Ibanez RG570 1993 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Ibanez RG570 1993

Hi everyone,

First off, I'd like to say that this seems like a great board filled with wonderfully informative members.

I have a few questions if you don't mind. I should say that I'm not very knowledgable with any technical aspects of guitars (so Please be patient).

I'm currently trying to dust off and fix up an Ibanez 1993 Model RG570 that is in rough shape.

1.) What is the reputation of this model of guitar? Good/Bad.

2.) What are the best methods of cleaning this thing up? Any recommeded cleaners, oils and rags for the body, frets and neck? What should I use to clean up the roughed up looking pickups and tremolo system that contain some rust?

3.) What is the best online site to find minor replacement parts? Currently, I'm looking to replace the pickup rings, pickup ring screws and pickup springs and height screws. More importantly I'm also looking to get some blocks and block bolts for the nutlock system. Is the stewmac site a good starting point or are there better and cheaper sites to go to? Does it matter if I buy authentic parts or generic parts?

4.) (I probably won't be messing with the task in this question for awhile but out of curiousity) What would you do with a body that has been stripped of its paint and coating? Would you refinish or repaint it or what other options are available, if any?

I certainly would appreciate any information from you all. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:12 AM

Re: Ibanez RG570 1993

Hi 570, welcome to Jemsite.

In response to your questions...

1) I haven't played a 570 but they do seem to have a god reputation, as does most of the RG series.

2) Check here, excellent advice: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

3) I'm not too clued up on that one, you might want to try searching the internet. Try Rich Harris' website (www.ibanezrules.com).

4) Sorry, I can't help you on that one. But someone round here will be able to!

Hope this helps,

'87
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Not sure how much help I can be. I do own an older RG570 though..

1. What is the reputation of this model of guitar? Good/Bad.

For those that like Ibanez, pretty much any Japanese Edge, or Lo-pro equipped RG has a good rep.

2. What are the best methods of cleaning this thing up? Any recommeded cleaners, oils and rags for the body, frets and neck? What should I use to clean up the roughed up looking pickups and tremolo system that contain some rust?

See above link from Shredder87.

3. What is the best online site to find minor replacement parts? Currently, I'm looking to replace the pickup rings, pickup ring screws and pickup springs and height screws. More importantly I'm also looking to get some blocks and block bolts for the nutlock system. Is the stewmac site a good starting point or are there better and cheaper sites to go to? Does it matter if I buy authentic parts or generic parts?

It might actually be cheaper/easier to actually refinish the pickup rings, screws, and bolts yourself. Clean and spray with some glossy black.

Are you missing the "blocks and block bolts" for the locking nut? If so, you may need to buy some Ibanez replacement parts. Not sure if stewmac have these unfortunately. I'd order through a store.

I don't think generic parts will fit the trem, or the locking nut.

4. (I probably won't be messing with the task in this question for awhile but out of curiousity) What would you do with a body that has been stripped of its paint and coating? Would you refinish or repaint it or what other options are available, if any?

If the wood was good and free of filler, I'd most probably take a blow torch to bits of it, then stain it.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:36 PM

I think the older RG570s are great, as I have a handful of them and they are really easy to customize, etc. I think of them as the Honda Civic of electric guitars. Not expensive, but play great and you can really trick them out. They also give you a pretty good tonal palate to work with.

You could get the Planet Waves body restore kit. I just used the Step 3 "Shine", and it worked wonders on one of my older guitars.

As far at the fretboard and neck, a little steel wool on the frets and some bore oil will go a long way. I use a pretty basic fretboard conditioner, and it works fine. It cleans up nice, and doesn't leave any buildup or a trace it was ever even there (except for a nice shine).

I've probably got some parts lying around here that I won't use (pickup rings, knobs, etc.) so if you wanna PM me or shoot me an e-mail, I'll see what I can do to help you get started.

I use electronics parts cleaner for my trems, believe it or not. I take the whole thing apart and spray a little on each piece, scrub them, and then put it back together and for some reason it works great for me.

As far as the body, if you wanna go cheap and get a good job done, go see a local autobody painter, and offer him like $100 to shoot your gutair and clear it. That would be for starters. Otherwise, if you wanna make a little bit of an investment and get something fancy done, there are plenty of people on this board to contact that will do a more custom job, i.e. graphics, swirl, and you could really have some fun.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87 View Post
2) Check here, excellent advice: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm

3) I'm not too clued up on that one, you might want to try searching the internet. Try Rich Harris' website (www.ibanezrules.com).

Hope this helps,

'87
Thank you, Shredder87. I've just now bookmarked that site and read a bit of it. A good guide and cool site. That guy is very meticulous with his guitar like any self respecting guitar owner should be.

I cannot wait to get this thing cleaned up. I feel a bit bad that I let it deteriorate (especially the rusty pickups). I bought it used and I guess I really don't remember how good or bad it looked to begin with since it has been so long ago. Maybe it was a bit rough to start out with.

Thanks again.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 AM

You will love that guitar once it is up and running.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
Welcome to the forums.

It might actually be cheaper/easier to actually refinish the pickup rings, screws, and bolts yourself. Clean and spray with some glossy black.

Are you missing the "blocks and block bolts" for the locking nut? If so, you may need to buy some Ibanez replacement parts. Not sure if stewmac have these unfortunately. I'd order through a store.

I don't think generic parts will fit the trem, or the locking nut.
Hi Wilch. Thanks for the welcome and the response.

First off, I can't repeat the words here that I exclaimed after seeing the pic of your guitar. Friggen Sweet (would be a massive understatement). Nice work. And nice work making mine look like crap!

Yep, I'm missing the 3 blocks and block bolts. I'm also missing some humbucker springs and a few ring screws which is why I need to replace them instead of giving them a makeover.

I was a little impatient so I went ahead and grabbed a few things from stewmac. If they don't work or fit properly, I guess I can always return them. Not that this thing is remotely valuable or anything but will placing generic parts on this be some sort of taboo move in the guitar world? I think, at the very least, I'd like to track down an original trem arm from another '93 model if possible (maybe knobs too).
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I think the older RG570s are great, as I have a handful of them and they are really easy to customize, etc. I think of them as the Honda Civic of electric guitars. Not expensive, but play great and you can really trick them out. They also give you a pretty good tonal palate to work with.

You could get the Planet Waves body restore kit. I just used the Step 3 "Shine", and it worked wonders on one of my older guitars.

As far at the fretboard and neck, a little steel wool on the frets and some bore oil will go a long way. I use a pretty basic fretboard conditioner, and it works fine. It cleans up nice, and doesn't leave any buildup or a trace it was ever even there (except for a nice shine).

I've probably got some parts lying around here that I won't use (pickup rings, knobs, etc.) so if you wanna PM me or shoot me an e-mail, I'll see what I can do to help you get started.

I use electronics parts cleaner for my trems, believe it or not. I take the whole thing apart and spray a little on each piece, scrub them, and then put it back together and for some reason it works great for me.

As far as the body, if you wanna go cheap and get a good job done, go see a local autobody painter, and offer him like $100 to shoot your gutair and clear it. That would be for starters. Otherwise, if you wanna make a little bit of an investment and get something fancy done, there are plenty of people on this board to contact that will do a more custom job, i.e. graphics, swirl, and you could really have some fun.
Hi jaxadam. Thanks for the help.

I like the Civic analogy. I'm glad you mentioned that electronic parts cleaner on your trem parts. I read once that someone used WD40 on it. Would this type of thing work or do you have something in particular that works best? I was reluctant with the thought about taking everything off but it is reassuring that this is your common practice. Can I use steel wool on the pickups and tremolo or is that too abrasive? Thanks for any additional advice.

Thanks for the offer on the rings and knobs - I don't want to be a bother but that is very generous. Just out of curiousity do you use plastic or metal/chrome type rings?

Thanks again!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
You will love that guitar once it is up and running.
I hope so, Ayrton. I can't wait.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Dee

Wilch, that 570 is HOT!

To the original poster -- the RG570 is a GREAT guitar. Nice to know you're restoring it and giving it a little love that it deserves. The RG570 is pretty much an RG550 without a pickguard, and basically the RG550 is legendary. You can improve the 570 with better pickups if you wanted to, but the basic guitar is a great example of a made in Japan Ibanez with a superb neck and the greatest bridge ever.

Welcome to the site. Hope you stick around.

Quote:
I was a little impatient so I went ahead and grabbed a few things from stewmac. If they don't work or fit properly, I guess I can always return them. Not that this thing is remotely valuable or anything but will placing generic parts on this be some sort of taboo move in the guitar world? I think, at the very least, I'd like to track down an original trem arm from another '93 model if possible (maybe knobs too).
All the tremolo arms for Edge, Lo-Pro and Edge Pro bridges are the same. You can easily find one at the parts at IbanezRules.com or e-Bay. You need the one with the 2 nylon bushings. Try to replace the parts that are missing with original Ibanez stuff, though. It's not hard to come by. I wouldn't use steel wool on anything except the fretboard and frets themselves. Metal pickup rings are best. Plastic ones suck a bit. Is it cosmo hardware (like black chrome)? You should be able to find a couple of those quite easily. Rich at IbanezRules has parts. e-Bay does too. For the fretboard, I swear by Fret Doctor, it's amazing stuff. http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

EDIT:

Lock nut: 170084159927 <--- paste the number into e-Bay's search box.

Pickup rings: 120089186342
Knobs: 170084156056
Trem arm: $18 at IbanezRules.com

Always check Rich's stock first, he usually has good prices on everything.

Last edited by Dee; 02-22-2007 at 02:35 AM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Welcome to the forums.

nice guitar dude, i used to own one exactly like it and my friend had the blue version.
i sold it in 1999 or early 2000 i don't remeber exactly.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG570 1993 View Post
Hi Wilch. Thanks for the welcome and the response.

First off, I can't repeat the words here that I exclaimed after seeing the pic of your guitar. Friggen Sweet (would be a massive understatement). Nice work. And nice work making mine look like crap!
thanks dude. I've had it since new. It was the first Ibanez I bought, and the first thing to ever deplete my bank account to near 0. I saved up for so long. lol

I'm surprised at how well the guitar has stood up to the abuse. Granted I always wiped it down, no matter how drunk I was (lol). It was my primary axe back when I played at pubs, parties, and cruises.

Quote:
Yep, I'm missing the 3 blocks and block bolts. I'm also missing some humbucker springs and a few ring screws which is why I need to replace them instead of giving them a makeover.

I was a little impatient so I went ahead and grabbed a few things from stewmac. If they don't work or fit properly, I guess I can always return them.
You know, the generic stuff might fit. I'm really not too sure now.

Quote:
Not that this thing is remotely valuable or anything but will placing generic parts on this be some sort of taboo move in the guitar world? I think, at the very least, I'd like to track down an original trem arm from another '93 model if possible (maybe knobs too).
Nah, stuff the whole "taboo" thing. Seeing as you're almost starting from scratch, I say make it the guitar you want. That's what I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezdirhard
nice guitar dude, i used to own one exactly like it and my friend had the blue version.
i sold it in 1999 or early 2000 i don't remeber exactly.
Thanks dude .
I don't think I could ever part with mine. I remember my mate always wanted the blue version!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks dude .
I don't think I could ever part with mine. I remember my mate always wanted the blue version!
i was kicking myself 6 months later. for selling it,

it was during one of my no more floyd rose stages.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezdiehard View Post
i was kicking myself 6 months later. for selling it,

it was during one of my no more floyd rose stages.
Ah, I'm having one of those now. (Have been for the past few years though, lol). The guitar that I always pick up now is my RG421 with EVO's. It's just easier to pick up and jam with.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 AM

RG570 1993, while I was looking for a place that sold bobbin toppers for pickups I came across http://www.universaljems.com

They might have some of the parts you're looking for. They appear to have pickup rings available.

Tags
allen wrench , allen wrenches , bobbin toppers , bridge height adjustment , cosmo hardware , edge pro bridge , edge pro bridges , electric guitar , floyd rose , fret level , lock nut , locking nut , locking stud , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , pickup ring , pickup rings , planet waves , steel wool , string lock , trem arm , tremolo arm , tremolo bar , tremolo system , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode