Ibanez Universe & RG7620 owners: Input needed regarding pickguards... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Ibanez Universe & RG7620 owners: Input needed regarding pickguards...

Hey folks!

I have been dying to find out some information regarding pick guards for these guitars - mainly the fitment of a Universe (UV7/UV777) pickguard will fit and work on an RG7620... And so far, I am coming up empty... And before anybody says anything - YES, I DO know that all of the UV's (except all of the Multi-colored swirl models...) are front routed, while the RG7620's are rear routed!!!

The key things I am looking to know about the UV pickguards on the 7620 are:
*Pickup route placement - are the humbucker routes in the same spots on the UV's as they are on the 7620???
*Is the control placement the same between the two (switch and pot locations...)???
*Has anybody here with these guitars ever used a UV pickguard on an RG7620???

I just had an NGD recently, and my new project is going to be a conversion of sorts. I will make a new post about it shortly with the details...

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in adavnced!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 AM

Re: Ibanez Universe & RG7620 owners: Input needed regarding pickguards...

All the spacing is the same for the pickups, knobs and switch.
The only difference is the neck pocket area of the RG7620 and the UV77PBK.
Because they both have an AANJ the shape is a little different.

I have a BWB aftermarket pickguard that came off of a UV77PBK.
I laid the pickguard on a RG7620 body I have sitting here and all the holes line up.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
All the spacing is the same for the pickups, knobs and switch.
The only difference is the neck pocket area of the RG7620 and the UV77PBK.
Because they both have an AANJ the shape is a little different.

I have a BWB aftermarket pickguard that came off of a UV77PBK.
I laid the pickguard on a RG7620 body I have sitting here and all the holes line up.
Awesome to know, thank you!!! So I am guessing that my best bet is to just have WD make me the pickguard then? Or should I experiment with a UV one for the hell of it? Or both???

IIRC, the neck was a tiny bit smaller width wise at the neck joint (and in general...) compared to the 7620, wasn't it??? So that would mean the neck area could be lightly sanded to accommodate the difference???

And by any chance, would you wanna sell that B/W/B pick guard you got??? ;-p
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:58 AM

good to have
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Smile Re: Ibanez Universe & RG7620 owners: Input needed regarding pickguards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkamikaze7 View Post
Awesome to know, thank you!!! So I am guessing that my best bet is to just have WD make me the pickguard then? Or should I experiment with a UV one for the hell of it? Or both???

IIRC, the neck was a tiny bit smaller width wise at the neck joint (and in general...) compared to the 7620, wasn't it??? So that would mean the neck area could be lightly sanded to accommodate the difference???

And by any chance, would you wanna sell that B/W/B pick guard you got??? ;-p
I don't have any plans for it, so I guess I'd sell it.

The only issue is the 5 way switch.
This pickguard was designed to have the 5 way switch mounted directly to it.
So you'd have to do one of two things.
Route out the pickguard for the switch or route the body all the way through so the switch can mount on the pickguard.

You could just use a drillpress to drill a few holes in a line where the switch is and then file the sides of the opening smooth.

You'll need to route the body for a middle pickup too.

This pickguard mounts all three pickups to it, not direct body mount like a RG7620.
Not a big deal and it looks better with the pups mounted to the pickguard anyway.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I don't have any plans for it, so I guess I'd sell it.

The only issue is the 5 way switch.
This pickguard was designed to have the 5 way switch mounted directly to it.
So you'd have to do one of two things.
Route out the pickguard for the switch or route the body all the way through so the switch can mount on the pickguard.

You could just use a drillpress to drill a few holes in a line where the switch is and then file the sides of the opening smooth.

You'll need to route the body for a middle pickup too.

This pickguard mounts all three pickups to it, not direct body mount like a RG7620.
Not a big deal and it looks better with the pups mounted to the pickguard anyway.
Won't be a big deal to mod yours to work for mine - will keep my switch and controls body mounted, so I will use my existing guard to modify the control and switch spots to work on mine. And same for the routing of the body for the single coil - I have done the routing for the slanted single coil in the neck on ESP LTD Stephen Carpenter models, so I'm good there too.

Have Dremel and bits/attachments, will modify!!!

And I will send you a PM for your pick guard later today... am finishing up lunch at work to reply. Thanks again man!!!

Tags
pickguard , rg7620 , universe , uv7 , uv777

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode