JS free buzz on low e and a strings - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

JS free buzz on low e and a strings

New used JS1 guitar plays and sounds great except fret buzz on the low e string and a strings. Pretty much from first feet to 12th fret but no buzz when played open or higher on the neck...

Strings are Dean markley blue steel light 9-42

So i think the action is ok and raising the action(unscrewing tremolo stud low e side) seems to have no effect... Buzzing stays the same.

Neck looks pretty straight. Maybe too straight? Tighten the truss rod some and see if I can put some relief in?

Supposedly this guitar was set up before purchase and hate to mess with something already "professionally" done but something just doesn't seem/sound right here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:30 AM

Re: JS free buzz on low e and a strings

sounds like the frets are not levelled.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Tried a credit card on the frets and none seemed higher than the others... Tried a straight edge across the frets and seems like I have bow around the 9th/10th fret...

Unless your thinking the frets aren't level from high to low string along the width of the frets... Guessing I'll take the strings off and see if it's level like that...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 08:52 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Measure the relief around fret 5-7 and add a little bit before doing anything else.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 AM
Mah

My first step would be setting the neck and maybe raise a bridge a little bit on the bass string side. You don't need to take off strings to do that. Worst case could be neck torsion, twist but it is repairable. Best tool to check neck / fretboard / frets is straight edge with one long side has grooves for frets.

...and when it's new used don't forget to tighten all screws

J.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

So I loosened the truss rod 3/4 of a turn and it took all the tension off the truss rod. Nut now is pretty much loose. Raised the action 3/4 of a turn on the low side of tremolo and fret buzz still there after I retuned... Gonna let it rest like this over night and check again tomorrow...

Maybe it didn't have any relief in it, although the truss rod but seemed tight when I loosened it but 3/4 of a turn doesn't seem like it was even tight at all...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Tightening truss rod makes no difference... Still has buzz
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

to be clear, how much relief are you measuring as per the basic Ibanez instructions here
http://www.ibanez.com/world/manual/g...aintenance.pdf

In your case you can simply rubberband/capo the low-E first and last fret then measure.

Just use a light pick for reference if you lack tools. If you have that much clearance then relief is ok full setup is desirable.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

So I had the guitar checked out and set up and the buzz is definitely not coming from the strings or neck or frets.

So I checked out the pick ups and the neck is a D151FSP (f spaced PAF) and the bridge is a DP153 (regular spaced FRED)

Then I started looking at how it was wired. It's a 1991 JS1 and I was able to find a 1994-1996 JS1000 wiring diagram.

And they are wired totally different. It only has one 223 cap and that is wired in between the tone and volume pots...

Thinking the buzz is happening because it's miswired....

My thought is to get new pots and caps and some wire and require this according to a accurate wiring diagram and see if this solves the buzz...

Anyone happen to have a JS1 wiring diagram?

Any suggestions appreciated.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustangs View Post
So I had the guitar checked out and set up and the buzz is definitely not coming from the strings or neck or frets.

So I checked out the pick ups and the neck is a D151FSP (f spaced PAF) and the bridge is a DP153 (regular spaced FRED)

Then I started looking at how it was wired. It's a 1991 JS1 and I was able to find a 1994-1996 JS1000 wiring diagram.

And they are wired totally different. It only has one 223 cap and that is wired in between the tone and volume pots...

Thinking the buzz is happening because it's miswired....

My thought is to get new pots and caps and some wire and require this according to a accurate wiring diagram and see if this solves the buzz...

Anyone happen to have a JS1 wiring diagram?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Wait, so this is an electrical buzz? In your original post, you said the guitar was only buzzing on the low E and A strings, and that it was buzz free when you played in certain spots on the neck (at least, that was how I read it).

So, to be clear, you only hear this "buzz" through an amp when your guitar is plugged in?

I just want to be sure I'm clear on what kind of "buzz" we're talking about here... electrical vs. mechanical.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Well my first thought it was physical fret buzz (only played thru an amp) that showed up on the low e string from open e to say the a note 5th fret... So my thinking was it was a physical issue.

Took the guitar to a luthier and had it set up. I still get the same "fret buzz" sound although with a flashlight I can clearly see the string is not touching any frets. So now im thinking it must be a electrical problem in this guitar

A js1000 sounds fine thru the amp... Just this one guitar makes the amp sound like the speaker is ripped on the low notes... Which lead me check the pickups and they seem fine but then when I started looking at the wiring it seems totally wrong... Iike first there is only one cap and it's wired between the volume and tone pots...

So I figure I'll try and fix the wiring and see if that solves this buzz issue...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustangs View Post
Well my first thought it was physical fret buzz (only played thru an amp) that showed up on the low e string from open e to say the a note 5th fret... So my thinking was it was a physical issue.

Took the guitar to a luthier and had it set up. I still get the same "fret buzz" sound although with a flashlight I can clearly see the string is not touching any frets. So now im thinking it must be a electrical problem in this guitar

A js1000 sounds fine thru the amp... Just this one guitar makes the amp sound like the speaker is ripped on the low notes... Which lead me check the pickups and they seem fine but then when I started looking at the wiring it seems totally wrong... Iike first there is only one cap and it's wired between the volume and tone pots...

So I figure I'll try and fix the wiring and see if that solves this buzz issue...
You won't be able to actually see a string hitting the frets--not with the naked eye. These things are happening on a microscopic level and at a speed that we humans just can't observe with our limited eyesight.

It's as easy as this: if you hear the buzz when the guitar isn't plugged in, you've got a mechanical issue. Either the string is contacting a fret (or frets), or something else is vibrating in sympathy with certain frequencies (e.g. tremolo springs, wires, pickup springs, strings on the headstock behind the nut) , or you can also get a sitar-like buzz from the string groove on the locking nut when the string is played open (that one nearly drove me to drink the first time I ever encountered it).

Before you drive yourself nuts trying to chase down this mystery buzz (believe me, I've been there and done that), maybe take the guitar back to your tech and demonstrate the buzz to him/her while you're there in the shop. Also, I always make it a point to plug in and play a guitar whenever I pick it up from the shop. The only place I trust to touch my guitar is a 45 minute drive away, so I definitely want to make sure things are right before I leave the shop and make the long drive home.

Last edited by webmaestro; 07-31-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode