I've failed miserably. - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

I've failed miserably.

I tried to install the stud locks by my own. I did it. If only I had known of the evil world of Floyd action setting. Took me HOURS. When I got the action right, the springs were resistant.

Fast forward, now I have a bridgeless, springless, stringless guitar waiting to be reassembled at a store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: I've failed miserably.

first floyd? yea, mine was a b*t*h too. mine was an edge pro 7. give it time and youll be good at it, just takes practice
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

you just learned, that's all--don't give up! We all had to learn it. Luckily for you younger guys, the Internet holds all of your answers. Rich has a wonderful tech section that you should use as a guide next time:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:49 PM

I remember my first floyd rose... i hated it lol.

Just a learning process dude, you will get it figured out haha
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 06:47 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
you just learned, that's all--don't give up! We all had to learn it. Luckily for you younger guys, the Internet holds all of your answers. Rich has a wonderful tech section that you should use as a guide next time:
be sure to bookmark this link...... we all refer to it often!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

I remember a quote from an old PS1 game:
"Snake, you've got to think. Your mind is your most dangerous weapon. If things are getting too complicated, try to simplify your thoughts."

I have simplified my thoughts but I am utterly clueless on how I am properly going to set up my guitar. Trem, springs, and strings are removed.

It's a major pain to try and set it up when there are no strings to counteract spring tension. I guess I'll just take it to the store then...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 PM

Reviews: 2

Do you have a set of strings at home??
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 AM

Well, you definitely need strings to set it up. Welcome to the string/spring balancing act. One thing that might help is when the trem is angled into the body, only tighten the strings. If you get some of the strings sharp, don't touch them, just skip to the next one. If all the strings are sharp and the trem is angled into the body, loosen the spring screws a little. Only do that a little at a time til you learn how everything will respond. If the trem is angled up, away from the body, just do the opposite of everything. It'll take some practice, but you'll get it. Just wait til you try to set the intotation .
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 AM

Set the tremolo then the high you want it (or should be for a proper action). Then put a soda bottle cap or a milk gallon cap in the tremolo cavity to keep the bridge almost straight and prevent it from going into the body as you place the springs. ( I learned that trick in here.)

See this pic:

In this case I used a gallon cap because my tremolo is set very low. A soda cap was too high.

Put the springs in. The amount of springs you will use is determined by your string gauge. If you are using .009-.042 do not put all 5 springs in. I think 3 may be enough. If you are using a heavier gauge you will need more springs.

Place your strings and tune your guitar as you would do in a hard tail. Set all the micro-tuners in the middle and do not touch them. Don't do it until you have finished the whole set up including action and harmonics. When you have everything done right and your locking nut tight then is time to deal with the micro-tuners.

Then take the cap out. If the spring tension is correct the trem would be flat as intended. If not, check which direction it went and repeat all over again, but do not take the strings out. You can add or remove springs if needed or just move the spring claw to add or relieve tension

This process will take long hours and several tries.

Once you have that set then comes setting the harmonics. That is a real pain on floating bridges (at least it is for me).
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
When I came back from my hiatus of playing and bought my RG3120, this was like my bible. Now I don't even need to refer to it and have made a few of my own tweaks (I typically completely disassemble the guitar, remove pickups, etc).

Here's my opinion about the easiest way to get this trem going if you currently have no strings and the trem is currently out:

1. Back the spring claw almost all the way out. This allows you to attach the springs with no tension.
2. Screw in the locking studs with the locking screws backed way out.
3. With the guitar on its side, loosely place the trem in place, sort of holding it against the studs. Then lay the guitar on it's top. It does not really matter if the trem is completely against the studs yet, just make sure that it is mostly in place.
4. Attach the springs from the claw to the trem. These should go right on with no tension.
5. Install the spring lock on the trem to hold the springs in place.
6. Tilt the guitar back on on the side and while holding the trem against the studs with one hand, begin to screw the claw back in.
7. When you begin to get any sort of tension, insert the trem arm and push down. You can put the guitar back down on your workspace now. By holding down the trem arm, you will get tension in the springs and it will hold itself against the studs.
8. While still holding the trem arm down, place you soda caps of folded up bits of cardboard under the back of the trem and release tension on the bar. The caps or cardboard will hold everything in place.
9. Turn the guitar back on it's side and screw the spring claw most of the way back in. If you're using standard 9-42 strings in standard tuning, if you leave 7mm between the edge of the trem cavity and edge of the spring claw, you'll be really close to where it will eventually need to be.
10. Install the strings and begin to tighten them up. When you get a fair amount of tension, press the trem arm down and remove your soda caps/cardboard.
11. Continue to tune the guitar. Don't worry about getting it right on the money, just get something close to in tune. If you're tuning low to high, as you begin to get close, tune the low strings sharp and then tune the high strings to the correct pitch. When you go back to the low strings, you'll find that they've gone flat from where you originally tuned them.
12. When you're pretty close to in tune, check your trem angle by looking at the insert on the side. Adjust the claw in/out as necessary. If you're really close to the right angle, as little as 1/8 of a turn can make the difference between perfect and not correct.
13. As you're getting really close to the right trem angle, you will now want to tune the guitar perfectly each time.
14. That's it. I usually leave the strings locks loose for a while with new strings as they stretch out. One the tuning stabilizes, I'll lock them down. Play the hell out of it!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Took it to the store. They setup, restrung, and reassembled my guitar in 10 minutes! Sadly, it was setup for 10s since the store ran out of 9s due to some compulsive string breaker. PERFECT sound and tuning stability! But within 2 minutes, the E, A, and G strings flew out(did not break) from the bridge. I then had to remove the other strings before they ruined the frets. Apparently the store has the epic skills to set up a Floyd in 10 minutes, but not to lock the strings in the bridge lol.

And thanks Jemsite. There's a stereotype about musicians being *************s but you guys truly disproved that by being uber helpful + uber awesome.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:14 PM

first floyd was when i was 12 or 13. crappy jackson LFR, biggest pain in the ass i've ever had to deal with.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksabba View Post
Took it to the store. They setup, restrung, and reassembled my guitar in 10 minutes! Sadly, it was setup for 10s since the store ran out of 9s due to some compulsive string breaker. PERFECT sound and tuning stability! But within 2 minutes, the E, A, and G strings flew out(did not break) from the bridge. I then had to remove the other strings before they ruined the frets. Apparently the store has the epic skills to set up a Floyd in 10 minutes, but not to lock the strings in the bridge lol.

And thanks Jemsite. There's a stereotype about musicians being *************s but you guys truly disproved that by being uber helpful + uber awesome.
10 minutes and 3 strings out. If it is a 6 string that means a 50%. In academic terms it is an F. That is a bad statistic. LOL

10 minutes is too good to be true.

At least you have the tension set. From now on I think you can take care of the strings popping out by yourself.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Yup took me several sets of strings and about 5 weeks to finally get it right and to learn it right.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Took me three sets of strings and a week to (finally) master mine.
Yay! No more going to the store to change strings!

Thanks to Rich's in-depth guides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode