Jem 555 and Jem 7 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Jem 555 and Jem 7

I have a Jem 555 which I got a few months ago and it was great maybe because I got a great piece, because everyone here says its not great. Then I did my own setup on it and it played almost as well as the Jem 7 except for some fret buzzing on the 3rd fret on the high E but thats it. I thought ok, if I give it in for some customisation it would be better, the buzz will go and I could make the feel more like the Jem 7. I sent it in and the guy said it needed to be refretted and I asked him to scallop the last 4 frets because I like the feel. After it was done all the problems like buzzing were gone, and the scallops were great, but something is different in the feel. The guy that did it for me says the feel will be the same it just takes some time because of the oil he put to protect the neck. I have all of about 700 US dollars with which I don't think I can buy any form of a Jem 7 uless I get more money. What can I do? Please if anyone has any ideas I really need the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:11 PM

Re: Jem 555 and Jem 7

Get a job.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:36 PM

Stop wasting money on the 555 and save it for your 7
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I need to know, what does the height of the frets do? What does it do technically and what does it do to the playability?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:26 AM

If the frets are higher, then the action will be lower unless you set up again. But to my knowledge its doesnt do anything else except for easier fretting, but harder bends near the nut. Because all necks are diffrent, and you can switch to any neck that fits, but their fret height is diffrent.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Huh?

Fret height has nothing to do with action. When the frets were replaced, of course there was a new setup, since the guitar was disassembled and refretted. The action will only be different if you want it to be different, and can be reset wherever you want. (With a good refret, you might be able to get lower action if that is desired.) Height is mostly a matter of preference and feel. It won't make bends near the nut harder unless you change something else too.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Ok, what exactly does it do then? Because I know the difference in feel, but its just the feel that fret height changes right?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:30 PM

I would think fret height would effect action, taller frets would keep the strings further off the fretboard right?
It wouldn't necessarily make the guitar harder to play but it would effect overall action, my LP Custom has 6105s and the strings are higher from the fretboard than my LP Standard but they are not higher from the actual frets.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thats what I thought. Thats the intial thought you get just by looking at them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:41 PM

Higher off the fretboard, yes. But not higher above the frets. The action is to the frets not the board.

Tags
fret buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode