Install tips for Gotoh Floyd Rose ge1996t ? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Question Install tips for Gotoh Floyd Rose ge1996t ?

Can someone give me a few installation pointers for the Gotoh ge1996t?

I've just bought one of these on **** (it hasn't arrived yet), and I've been trying to get some facts and figures on the installation of one of these.

The guitar I'm looking at installing it in currently has a Strat "vintage-style" 6 point pivot bridge. It's actually an Ibanez RX-20 I was thinking of upgrading. (I know, I know the ge1996t alone is probably worth about 5x as much as the guitar... )

Anyway, the body on these guitars are thinner than normal strats and strat copies, about 40mm rather than 45mm or so. This presents a bit of a problem, since the height of the ge1996t block is 41mm, but I can work around, I think, with a bit of creative shimming of the back cavity plate, assuming I do a "non-recessed" installation. (That is, mount the bridge flush to the the top of the guitar.)

But wait: I _can_ do a non-recessed installed with one of these, right???

I actually haven't been able to find any routing specs for the ge1996t.

Anyone installed one of these on a strat or similar guitar and tell me what the deal is? I was also hoping to do the non-recessed install, if possible, because the existing route looks like it will be reasonably close to what is required (at least looking at some of the template info for other floyd rose variants.)

[Interesting: I see this forum treats "evilbay" as a four-letter word, and has bleeped me out with ****! Actually, I can see that ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Re: Install tips for Gotoh Floyd Rose ge1996t ?

I'm really surprised no-one on this forum seems to be able to help. Can anyone suggest another forum where there might be people knowledgeable about Gotoh Floyd Rose installations?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 02:47 PM

I had the same problem with an original Floyd trem on a Jem body .
I sawed the excess of the block , drilled and re-tapped and it was fine.

Hope this helps.

AL.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 04:02 PM

Forget what I just said ... its the height problem you have ?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 08:34 PM

Reviews: 120

There should be no problems with installing the trem non-recessed. Just make sure you trem posts are lined up properly, if the block sticks a little out the back of the guitar it's not the end of the world, just leave the cavity cover off.

Gotoh FRs are fantastic trems.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

I just got this from evilBay today. The kit has clearly been opened -- ripped plastic bag, small bits and pieces all over the place loose in the box -- but worst of all, there are no installation instructions. No parts list, no routing diagrams, no post position info, no info on how to install, set-up or even string the thing. The only thing in there was a single slip of paper entitled "Arm Lock Operation Manual", with instructions on attaching and detaching the trem arm to the unit!

Help! This can't be right... there must be installation instructions somewhere... I can find anything using google. I was expecting at least some basic install info to come with the unit. Although I've got quite a bit of experience with working on guitars, I've never owned a guitar with a FR before, much less installed one.

Any suggestions?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:59 PM

Reviews: 120

Take it to a trusted luthier I think. I wont cost you as much to install if you are just wanting to have the trem dive only. Where are you located in Australia? Might be able to point you in the direction of someone to help you out.

Tags
cavity cover , floyd trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode