Ibanez RG570 1993 - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Re: Ibanez RG570 1993

I've finally received some minor generic parts so I'm ready to get started on replacing and adding them. I had already ordered a set of plastic pickup rings because they were only $4 and I don't have a whole lot to spend. I got some replacement ring screws and pickup springs because the Ibanez were missing quite a bit of those (it's amazing how you can spend $25 and receive a little bag with only some simple hardware). Also I received the string clamps and the screws for them to replace those that were missing on the locking nut.

Dee, thanks for those numbers to search on e bay. Eventually I would definitely like to get some metal pickup rings. Also, thanks to Wilch I now realize what bobbin toppers are and that they can be replaced as well which I would like to do. I think my next replacement parts will be the knobs and tremolo bar.

Two quick questions if you don't mind.

I'm missing the hex bar (or allen wrench) that is suppose to come with the guitar and I believe sits next to the pegs. I have a partial wrench hex set and a few bit sets of hex bars but I noticed that every one I had did NOT fit. I believe 1/8" is just a bit too big. Any idea on what size the hex bar should be so I can pick one up? Thanks.

Also, once I get that hex bar to release the strings I will finally get started on attempting to clean the bridge up. I still have not found a specific cleaner so I'm going to try WD-40 on it. If you all see that this would not be the best solution, please give me a yell. Thank you.

One last thing (sorry, I know I've rambled on long enough). Is there anything other than the springs that is suppose to hold the whole bridge unit in place? I took the spring bar off and took the springs off and the whole thing just sorta flopped out.

Thanks for any advice once again. I'll get her up and running in no time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Dee

Hex bar = allen key/wrench?

You need these sizes:

7mm box-wrench for the truss rod
4mm allen key for bridge height adjustments posts
3mm allen key for the lock nut and string lock blocks
1.5mm allen key for the locking stud (inside the bridge height adjustment posts)

Last edited by Dee; 02-28-2007 at 10:00 PM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG570 1993 View Post
...Also, thanks to Wilch I now realize what bobbin toppers are and that they can be replaced as well which I would like to do.
not a prob dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG570 1993 View Post
...One last thing (sorry, I know I've rambled on long enough). Is there anything other than the springs that is suppose to hold the whole bridge unit in place? I took the spring bar off and took the springs off and the whole thing just sorta flopped out.
Nope, the only thing that holds the bridge in are the springs which pull the bridge up against the posts to stop it from falling out.

Be careful with the knife edges on the trem. They should be free of any imperfections, otherwise the guitar won't return in tune after using the whammy.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Dee, thank you for those specs. That is perfect. I'll be heading to my home improvement store to buy some singles.

Wilch, thanks for that information. I was a bit worried I needed more parts to keep that sucker intact. I noticed that the knife edges are a bit different. On one side it is a flat edge and on the other side it is arched. I don't know if that was built like that or if someone filed it down.

I have one more question and yes this is going to sound dumb. Is my fingerboard made of maple?

I've been doing what the guy suggested on the Ibanezrules site (great site by the way) with the steel wool to clean it. I broke out the Dunlop fingerboard cleaning kit and both the #1 and #2 (cleaner and conditioner) state that it is "not" to be used on maple fingerboards.

Here is a link to the fingerboard if that helps. If a better pic is needed then please let me know.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4876/dsc01756zk3.jpg
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:22 PM

Yep, one knife edge is supposed to be flat, and the other arched.

Your fingerboard is Rosewood. Maple boards are the white'ish ones.
Maple:
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 AM

Ive got one of them, the exact the same model and year, its a fantastic guitar that has stood up to some abuse. I have just sent it in for a fret level and cant wait to get it back, I would dust that down and get it playing again.

Seth
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethjem7 View Post
Ive got one of them, the exact the same model and year, its a fantastic guitar that has stood up to some abuse. I have just sent it in for a fret level and cant wait to get it back, I would dust that down and get it playing again.

Seth
Hey Seth, do you have a photo by any chance? I was wondering if your headstock contained "RG Series" on the front. I've seen that painted on many headstocks browsing on the internet, however it just displays "Ibanez" by itself on mine. I've also noticed that everyone has metal mounting rings on theirs however mine just had plastic (I bought it used).

Anyway, I've got it cleaned up and I just need to buy some parts for it before I can get it strung up again. I tried Rich's site but never got a response. Wilch, here, mentioned Universal Jems. I might try that place out. It looks like they only sell generic parts though like Stewmac. You see some parts on fEabay from time to time but the auctions do get a bit steep.

Does anyone have any idea how or who to contact to buy direct from the distributors who manufacture Ibanez parts?
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 03:39 AM

Mine doesn't have the "RG Series" on the headstock. Thank God . I don't like it when they have that on there.

The older ones don't seem to.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 04:00 AM

The allen wrenches are millimeter,available at any hardware store.

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , bobbin toppers , bridge height adjustment , cosmo hardware , edge pro bridge , edge pro bridges , electric guitar , floyd rose , fret level , lock nut , locking nut , locking stud , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , pickup ring , pickup rings , planet waves , steel wool , string lock , trem arm , tremolo arm , tremolo bar , tremolo system , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode