Ibanez neck thru fitting - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez neck thru fitting

Hi again guys. This is basically a question about how to achieve a neck thru construction on an rg body. I just want to know how to do it really. I prefer neck thru construction, so I wanted to ask you guys how I'd go about it. I have an rg 1527 7 string body and was going to go for a prestige neck (recommendations would be great!) with a ZR7 or edge 7 bridge. If anyone has any info on how to get a seamless neck thru join that's not gonna budge. I know a sturdy neck is important so I don't want to compromise the strength of the neck. Hopefully this makes sense... :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:47 PM

Re: Ibanez neck thru fitting

Errr, a neck through is when the neck runs the entire length of the body as one piece & the sides (wings) of the body are attached to that with the cap/top (top face of body) placed over all of it..

I think you are thinking of a set neck construction, like a Gibson.. Any way, not possible to adapt pre made Ibanez parts to do either of those things really I don't think.. These two design methods and bolt-on are totally different, and built to be one style from the outset. Hope that helps..
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok that helps. Thanks. I've got a xiphos which has a neck thru design and it's really comfortable to play. But if I can't adapt a bolt on, that's fair enough. I was sure the xiphos was made with the neck glued to the body :/ well I'd love to hear all sides of this. If some genius at ibanez knows of a way, I'll be a hell of a lot happier. Lol. Thanks for the info dude.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Also I want to paint the neck the same as the body. So wanted to find a way of making the neck look like it was part of the body with no join. Hopefully someone. An offer some insight?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Build an RG "style" guitar from scratch. By the sounds of it, and I mean no disrespect, but it sounds like you don't have much experience in this area. Might be best to find a luthier to do it.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

I don't have much experience at all. Just wanted to find out if there was a way to do what I wanted to do. If not, I'll just bolt the neck on. I got the body for free and have most of the parts to build this guitar. That was just the one thing I was curious about. Only 2 major things needed answering really: how best to repair the top horn and how could I seamlessly join the neck to the body? I know how to do everything else. It sucks that I can't get the neck I wanted, but it's a small compromise on what is hopefully gonna turn out to be a nice guitar to play. Cheers for the help though man. All help (and criticism) appreciated.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM

I can't recall where I read about converting a bolt-on to a thru neck "style". There was a post of a "conversion" where the author had:
1)stripped the paint from the neck heel and neck pocket
2)drilled the body for neck ferrules (it previously had a strat-style neck plate)
3)filled the pocket and heel with glue
4) and immediately bolted the neck on
5)when glue was dry, he filled all the holes with bondo and started sanding the heel to make it look almost as if it was a thru neck.
6) painted over it.

It seems a lenghty process for an RG that already has excellent upper fret access. In my experience with RGs and Carvin thru-necks. The carvin has a more comfortable upper register, but only slightly.

Carvin and stewmac will sell you a thru-neck style neck that just needs wings glued on and pockets routed. They ~200 if I recall. I considered doing this for a while, but opted for the RG in the end. I must say, carvin's through necks are great!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 01:41 PM

Reviews: 2

It is possible to "mimic" a set neck/thru neck, but I assure you that the work involved would not be worth the risk of making the guitar unplayable. If the neck is not glued perfectly and the neck angle is not figured prior to gluing, the guitar will be..........well, less than desirable.

Andrew highlighted most of the steps involved above, but to insure a better chance of it working there's a lot more to be done.

The first thing you have to do is to determine the size of shim your body needs, then you have to make it fit the entire joint perfectly.

Thanks for the pic Jesse!!

next you'll need to determine if your pocket requires a side to side shim to keep the neck in perfect alignment........If it does you'll need to make that. sorry, no pics of that.

Once you have your shims made PERFECTLY (remember, you only get one shot at this) it's time to glue things up. coat ALL of the neck joint, neck heel and shims liberally with titebond (original) glue. Assemble the pieces quickly then bolt the neck on using the original neck screws. throwing a squeeze clamp on the joint would be a good idea as well. Let it sit for a day or two to fully cure.

Now that the glue has cured, remove the screws. Now you have to dowel the screw holes through the body and into the neck. A drill press is an ABSOLUTE necessity here. You need to drill out the existing holes to at least 3/8", but I would go with 1/2" myself.
These holes need to be the full depth of the original holes. now you need to glue in maple dowels that are fully pressed into the new holes.......let cure.

You can now start sanding to shape your heel. when your finished shaping, you'll probably have to fill the hole where the screw ferrules were originally in the guitar.

Prime and paint.

After all this, I'm sure you can see why Andrews suggestion of a pre-made neck is such a good one. If you decide to go through with it, take lots of pics so you can post them here.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the detailed info! Actually really helped! I think based on that, I'm gonna go for a bolt on. It does seem a little dangerous (to the guitar) to try to make it look like a neck thru. Gutted, but it's got to be that way. Any thoughts on painted bolt on necks? I just really like the feel of them. I still want the neck the same colour as the body, but not if it's gonna look lame. Lol. Thanks again guys.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM

Reviews: 2

I like the look of painted necks too.......just not the feel so much. What color is your 1527?

Tags
ibanez , neck , neck thru , prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode