot
I wanted to know the precautions and steps required to do the same and also which allen wrench to use
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Re: Ibanez Edge original Bridge height adjustment

Most important:
slack the strings first. Turning the stud with full tension is bad for the knife edge and groove.

Second most important: Figure out if you have locking studs!
Try gently to raise the bridge by backing the post out a bit(one full turn is enough and makes it easy to restore). The reason for this is because IF the studs have locking screws, and they are tight, trying to go lower will probably snap the post top. I'm not sure on sizes, but the locking screw(if used) will be small(like what fits the saddles on a Fender Strat). With the stud able to turn without force, you know the locking screw is not locked(bottomed out) so you can stick in the tiny allen wrench and back the locking screw out a few turns. Once those are backed out, then you can do the height adjustment(I think that's a 4mm). Once you get the height set, then tighten those locking screws in till they hit the bottom of the insert.

I say "if" because some years have the locking screws and some don't. To be really certain, next time you change strings, with everything loose, its easy to back out one or both studs and look at the bottom(the locking screw is hard to miss). If you want to see what I am talking about, here's a pic.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/parts/2LE2B.jpg note the tiny screw protruding from the threaded end. The non-locking is just solid.
peromucho7 likes this.

Last edited by albee1952; 06-19-2019 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added detail
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Hey, I am really sorry for replying late. I was not around my JEM for a couple of days

I have figured out that my guitar has locking studs.
When I slack my strings the springs at the back pull the bridge back and the studs dont move because they are tight
Can you help me with this.
How to unlock the studs and lock them back in position?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 09:56 PM

Reviews: 120

You don't have to slack the strings with an Edge, the knife edges are quality enough that they can handle the height being adjusted under tension. The advise to slack the strings on a lower quality bridge is sound, but a bit overkill with a good quality bridge
LonePhantom is online  

Tags
ibanez edge , ibanez jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode