Ibanez RG350m question, bridge replacement - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG350m question, bridge replacement

Hello all, I'm pretty new so if this question doesn't belong here I apologize!

So a few years ago I purchased this guitar from a friend of mine, mainly because it was a steal of a deal and I liked the look of the guitar. Before hand I was using some pretty crappy Strat knockoffs, and being that I play mainly metal and dropped tuning jams, it wasn't working out well. This guitar has performed for me greatly, but I'm planning on dropping a set of Bare Knuckle Miracle Man or Aftermaths into it here soon. The problem is I don't want to invest into the guitar, based on the bridge.

The bridge has been replaced with an Ibanez Edge II I believe, based on some research. The sides of the bridge have been shaved off to make the bridge fit in the cavity correctly. I believe this was done because the bridge is gold, which looks way cooler than the original black bridge that comes with the guitar stock. I'm worried that because of this, the bridge won't sit right over time or when I start making these pick up modifications. I have a friend who works in a local recording studio who had mentioned that when you alter the bridge itself it can affect balancing which will throw the guitar off. Now I haven't had any issues with this, but before I make and additional investments into this thing, I want to be sure. Below are pictures, thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Ibanez RG350m question, bridge replacement

Do you have some pictures of the guitar and the current bridge? It's a bit hard to gauge what you have based on saying Edge II. It wouldn't be an Edge II, maybe an Edge Pro II or Edge III. At any rate throw some pictures up and we can work from there.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Not sure if that'll work I can't upload or set images due to post count so I set as attatchment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_03562_zps90e353ae.jpg (70.6 KB, 2 views)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 01:02 AM

Ok, hard to tell what the aftermarket bridge is you have in there, but judging by the colour you've got a guitar that originally had an Edge III. What's the serial number on the back of the headstock?

If it had an Edge III originally your best bet for easy install is an Edge Pro. Pricey but a good unit. You'll want to upgrade the studs and anchors too.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Banned

Looks like a Mighty Mite.
You can put a Gotoh in...or any trem with 74mm post spacing.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzillaPopcicle View Post
Looks like a Mighty Mite.
You can put a Gotoh in...or any trem with 74mm post spacing.
They won't fit the route without modifying it though. That's a pretty important piece of info that you left out.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2013, 11:32 PM

Reviews: 2

That thing sure looks like a Lo-TRS II to me. It looks like it says Ibanez on the bass side..... can you confirm Proj?

Either way, as LP said- the original was an Edge III. The best upgrade you can make would be an edge-pro with new studs and anchors.

Save you money on the pups and spend it on a great trem instead. It will take you a LOT further than a pickup upgrade.

To answer your question...... No, I wouldn't spend a penny on any other upgrades with that trem in it.

Tags
bridge replacment , custom , ibanez , rg350m

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode