IBANEZ RG2020, Lo Pro Edge setup. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

IBANEZ RG2020, Lo Pro Edge setup.

Hi,

I needed some help setting the angle on my guitar and although I have had some experience with setting up a floating tremolo, I have forgotten a few things and require help remembering a few things that need to be done when setting the bridge's angle i.e. lowering or raising the bridge. I had taken it to a shop recently and the fretboard was cleaned and the strings were changed. I'm not too worried about any buzzing right now or anything else, such as intonation etc. or even action height as I just want to set the tremolo angle/bridge angle. I also want to skip the part where the strings need to be stretched ( as mentioned on Ibanez Rules' website, and others) since I think that needs ot be done after the bridge angle is set??

The bridge is raised, which means that the strings are pulling it up, or that if I drop the tuning by a half step or so then the bridge would settle down. So my questions are :

1. When turning/tigheting the screws in the back cavity, do I need to detune all of the strings first? Do I need to first detune the strings and then tighten the screws at the back or do I need to tighten them without detuning the strings and retuning them? This would mean that I would have to detune and retune before after every 1/4 or 1/8th turn. Excuse me if I'm wrong but that's just how I learnt it a long time back, that the stirngs should be loosened and the bridge depressed before tightening the screws in the back/spring cavity, and then raised again/retuned to check the angle.

2. How much should I turn the screws at the back, at a time? Should they be 1/4 or 1/8th turns?

3. Since the tremolo/bridge angle is to be setup with the tuners at neutral position according to the pictures, and the guitar is to be locked with the tuners turned halfway (for fine tuning), I'm guessing that I should set the angle height with the tuners at neutral and once that is done, turn the tuners down halfway, check the tuning and then proceed to lock the strings at the nut? I'm using the first two (and other) images on google images search as a guide, keywords being : ibanez lo pro edge tremolo angle. I'm sorry I couldn't post individual links and photographs, my post count isn't 10 yet. Those and similar photographs are my reference. I think one of the photographs is from the jemsite page on how to setup the tremolo, but the photographs don't download/appear when I click on the page. In all similar photograpsh for the bridghe height and angle the tuners are all at neutral. So, how should I go about setting the tuners at the middle position or should I set the angle with the tuners at the middle position?

4. Once I have accomplished that is that the correct time to stretch/loosen the strings? Should I only bend the strings or should I use the tremolo arm as well? For how long should I do that and after how long should I proceed to the next step/stage?
5. Do I check the action now or/and later i.e. after I have locked the strings?
6. When do I need to check the intonation and also check for buzzing ( & actions)?

I have another question not relating to the bridge's/tremolo's angle/height/setup, and it has 2 parts to it ; (7.) What will happen to the guitar if I leave the locking nuts open (besides it going out of tune), and, secondly, what will happen if I leave the locks open and install a tremol no and set it to dive only mode. My reason for asking is this that I want to know if there will negative effects on any part or aspect of the instrument, such as neck bow etc.

If someone could answer the 3-4 questions on top then maybe I can get the bridge down, but unitl then I cannot proceed as I don't know whether I'm supposed to loosen the strings or not before tightening the screws in the spring cavity. Please excuse my grammar, spelling and noobness. I would appreciate it if someone could help me out, otherwise I'm going nowhere and the guitar's neck has got F# or so worth of tension on it (what your bridge would look like if you set it up for E and tune it to F/F#).

Last edited by bomberdoom; 02-14-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM

Re: IBANEZ RG2020, Lo Pro Edge setup.

You really are making a lot more out of this than you really need to. Since you referenced Ibanezrules.com you should follow the procedure he's posted there since it's the correct way to set up your trem.

But in short. Tune your guitar to pitch, then adjust the springs to raise or lower the angle of the trem. Keep repeating this until it's in tune and the angle is correct.

Before you start set the fine tuners in the middle of their range of motion.

You can turn the trem claw screws as much as you need to to get the trem level, you don't need to baby them. Pay close attention to the turns you need to get the trem movement you're after and you'll get the hang of it. You need to pay attention and just do it and eventually it will be second nature. Trem's too high? Tighten the screws. Trem's too low? Loosen them.

Don't lock the nut until you're ready to stretch the strings, and then do it exactly like Rich at Ibanezrules.com says to and it will seat your trem perfectly as well and get it returning to pitch perfectly after bends.

Hope this helps...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
You really are making a lot more out of this than you really need to. Since you referenced Ibanezrules.com you should follow the procedure he's posted there since it's the correct way to set up your trem.

But in short. Tune your guitar to pitch, then adjust the springs to raise or lower the angle of the trem. Keep repeating this until it's in tune and the angle is correct.

Before you start set the fine tuners in the middle of their range of motion.

You can turn the trem claw screws as much as you need to to get the trem level, you don't need to baby them. Pay close attention to the turns you need to get the trem movement you're after and you'll get the hang of it. You need to pay attention and just do it and eventually it will be second nature. Trem's too high? Tighten the screws. Trem's too low? Loosen them.

Don't lock the nut until you're ready to stretch the strings, and then do it exactly like Rich at Ibanezrules.com says to and it will seat your trem perfectly as well and get it returning to pitch perfectly after bends.

Hope this helps...
Hey Swirltop, thanks for replying.

I ask becuase I have only had experience with a floyd rose and not any of the Ibanez bridges. I was given information earlier, orI came across it on youtube or the web, that I should loosen all the strnigs first and then adjust the screws at the back, retune it, and then check the angle and if it needs to be tightened anymore (i.e. the bridge lowered) then the strings should be loosened again , the screws tightened and the guitar tuned to pitch again to check the bridge height. I was told to do it in this way and repeat this process.

I also came across earlier posts on this forum itself which stated to only turn the screws 1/4 or so turn at a time.

Are you sure (very sure) that I can just go ahead and turn the spring screws at the back (any which way) while the guitar is still in tune or do I need to release some of the tension in the strings first? Won't the strings snap if i tune it to E from one side, and then tighten the screws at the back and pull them the other way?

Could you also possibly answer my last question? I would like to know what effect loosening the string locks has on the guitar, it's neck and wood, if I was to either install a tremol no or put a block of wood in the back cavity. What would happen if I disabled (or turned off the trem) and didn't lock the strings? Would it create a bow or have any negative effects on the guitar?

Last edited by bomberdoom; 02-14-2013 at 08:58 PM.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 120

It seems like you really are trying to over-analyse this. Follow the instructions on setting up the bridge at Ibanez Rules, you'll be fine (as will your guitar).

The strings shouldn't snap from going a little sharp, but if you are really worried d-tune them a smidge and tighten the claw.

Loosening the string locks does nothing but unlock the strings. It's not going to affect your neck. I have no idea where you would have come up with that thought either. Certainly not one that's ever crossed my mind.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 PM

Reviews: 2

Hey Bomber, don't worry about hurting your guitar........you wont. loosening or removing the lock-nuts will have no negative affects on your guitars structure.

Stretch your strings first......... you'll never know if a setting is right if the string itself isn't stable.

You can turn the claw screws as much as you want without trouble, your strings can take it. We suggest a 1/4 turn at a time because, most often, it doesn't require much more to achieve balance.... sometimes it takes more. FWIW, I've always adjusted the claw screws first then re-tuned. When you adjust the claw screws, all the strings change pitch together, making re-tuning a lot easier.

Tags
ibanez rg lo pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode