Ibanez Jem 7VWH setup issues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Jem 7VWH setup issues

Hey,
I've recently bought an Ibanez Jem 7VWH. Since I'm a new entry in the electric guitar world, I would like to refer to some problems I've encountered so far.

Problem A:
When I play for ie 1-2 hours continuously I notice that the high (treble) E or/and the B and/or the G string are getting slightly detuned when i use pretty much the tremolo arm. I'm not sure if this is logical due to the double locking system. So, I had my guitar set up. The technician told me that the factor that caused this detuning problem is the high elasticity of the three tremolo springs. He suggested me to replace them with more stiffer onces. So I did. The detuning problem has been minimized to lower levels, though it still exists!!

Do you think that the tremolo angle causes the detuning problem? The technician corrected it but i'm not sure if it's 100% ok. Do you have any reference photos of the correct position of the tremolo angle?

Issue B
Which is the best string action in order to get the maximum playbility and sustain? ( are there any reference measurements?)

Which is the best pickup height in order to get the highest outpout as well as the best sustain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 03:36 AM

Re: Ibanez Jem 7VWH setup issues

Problem A: What model year is your VWH?? The proper trem angle depends on which Edge trem you have. Also, what gauge strings are you using?? If they are 009's then you shouldn't have had to mess with the springs unless they are way old.

Give us some pics and we'll get ya fixed up

Lastly, NO guitar stays in constant perfect pitch forever and ever!! Steel stretches and the high E, B and G are usually the first to go

IF you bought it new, leave the pups at factory level. If you bought it new, I'd recomend leaving the pups at factory setting. One of the biggest mistakes people make is raising the pups up to right under the strings They don't need to be that close

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 06-25-2008 at 03:47 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 AM

Reviews: 4

There might be an instability there due to incorrect trem posts, in case you have Edge Pro.
Have you "stretched" your strings properly? Are they new?

Post pictures, please.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

It's a 2008 model, the temolo is the low pro edge tremolo, and i'm using 009-0042. The problem is that i can't leave the setup at factory settings since I've already had my guitar setup by a "technician".... That's why i'am asking for some reference measurements..
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

It's a 2008 model, the temolo is the low pro edge tremolo, and i'm using 009-0042. The problem is that i can't leave the setup at factory settings since I've already had my guitar setup by a "technician".... That's why i'am asking for some reference measurements..
Edit/Delete Message

I'll post some pics ASAP

Tags
pickup height , pro edge tremolo , tremolo angle , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode