Ibanez Naming Conventions: What Would They Name This Fictional Model - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez Naming Conventions: What Would They Name This Fictional Model

Does anyone here have a firm grasp on Ibanez's strategy for naming their guitars? Specifically, I'm talking about the RG series.

If so, here's a weird (but hopefully fun) question for ya:

I've started a project to create what is essentially a 7-string version of a 90's era RG550 (similar to Ben Eller's project) in DSY. If Ibanez ever actually created such a guitar, what would they name it? RG5507? RG7550?

Here are some other details about my project that might affect the naming:

- 2 Humbuckers (instead of HSH)
- 3-way switch (instead of 5-way)
- Edge Pro trem
- 3-piece maple/bubinga neck
- Scalloped frets 21 - 24
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Re: Ibanez Naming Conventions: What Would They Name This Fictional Model

Sounds awesome!

Maybe RG7-520, which is what they stamped on the necks of the the earliest RG7620 guitars. The RG520 was the only H-H Ibanez RG I can think of from around that time.

I think it'd need a single coil to get an RG7-550 number.

Last edited by cardinal; 05-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
Sounds awesome!

Maybe RG7-520, which is what they stamped on the necks of the the earliest RG7620 guitars. The RG520 was the only H-H Ibanez RG I can think of from around that time.

I think it'd need a single coil to get an RG7-550 number.
Interesting idea. I knew the pup configuration might play into this somehow, but I wasn't sure how.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 04:33 PM

X20 HH
X50 HSH Pickguard
X60 SSH
X65 SH
X70 HSH
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 PM

Oh **** you're getting into a lot of weird history which I've spent a lot of brain power trying to unravel.

The main point is that in 2003, when the Edge Pro was released, Ibanez changed the number covention fron the traditional method to the new way. Briefly, in the past guitars would be RG550, RG570, etc. when they came out with the seven they added that after the RG. You might see either RG7620 or RG7-620. So that would be an RG7, 600 Series, 20 configuration which means rear route HH pickups.

In 2003 they switched to the 1000, 2000, 3000 Series guitars. The 7 in the model number moves to the end. So an RG1527 is a 1000 Series guitar (Prestige, V Series pickups, 520 configuration). If Ben's guitar had a middle pickup it would be clearly an RG1557 (excusing the fact that it isn't front route). I'm unaware of any HH guitars with pickguards made by Ibanez so I have no model reference. Here you run into the issue that the numbering convention for the last two digits isn't well thought out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Well, I may end up just going rogue and doing the KORN thing. Instead of calling it an Apex, I could call it... something like... Apogee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode