Ibanez RG450 Bridge - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG450 Bridge

Hello all,

New to the site and kinda new to modding guitars;

I have a fair bit of experience setting up floyd rose style trems however this is the first time I have gone to actually replace a bridge

Basically I have just got a 94 RG450 in the most disugsting colour of green I could imagine, which was kindly donated to me from my sister for £50

Decided I wanted to try and restore it to a certain extent as it has certainly seen better days;

The "Ibanez Lo-TRS" bridge, not actually used one of these before, however the knife edge is practically dead, many rusty parts etc etc

So I decided to replace the bridge, however when I took the bridge out the body inserts appear to be bent;

This is probably a stupid question but; I take it that this is not normal?

Does anybody have any experience replacing the body inserts for the bridge,
As it is on quite a slant, or one of them at least, would it be easy enough to remove the inserts, fill the holes and just redrill for the new bridge?

Thanks for any help guys its much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM

Re: Ibanez RG450 Bridge

well, that is probably the way to go (fill and drill) while you are at it, do some cutting for lopro edge or edge.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Reviews: 120

If its a 94 model it won't have a LO-TRS II. It should have an Edge. Jus hold up a moment before doing anything and get some pics for us. An edge is an excellent trem.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
If its a 94 model it won't have a LO-TRS II. It should have an Edge. Jus hold up a moment before doing anything and get some pics for us. An edge is an excellent trem.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0&FORM=IDFRIR
according to the specs here it came with a LO TRS II. I recently bought a RG450EG ( this has to be the same guitar he is talking about) and it had a LO TRS II in it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Reviews: 120

Sorry you're right. It was 93 that was the last year for the Edge. I forgot, I've even got a 94 neck from a Korean 470!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Sorry you're right. It was 93 that was the last year for the Edge. I forgot, I've even got a 94 neck from a Korean 470!
i bought the 450 just for the maple neck. those things are hard to come by
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:55 AM

The studs, stud inserts, or the wood is bent?

http://static.keebali.com/jemsite.co...g/t_edg-pr.gif

If the studs are bent or inserts are warped, they can be yanked out and replaced. If the wood around the inserts is stretched oval, common from years of trem bar use, there is a fix for that on ibanezrules which involves superglue and wood glue. I used it on my last rg and it came out solid and withstands heavy bar use. For larger damage you can drill it out and glue in a larger wooden dowel, then drill out the proper size holes to press in new stud inserts. Whatever you do there is very likely to be stronger than it ever was before.

Edit to add... if one looks slanted the other is probably torqued forward too, this was mentioned on ibanezrules as well. I went ahead and put a wrench on my 'good looking' stud and pushed back very hard, sure enough it popped back about 1 mm. If one looks bad probably best to yank both out and do a complete repair.

Last edited by axel_f; 02-26-2012 at 02:09 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I have found a few things confusing when looking at the serial and then doing the specs.

The bridge is a Lo TRS however everywhere I look it should be TRS II
On the plus side I have managed to find am original Floyd in black that is still boxed and he only wants 100 for it.
It's from a project my friend was doing but never got round to.

As for the inserts. I can't post any pictures as I have not made enough posts yet.
One of the inserts looks like it has been screwed in for it is learning forward and the other is straight up if that makes sense.

Thanks again guys
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I have found a few things confusing when looking at the serial and then doing the specs.

The bridge is a Lo TRS however everywhere I look it should be TRS II
On the plus side I have managed to find am original Floyd in black that is still boxed and he only wants 100 for it.
It's from a project my friend was doing but never got round to.

As for the inserts. I can't post any pictures as I have not made enough posts yet.
One of the inserts looks like it has been screwed in for it is learning forward and the other is straight up if that makes sense.

Thanks again guys
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

hey guys. Thanks for all the info.

Decided to take the plunge. Lo pro edge on order. Should be here tomorrow.

Paint is proving a little difficult to get off but bit of elbow grease and should be a good un
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSnowman View Post
hey guys. Thanks for all the info.

Decided to take the plunge. Lo pro edge on order. Should be here tomorrow.

Paint is proving a little difficult to get off but bit of elbow grease and should be a good un
Cool, are you removing paint for a refinish? If so you might just want to sand the original finish a little and prime/ paint right over it.

This will probably help with the trem conversion, if you haven't read it already...
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/lo...on-110002.html
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Hey good posting mate. I have been looking for that but my google skills must be getting weak.

Take it back to wood if possible as contemplating staining it as opposed to painting.

Going to get it in Photoshop before I decide though.
There is the odd dent anyway so trying to smooth the guitar out in general.

Taking plenty of pics anyway so as long as I don't **** something up I may post the pictures.

As for the bridge one of my mates is going to machine it for me as he has a warehouse full of actual machines.
Where as I have a sanding block and some sandpaper.

Want to stain it but with it being a maple neck I don't want too much of a contrast

Tags
ibanez rg450 lo trs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode