Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jem 7 wvh frets mods with 6000 super Jumbo bass frets

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Big Hary 
#1 ·
Hi Guys ,
From last Friday I have a new axe - YJM Strat ,now joined to my beloved Jem 7 wvh .
After three days of playing with , I simply can not put down that f...cking axe .
Knowing (reading other experiences) how is dificult to switch from scalloped neck and giant 6000 Dunlop frets to "normal " guitar , I've played with both guitar respectively .
But anyway , YJM Strat made me addicted to that specific feeling of huge frets and control one might have on it .
Now, my lovely and perfect Jem , seems like a mandolin with those " tiny " frets , and I am start to lose a grip with the guitar .??????

I don't compare my two axes , I like them both and one can't compare them , but I start to think to put these Super Jumbo 6000 bass frets on my Jem .
Any experience , or pros and cons in replacing originaly Jem frets with super thick bass frets will be very appreciated .

Thanks for your inputs.

BH

See less See more
#2 ·
I've refretted my JEM7RB with dunlop 6000 frets. It's great, for my playing I can't see any cons when it comes to switching to larger frets. But, do keep in mind that the "regular" frets on the jem are rather large as well, so it's not a ~huge~ difference. To me, at least! I would guess that the fact that the YJM's scalloped plays a big role in what you're feeling.

So, basically, I think it might be a bit expensive to refret the jem with dunlop 6000 unless you need a refret. Then shoot! But I can't recall it making a huge difference. I refretted mine myself because I work in a guitar shop, so it didn't cost me anything except material cost.

I think you should continue playing both for a while and think about whether you might get used to the two guitars feeling differently before refretting the jem. Only because it might cost a bit more than what it's worth, not because it's bad or ruins the jem in any way! But it's totally up to you mate! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.