Ibanez RG550 crack from nut screws - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Ibanez RG550 crack from nut screws

Hey. I'm thinking about buying a used RG550.
Everything looks great apart from rusty saddle intonation screws and a little crack that goes vertically, along with the neck, near the nut tightening screws. It's about 2 inches long I think. Not really that bad. I know that cracks that goes across the neck underneath the headstock can be critical, though it can be fixed.

But a crack that goes along the neck, is it bad? I can't upload a picture of it right now because I'm on a smartphone. But do any of you have experience with this kind of crack? :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez RG550 crack from nut screws

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/attach...1&d=1367239282 Here's a picture of it :-)

You can see some cracks around the bottom nut tightening screw, and a bigger crack beside the top screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_1rsz_1dscn5499.jpg (95.7 KB, 29 views)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

Reviews: 11

90% of the time those are not as bad as they appear. Just make sure the neck isn't flexing weird, and that it holds tune and I would buy given right price. That said, a crack that bad murders value, so if you are paying over 200$ for that, you should pass.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
90% of the time those are not as bad as they appear. Just make sure the neck isn't flexing weird, and that it holds tune and I would buy given right price. That said, a crack that bad murders value, so if you are paying over 200$ for that, you should pass.
Well, I'm actually paying about 600 if I'm going to buy it. It's probably too much, I don't know. I have been dreaming about getting this model for a long time, and I live in a small country, so it's hard to find this model. I guess if I get the crack glued by a luther, it would last for another 100 years, maybe?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM

Reviews: 11

Haha.... 600 is WAYYY too much. 600 will get you a great condition example in a color that's desireable. Black = cheaper. Nut crack = cheaper. I would find abetter example for your money personally.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Haha.... 600 is WAYYY too much. 600 will get you a great condition example in a color that's desireable. Black = cheaper. Nut crack = cheaper. I would find abetter example for your money personally.
Well the guitar has the Desert Yellow finish which is pretty nice. But about the nut crack I guess you are right.. Wow, that crack is really frustrating. But do you think can the nut crack get fixed by any chance? I mean, the guitar has the Original Edge and decent pickups, and it's crafted in Japan, so I guess it should have some value even though the neck has a crack on it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 13

Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself in to it. There is better value out there if you show some patience.

-Wolfram
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 PM

Reviews: 120

Bargain. They are hard to find in your country so we really have to take that into account. Outside the US we rarely, if ever have the wonders of $200 Japanese RGs available to us. I'd tell him that crack needs repairing (it is easy enough and will be strong enough with a proper fix) to make it truly playable. Factor in at least $100 or more for a luthier to fix. How much does one charge per hour in your country? Take that out of the cost and a little more. I'd offer $400-450. Leave it at that, if they won't bite then walk away.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself in to it. There is better value out there if you show some patience.

-Wolfram
Well, I guess you are right. I just want to make sure that I won't regret leaving the guitar to another person. The only time I saw a simular model in my country, was the road flare red for about 1200, used. Which is completely insane.. I'm just getting really frustrated because I'm a big 80's enthusiast, and this guitar is simply the best looking RG I've seen, with the RG565 models.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Ibanez RG550 crack from nut screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Bargain. They are hard to find in your country so we really have to take that into account. Outside the US we rarely, if ever have the wonders of $200 Japanese RGs available to us. I'd tell him that crack needs repairing (it is easy enough and will be strong enough with a proper fix) to make it truly playable. Factor in at least $100 or more for a luthier to fix. How much does one charge per hour in your country? Take that out of the cost and a little more. I'd offer $400-450. Leave it at that, if they won't bite then walk away.
Finally someone who understands me :-) I don't know what they charge. I've been looking for some prices, and most of the luthiers take about 200, and more. Well that is for cracked neck, where the headstock actually is about to fall off. I guess this is another case.. Or is it? I've read somewhere that, the luthier will have to make the gap even bigger to perform the a propper fix. I'm not sure, I have no experience with these cracks because I take very good care of my guitars.

- I think 400-450 is a fair price yes. Good advice LonePhantom!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM

Reviews: 120

If you are happy to try it yourself, you could fix it. Takes some good wood glue, a bunch of clamps and leaving it to dry for a couple of days.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm

Guitar's like this are not an easy find outside of the US, and importing one is quite often out of the question due to high import taxes and the like. Buying one in the country is sometimes a little cheaper.

If you can get the guitar for $400, and fix the neck you should be golden. Fix it yourself so you can save some money, or have yourself budgeted at $600 so you can buy the guitar and have a couple of hundred left to fix it. If the rest of the guitar is perfect then it'll end up being a good buy.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
If you are happy to try it yourself, you could fix it. Takes some good wood glue, a bunch of clamps and leaving it to dry for a couple of days.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm

Guitar's like this are not an easy find outside of the US, and importing one is quite often out of the question due to high import taxes and the like. Buying one in the country is sometimes a little cheaper.

If you can get the guitar for $400, and fix the neck you should be golden. Fix it yourself so you can save some money, or have yourself budgeted at $600 so you can buy the guitar and have a couple of hundred left to fix it. If the rest of the guitar is perfect then it'll end up being a good buy.
Thanks for the link! I would be happy to try it myself. This crack is a bit different from the one in the instruction, but I guess the procedure would be the same?
You are right about the import taxes. I'm gonna go for the 400 and see what the seller thinks!

I am going to have a look on the guitar today. Hopefully everything else is fine.

Tags
crack , neck , nut , rg550

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode