Ibanez LO TRS II replacement trem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez LO TRS II replacement trem

K, so this is my first post, and i've looked all over this site but couldn't find a difinitive answer. k, so i was given a 2000 Ibanez JEM555 from my friend because he had no more use to it. He said the only problem with it was the tremolo, after heavy use, it will not stay in tune. So i brought it to my local gutiar shop for a complete setup and i will admit that it did stay in tune for about 2 or 3 hours of heavy use, but will eventually go flat. i am sick and tired of this peice of s**t trem. So my question is does anyone know a quality bridge that could replace this, with minimal or no routing??? (Ibanez Lo-Trs Trem II)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Ibanez LO TRS II replacement trem

It's talked about all over this site, so I don't know how you missed it in search.

In saying that the Gotoh will fit with little to no routing. It's a fantastic trem too. Change out the old studs and anchors and replace with the high quality Gotoh locking units. The LO-TRS II studs are half the problem with tuning stability.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
It's talked about all over this site, so I don't know how you missed it in search.

In saying that the Gotoh will fit with little to no routing. It's a fantastic trem too. Change out the old studs and anchors and replace with the high quality Gotoh locking units. The LO-TRS II studs are half the problem with tuning stability.
+1

Get some descent studs, new springs and you might be ok.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafigator View Post
+1

Get some descent studs, new springs and you might be ok.
I doubt it. When I said the LO-TRS II studs were half the problem, the other half I didn't mention were the knife edges on the LO-TRS II. Both will go about the same time.

Buy a Gotoh licensed FR, and make sure you replace the studs and anchors too. If it's not a job you can do yourself pay someone to do it. Just replacing the trem sans studs is only half the job, and you'll still have tuning instability issues.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks very much, i was hoping to put an OFR in but if a gotoh will work better then i will probably try that. thanks for your input.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Here's a great option with minimal routing--it's very easy to do with just a Dremel and router bit:
http://projectguitar.com/tut/trs2lopro.htm

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
In saying that the Gotoh will fit with little to no routing. It's a fantastic trem too.
Including studs and anchors?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melek Taus View Post
Including studs and anchors?
No. The trem should fit in the route, but you will have to pull out the old anchors and make the holes larger to accommodate the larger Gotoh ones. Well worth it though.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks AlaskaBat, i think i will try that option
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM

Reviews: 6

Just be careful with the finish -- the guy doing the work on the link posted above is doing it on an oil-finished body. If you're not careful, you can chip the finish on something like a Jem. A good sharp bit and a steady hand are key.

Tags
lo trs ii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode