jack for rg - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

jack for rg

is there any particular jack i need to replace the one on my RG550 or i can i use a 1/4 inch one from allparts. thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 08:41 PM

I think you'll be okay. As long as it fits in the socket you'll be good. It looks like ep 0055-000 might be right.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 10:05 PM

If given the choice, choose a stereo jack over a mono jack. Then wire both the ground pin and the "ring" pin to ground. That gives you an additional "safety ground" tab inside there, should the cable jiggling make crackling noises. It also quiets down the pops when plugging in and removing the cable while the signal is hot.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

lies, i need the long threaded one, i checked my old one today, thanx for telling me about the stereo fun!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Vendor

I stock OEM replacements, but I'm on the wrong shore
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

thanx anyway, i think that one will be ok, it looks the same im getting things sorted now rich, ive ordered some fun knobs, if you didnt know im doing my rg550 up, fixed bridge, metallic purple etc, ill try and post some pics. One thing i cant get an answer on the thread but that bridge, top loading 2 1/8inch on allparts, is that going to be fairly stable; you have to make small channels in the top of the guitar for the balls to sit in as opposed to them going through the body, i know ive got about 12 threads going but im just trying at the moment to get some sound solid advice. thanx again
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Vendor

I guess the answer to that would depend on how solidly your rout fill is
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

this isnt fair all the questions i ask on here i get abstract answers!! everyones playing with my bloody mind. i see your point rich thankyou, its a very good help honestly. im just a bit on edge because i want to get my guitar playable again, as opposed to in 10 bits.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 06:20 PM
Vendor

If your rout fill is as solid as if it had never been routed at all then it really doesn't matter how it mounts, it becomes personal prefference after that. Then again if the fill isn't solid you're going to end up in trouble no matter what bridge you use
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

thanx again rich. is there any way i can make sure its ok, my dad will be the one routing it, and i dont trust him after he took chunks out of the body while sanding, only joking but just explain to me exactly what you mean by rout fill, cant say i have much experience in these things, im not thick, just young and naive
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Vendor

rout - big hole

fill - how is it going to be "solid" so you can axctually mount the fixed bridge.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

big hole you pro's must wet yourself when someone like me posts! yes i gathered the hole part, just the making stable once ive routed the hole, what i mean is, do you need to put anything in the hole, to give the wood more support, or just make sure the rout is clean without any chips or unnecessary chunks ripped out the body.

you mean like wood filler on the inside of the hole?
i think you got the wrong end of the stick, the thing im on about is the way the strings go through the bridge, not how the bridge mounts to the guitar, the bridge is top loading, so the little routed bits are like channels that the strings sit in. or is that what you're on about.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Vendor

You weren't planning on filling that hole? And if not what are you going to mount the bridge to?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

the bloody big cavity you mean for the previous trem, of course im filling that! sorry i should have said, no i mean once all thats done and the hole is all filled up with wood blocks like on the project guitar site, i just meant the bridge itself on all parts, the top loading one, and the little channels that the ball ends sit in, i should have said stable as in tuning not the wood holding down, sorry!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Vendor

If the mount is solid then the rest is all preferrence! Some will tell you the string through will add extra tone and sustain, and EJ will tell you his effects sound better with Durracells if they're pointed toward the North star. Your mileage may vary.

Tags
fixed bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode