Ibanez Late 80's Early 90's Neon Paint Match - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By pwsusi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Late 80's Early 90's Neon Paint Match

A few months ago Ben started a thread about his custom Road Flare Red 7 string. He basically cracked the code for the neon paints used on the early Jem's, 5XX and 7XX guitars by finding a line of paint from dayglo that matches DY, RFR, LNG, etc..
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f20/ng...ry-134161.html

This is great if you want to paint a whole guitar, but if someone wanted a small quantity to touch up a few small chips or something you'd be looking at about 50 bucks for a whole quart which would be enough to paint multiple guitars. I happened to stumble upon Testors line of fluorescent model paint. I did a little research and found (to the best of knowledge) that Testors uses Dayglo pigments . So....I they were cheap enough and had to buy a few to do a little experiment comparing Testors to Dayglo to the original guitars.

Here are the results of what I found and how i think the colors translate

Ibanez color ---> Dayglo equivalent ---> Testors equivalent
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Desert Yellow ---> Saturn Yellow ---> Yellow Fluorescent
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Loch Ness Green ---> Signal Green? ---> Green - Fluorescent?
Road Flare Red ---> Rocket Red ---> NA??
Five Alarm Red ---> Fire Orange ---> Red Fluorescent or Fluorescent Red Orange
Carotene Orange ---> Blaze Orange ---> Orange Fluorescent
Shocking Pink ---> Neon Red? Auroa Pink? ---> Pink - Fluorescent?
Magenta ---> Corona Magenta ---> NA??

The good news is that the Testors paint is spot on (as is the dayglo that i've seen). The bad news is that the testors doesn't come in all the dayglo colors. The ones with a question mark are the ones i suspect are correct but don't have guitars to compare to. The NA's are where i think Testors doesn't offer an equivalent (too bad they don't have something to match RFR)

I only bought a few as bottles of the Testors as I only have DY, RFR, CO and FA guitars to compare to. Here are some pictures...

DY (matches the 20th anniversary better than original DY as the newer guitars have more of a green tint. The guitar in the pic is a 20th anniversary)

Carotene Orange

Five Alarm Red - (Testors sells "Red Fluorescent FS28915 and Fluorescent Red Orange FS28913. I bought them both and they look identical to me)

Here is the dayglo palate

Here is some other photos from Ben's dayglo thread
http://s263.photobucket.com/user/pws...Guitars/Dayglo

Happy touching up.
Ayrton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Ibanez Late 80's Early 90's Neon Paint Match

Thats a really cool surprise man.....Thank you

I have to ask if you did any spot checks with the Testors paints? All to often paints dry a different color than how the appear in the jar/bottle/can. Maybe you could try a little spot test inside your spring cavities or under the trem?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Thats a really cool surprise man.....Thank you

I have to ask if you did any spot checks with the Testors paints? All to often paints dry a different color than how the appear in the jar/bottle/can. Maybe you could try a little spot test inside your spring cavities or under the trem?
Hey man, thanks. Yes I did do a spot check on a piece of white paper to see if it dried a different color. I was thinking the neon would have to go on a white base as they are usually somewhat transparent so thought the white paper would be good. When it dried the color wasn't all that different and match well. I like your idea of doing a small test somewhere inconspicuous on one of the guitars. I hadn't thought of that and will give it a try.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:09 PM

Great post. Thanks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:45 PM

Just FYI, I emailed Dayglo and asked for a "sample" + swatch panel, and they sent me a GIANT container of their neon pink (I forget the exact color name). FREE.

I couldn't believe it. I was expecting like... an ounce sample... and I got a container that was probably 20oz or more. I felt kinda terrible, and gave it to a friend who's a woodworker.

Now, the kicker here is that I'm not sure if they'll send you a specific color if you request it, but might be worth a try. I didn't ask, so I ended up with neon pink.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 03:54 AM

I'm about to have my '91 RG550 and RG560 refinished with the Dayglo paints. I have a few questions that I'm hoping others could help me figure.

In Ben's video he mentioned that he primed the guitar bright white before applying the road flare red. I'm assuming this would apply to the other colors as well to get that glow? I'm curious if just mixing the white to the paint would have the same affect?

Which paint was used, the enamel or the acrylic?

Thanks
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalanthony View Post
I'm about to have my '91 RG550 and RG560 refinished with the Dayglo paints. I have a few questions that I'm hoping others could help me figure.

In Ben's video he mentioned that he primed the guitar bright white before applying the road flare red. I'm assuming this would apply to the other colors as well to get that glow? I'm curious if just mixing the white to the paint would have the same affect?

Which paint was used, the enamel or the acrylic?

Thanks
The neon paints are semi transparent, so you want to use a white base and paint the neon on top of that. This applies to all the neon colors, not just RFR. DO NOT mix the white and dayglo together. that will change the color of the paint. as for the type of paint, they make these colors in both acrylic and brushing enamel...go with the enamel.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:14 AM

I did a guitar in House Of Kolor Shimirin Neon Green.... was very close to the LNG

Here is a link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/818393...57634237960433
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the mixing. Glad I confirmed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwsusi View Post
The neon paints are semi transparent, so you want to use a white base and paint the neon on top of that. This applies to all the neon colors, not just RFR. DO NOT mix the white and dayglo together. that will change the color of the paint. as for the type of paint, they make these colors in both acrylic and brushing enamel...go with the enamel.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean777 View Post
I did a guitar in House Of Kolor Shimirin Neon Green.... was very close to the LNG

Here is a link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/818393...57634237960433
sorry to revive an old thread but the RG30th thread made me do some search on color matching and found this one,.

@Sean777 your LNG lookalike RG350 is pretty awesome! I should not have seen this as you made me think about something... :P

Tags
dy rfr co lng sk fa mg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in