Jem 10th Anniversary - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Jem 10th Anniversary

I recently got hold of a Jem 10th, but it was rather worn...
the Silver/Chrome of some of the pickups is 'worn off'
and some of the black of the pickgaurd is worn off (right under the middle pickup) anyone know how/if I could fix this? (getting new pickup covers? where? maybe 'painting' the black back in??)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 06:47 AM

Jem 10th Anniversary

This is a common occurance. *There was a replacement set of pickups for sale on eBay not too long ago, they still may be there.

Rumor has it that DiMarzio does not make the chrome covered pickups anymore, although I do not know how much truth there is to that statement. *That being said, check with DiMarzio.

What some people have done to maintain it's original look is to remove the chrome pickups and replace them with black ones. *They keep the chrome ones - I guess - in case they sell the guitar.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 07:02 PM
Vendor

Jem 10th Anniversary

DiMarzio says, 'They can be ordered but we don't stock them anymore"
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Jem 10th Anniversary

Thanks for all your help guys..
Any idea what I can do about the engraved pickguard itself? maybe filling the 'blanks' with a really thin black marker or so?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 12:08 AM
Vendor

Jem 10th Anniversary

They have some very fine point markers at the craft stores. I don't know how long marker would hold up though. Paint would, but you'd better be pretty good with a brush!

(I used to paint miniscule monograms for a living)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Jem 10th Anniversary

Allright.. I'll try that.. maybe take it in and see if a 'professional' can take care of it

Thanks again for all your help!
Stefan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:08 PM

Jem 10th Anniversary

I don't have a JEM10, so I'm not sure if this would work or not, but couldn't you color over the engraving with a black crayon or something and then polish off the excess?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:20 PM
Vendor

Jem 10th Anniversary

The kind of profeeional you need you won't find in a music store. If you've got steady hands you'll be as goos a choice as anybody to use the marker technique, after all you care the most about the result. Using flat black paint would be the 'permanent' solution, but as noted above.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Jem 10th Anniversary

Professional in an Art store maybe.. and the wife used to paint , so maybe I'll ask her

Thanks again guys!

Stefan
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:34 PM
Vendor

Jem 10th Anniversary

Now your thinking

Man was my spelling bad?? Up way too late (early)!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2001, 05:20 PM

Jem 10th Anniversary

I found a cool way to recover your Jem10 pickups. *It's not going to last forever, but it will work for a while of playing. *Before you start, understand this will take about 1 hour or more depending on your skills.

Goto your local hobby store and buy that adhesive gold foil. *The store I went to only had gold, but if they have silver I guess that'll work too. *It doesn't matter if you get gold or silver. *If you apply rubbing alcohol to the gold foil it'll turn shiny silver!!! *It's about $6 a sheet but you can make it go a long way. *I don't recall the brand name. *Try the rubbing alcohol technique on a small area of the foil to see if it'll remove the gold BEFORE you start!

Now, cutout a piece about the size of 1/2 the humbucker. *You'll be best to do the humbucker in halfs. *I'd cut it slightly over because you'll want to 'roll' the ends underneath the pickup. *Try this on one of the humbuckers first, because the single coil's a bitch to do *(I'll get more into that later ).

Once you have the foil cutout, peel the adhesive covering off the foil strip slowly and carefully. *Apply it to the pickup evenly and GENTLY rub out wrinkles. *Cut off any access foil that you may not need. *Remember - you'll need to 'roll' some extra foil under the pickup otherwise you'll have problems with peeling.

Now comes the hard part. *With a VERY sharp exacto knife (kids, get your parents help), you'll need to cut out holes for the pole pieces in a circle, one-by one. *Cut around the outside of the pole housing, there's a small groove there. *If you are having problems finding where to cut, rub your finger over the pickup where the holes holes are located and it'll give you a good outline. *Do not use a dull knife or it'll tear.

Once you finish you should have a gold shiny 1/2 pickup. *If you want, you can dab a little rubbing alcohol on a paper towel and rub it over the gold. *It should remove the gold plating. *Repeat with other side of pickup. *Do the same for the other humbucker.

The single coil is hard to do because of the raised pole pieces. *It's basically the same process, but you need more overlap. *Cutting the holes is the hard part. *Honestly there's no easy way to do this and I don't have any suggestions on it. *Use your skills and try to cut the holes for the pole pieces while you apply the foil. *On my guitar, it took about 3 trys to get it right.

Like I said, it's not going to last forever, but mine has lasted 6 months of playing with minimal wear.

Give it a shot and let me know if you need any more help. *GOOD LUCK!

Gabe
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2001, 03:08 PM

Jem 10th Anniversary

Quote:
Quote: from Gabe Nickelson on 6:20 pm on Feb. 4, 2001
The single coil is hard to do because of the raised pole pieces. *
I found an easier way to do this. *Remove the single coil pickup from the pickguard only and remove the plastic cover and apply the foil that way. *Much easier.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 06:52 AM

Jem 10th Anniversary

As for the pickguard darkening, have you thought about inking it with the stuff used on lead role playing game miniatures?? In the UK we have Citadel paints and they make inks to give detail in the models. You just drop it in and it runs into all the cracks. It dries slightly transparent, but I think it would actually look really cool, probably better than paint.

Col
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 04:50 PM

Jem 10th Anniversary

On the pickguard you coud just paint it black along the lines with a brush not even taking your time (overspill is fine) then as soon as you are finished wipe off the excess with a cloth rag lightly soaked in paint thinner.

It takes a little while to get the process right without cleaning out the grooves but it will restore the black lines without any real problems.

What your doing is quickly wipping the top like a swipe across the surface to catch and clean the overspill...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2001, 09:04 PM

Jem 10th Anniversary

You can buy this stuff called Alclad II at any hobby store when sprayed on does a perfect chrome finish.

Tags
coil pickup , music store , pickup cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode