Insert piezo in edge pro saddle - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Insert piezo in edge pro saddle

Hi,
I succesfully removed the metal "sound chip" as per Rich advice in http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/re...ro-161185.html but now I need to install the piezo inserts. It haven't been easy to put them correctly, they tend to enter uneven.
Any tip to make it easier? Perhaps with vaseline, wd40 or similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 05:31 PM
Vendor

Re: Insert piezo in edge pro saddle

Shotgunn Mods used to do this regularly, but never shared how to do it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:31 AM

I did this once. I feel like there was a tendency for them to go in crooked, but I think I just popped it out and tried again. Make sure that after you press out the hardened metal inserts that you clean out any adhesive that's left over.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmoller View Post
Hi,
I succesfully removed the metal "sound chip" as per Rich advice in http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/re...ro-161185.html but now I need to install the piezo inserts. It haven't been easy to put them correctly, they tend to enter uneven.
Any tip to make it easier? Perhaps with vaseline, wd40 or similar?
How about the conductive grease used for mounting heat sinks on CPUs.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone, what I did at the end was to use liquid vaseline (I believe that at the end it wasn't necessary) and put it in the hole from the saddle. After that, I put the insert, w/o force, taking care that it stays horizontally. Then with a clamp (like the one that @Rich uses here IBANEZ RULES Clean and Setup) I pressed the inserts aggain the saddle, take care not to damage the cable from the piezo.

I'm doing a small mod, w/o preamp. I go from the summing board (wich sums all of the piezos signal together) directly into the connector. Mine guitar came with a TRS (or stereo) connector so no need to change, T is for magnetic and R for piezo. As long as you use a high impedance preamp, it works fine, or you could use an external preamp or DI box for that.

Why piezos need preamps is because they act as capacitor, so if the impedance of the preamp isn't high enough, you end up with a highpass filter, removing the lower signals. Normal mixers doesn't have high impedance so DI box or preamp is needed.

Since I have a pod HD 500x which has 2 inputs (guitar and aux) I wan to use ine for guitar and one for piezo and do all of he changes between them there (even blending could be possible).

Tags
chip , edge pro , mod , piezo , sound chip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode