Ibanez Jem BFP tremolo instability? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 12:02 AM

They can be temperamental sometimes. The whole time I have been talking to you thinking you had an original edge... The edge zeros and zero ii's are a bit of a different animal. The spring setup isn't close to the original edge... So sorry if I confused you a little along the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez Jen BFP tremolo instability?

No thats quite alright, I really appreciate the help. I have ADD pretty badly, so trying to learn through internet articles and forums is very difficult for me. I've always been better learning hands on.

Funnily enough, I actually thought I had a Lo Pro Edge. This article on the wiki site even says so here: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/JEM77...Floral_Pattern) But I clicked the link and the bridge that shows up is not the same one as mine. The wiki is wrong. So the only reason I now know what bridge I actually have is because you just told me lol.

I mentioned before that my bridge doesn't return to true neutral after a pull-up. I added some oil a few days ago and its still acting the same. I suppose I could have worn edges? I don't even know how to check that as I'm pretty sure that involves removing the bridge. I'm not quite that confident in my skills to remove it.
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

And now I'm scouring the IbanezRules site. There doesn't seem to be very much info on the Edge Zero ii at all which is unfortunate.. I actually can't find any videos of my specific bridge. Every guitar I've found has the zero point spring system and I don't have that. I just have the claw with the three springs. They all have a screw on the top side of the bridge too, for intonation. I guess it can come out of the face of the trem and youre supposed to screw it into the saddle to help with intonating. I don't have that either. I would imagine there'd be some info out there on my specific bridge. sigh.

Last edited by Devourly; 10-15-2020 at 12:31 AM.
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

So I've been surfing youtube looking for my bridge, hoping to find a set up video and I came across this video:

He shows several different Ibanez bridges. However, my bridge does not appear at all in this video. At timestamp 10:00 he shows the edge pro i ii and iii, which is the closest in name to mine. But the edge zero doesn't appear at all.

I don't mind having to work to learn how to use this properly, but if there isn't even any info out there... I'm not sure what to do.

What is the quality like of the Edge zero ii? Bear in mind that I do not have the zero point spring system with it. Is this one of Ibanez's better bridges? Or is it more of a lower end bridge?

If this bridge isn't even a very good bridge to begin with, I may start looking into buying a better bridge. At least one that I recognize and have experience with.

Is it possible to swap bridges? Without serious modification to the body? I really shouldn't have to do that, I mean the guitar was 1600 USD. I'd like to believe that the bridge is just as good as any others but I really don't know.

Edit: He does MENTION the edge zero in the video I linked. But it isn't actually shown. And even when he mentions them, he says they come with the zero point spring system. But mine didn't. The edge zero's I've seen do not look like my bridge at all. Suffice to say, I still have absolutely no clue which bridge I have.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Vendor

Edge zero's have the knife edge pushed in from the front, it's never been visible on the side. The baseplate parallel to the body top is how you set the trem.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 06:57 AM
Vendor

post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:00 AM

From what I have seen on here most guys who have owned the edge zero and the zero ii are not too fond of them. But that's mostly because of the stiffer feel, not for it being an unstable trem. It is however one of Ibanez's lower end bridges. Here is what your bridge should come with as a kit. If you don't have this sort of stabilizer system then I am not sure what you have going on... Post a picture of your back cavity so we can see what is looks like.

https://reverb.com/item/33098969-iba...xoC3xEQAvD_BwE

That link is to a used zero ii. There is no spring claw that holds the springs in place on a zero ii like a edge or an edge lo pro. The zero ii is a very different setup. The premium line of Ibanez guitars are not that cheap, but they are not the high end guitars that ibanez makes. It's sort of hit or miss if they come with the higher end Trems. Like for example, I have a Premium JS24P satriani model. The ONLY reason I bought that was because it came with the original Edge trem. If it didn't I would have waited and saved more money and bought the prestige JS model.

The Zero ii is a smaller bridge when it comes to the length so I don't think the edge or lo pro edge would fit in your trem cavity. The Edge Pro is a very nice bridge and it from pictures it looks a bit shorter... though I am not sure if it will fit. There is a thread on here that has a chart showing what bridges fit in what guitars so you could figure out what you could possibly upgrade to. Removing the bridge is easy enough. But the issue you'll have is that you'll need to drill holes for your sping claw if you upgrade to a different style. Here's a link to what an original edge or lo pro edge back cavity looks like. Scroll down a little until you see some springs.

https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech.htm
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:07 AM
Vendor

The EX2 in all JEM's and UV's have the regular spring and claw system, Steve's choice. Nothing replaces either except a ZR, the stud spacing is wider.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Ahh okay. Well there's your answer. So essentially he's stuck with what he has unless he wants to change to the normal Zero or zero ii setup. I couldn't tell you if that's a good idea or not. But if it's not returning to center and your springs are stretched properly... There's one more thing that can think MIGHT be the problem.... but it's a stretch. I have had a locking nut (that is a through neck mount setup... meaning screws are going through the neck from the back, into the nut) that the screws were a little too long causing the the nut to not clamp as hard as it is supposed to. This made it where when I used the trem the strings would slip slightly past the nut clamps. Again this is a stretch because that is definitely an out of the ordinary issue. Chances are you may have a knife edge or string stretching issue. Or perhaps your strings are not clamped quite hard enough in the saddles. My 1987 edge has to clamp super hard... I need to replace some parts on it though.
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Vendor

Almost all modern Ibanez guitars have top mount nuts, except for the PIA.

The only problem I've ever run into with these is if you do a dive, it returns in pitch, you just touch the bar sharp and all strings stay very sharp, replace the studs with Edge studs and reset the intonation. Some of the studs are so tight a V they will bind no matter how well they're lubed.
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 09:49 AM

So all he needs are new studs, the original inserts are the same threads? So the edge posts can just screw right in?
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys thank you for all the info. I’ve only been able to lightly sift through it because I’m at work. But as soon as I get off in a few hours I’ll be able to get more involved here. Based on what I skimmed, I may have some new stuff to try!
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I'm finally home from work. I'm gonna try to respond to the posts that have come in in order.

First, Rich. Its good to have some confirmation about the non-visible knife edges. I didn't see a tremendous amount of info on IbanezRules about the Edge Zero ii specifically. Most of the bridges shown there, you can see the knife edge side. So I assumed mine should be visible too.

JsXLine6, I have included several pictures of the guitar. Everything I could think to capture along with the serial number on the headtock. Ignore the command strip on the rear cavity, I remove that plate so often, I decided to use that instead of running the risk of degrading the screw hole threads after removing them so many times. I can only add seven images to one reply, so after I'm done typing this up, I'll include the rest.

I've always seen people talking about their Edge Zero ii's as having the Zero Point System along with it, Like the one you showed earlier from reverb. I definitely have a simple claw and springs though. I was under the assumption when I bought this guitar that, being a Premium Ibanez, it would have the ZPS installed. But my music shop never mentioned any option to me when they ordered it, and I guess I sort of took it as a blessing at the time. Less parts involved, simplicity etc. The second link you included, to IbanezRules (the original Edge or LoPro back cavity), shows the exact same spring set up I have on my Jem.

Rich, some of the acronyms you used in post #38, EX2, ZR, I am unfamiliar with, but I have a page open from your site that explains them I think. I'll have a read soon.

As far as you and JsX talking about top mount nuts or through neck mount, I believe you mean whether or not there are screws visible on the back of the neck behind the locking felt pads. As you said, I only have top mounts.

I've been reading a bit about the locking stud bolts. I haven't been able to look at mine, but what you're saying about the groove angle makes sense. I feel like it might be worth it to pick up some stud bolts to replace mine. When you say to replace the studs with Edge studs, do you refer to the original Edge? I can get some ordered ASAP if so. And as Jsx asked, Will they just screw right in? If they require modification to the actual hole drilled into the body, I will most likely find someone to do that for me. My skills only go so far lol.

Thank you guys tremendously for helping me sort this out. I'll post up the remaining pictures of my guitar in my next reply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7172.JPG (1.67 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7173.JPG (1.73 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7174.JPG (1.58 MB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7175.JPG (1.40 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7176.JPG (1.46 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7177.JPG (1.58 MB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7178.JPG (1.29 MB, 2 views)
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Here are the remaining images. If you guys see anything obviously wrong or weird, I'd love to know! =D
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7179.JPG (1.77 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7180.JPG (1.55 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7181.JPG (1.19 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7182.JPG (1.33 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7183.JPG (1.83 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7184.JPG (1.68 MB, 6 views)
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:50 PM
Vendor

Sorry, typo, EZ2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode