Jem 30th bass side trem post won't screw down - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Jem 30th bass side trem post won't screw down

After receiving the most awesome LNG 30th Anniv. Jem 777 and just being floored by how well it played, felt and sounded acoustically, I was shocked and dismayed to see that the left trem post was WAY high. So high in fact that the knife edge on that side was not in it's proper slot but instead hitting halfway into the shaft of the post.

Thankfully I noticed this before attempting whammy theatrics, because I almost certainly would have wrecked the knife edge. I slackened the strings, pulled the trem back and attempted (after making sure the trem locking nut was loose) to lower the post. It made one turn down before completely stopping. I figured perhaps it wasn't centered upon the threads to screw in properly, so I promptly removed the trem entirely to tackle the problem

After finding that the post was in fact screwing in properly I was baffled and alarmed why it would not screw down to a normal height like it should. So I removed the treble side post and compared the 2 pieces... As you can see from the photo the stopper at the end of the bass side screw is longer than the treble side, thus preventing it from screwing down as normal. When I threw the treble side post into the cavity on the bass side it screwed down as normal. I was relieved to find that it wasn't improper drilling in the wood of the body, but that (it seems) the flaw is with the trem post screw? Can anyone shed some light on this? Should I just order another post screw? Is one supposed to be longer than the other like this? What is my issue here? Strange that this passed inspection on a limited $3500 guitar

Thank you!!!

Last edited by JerkChicken; 04-19-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Vendor

Re: Jem 30th bass side trem post won't screw down

It's a locking stud, 1.5mm allen wrench on the multi tool to pull up the set screw.

Last edited by Rich; 04-10-2018 at 10:40 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's a locking stud, 1.5mm allen wrench on the multi tool to pull up the set screw.
Ah, I see... Thank you!! Also, any thoughts on removing the trem stopper in the back, which I'm assuming is there to prevent an overpull upward? However, I'm not crazy about the feel of it stopping the bar like it does a bit prematurely...
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:45 AM
Vendor

The Backstop is a "trem stabilizer", held on by 2 screws. If you don't like it just remove it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Perfect. Thanks!

Tags
jem777 30th

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode