Jem 7v sbl Edge Pro cavity interference problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Hello, I have a problem while adjusting the action of the Edge Pro on my jem. Yes it's a 2004 and came stock with the Edge Pro.

I bougth the guitar a year ago used and came with this problem. It was setup with a really low action and without buzzing or problems but the trem didn't work right and I discovered why yesterday.

I can't have a low or medium action without having interferences, the flat part under the bridge touch the wood in the edge of the cavity when I use the whamy bar to raise the pitch. I mean I can't barely raise it! And the action is high! Lot higher than the rest of my guitars, its almost unplayable.
You can see the photos where the interference happens and the wood is worn.
What can I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170707_133255_opt_1499432703597.jpg (44.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170707_141202_opt_1499432870213.jpg (30.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Guitartrue; 07-07-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Images added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Re: Jem 7v sbl Edge Pro cavity interference problem

There are no pictures, but you probably need to shim neck and change neck to body angle.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Images added to the original post.

Thanks, I have been reading a little about how to shim a neck... I have never do it. Should I use cardboard or wood? I'm thinking of a cardboard piece in the first two screws.
But I prefer any other solution if possible...

Last edited by Guitartrue; 07-07-2017 at 09:16 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 12:38 PM
rgr

Not really another solution, the angle of the neck to the body has to change. I just bought a used RG655 with the original Edge and I'm going to have to do the same to it to get more travel in the trem.

FWIW, I wouldn't use cardboard, I prefer to use metal shims, wood is good too. It doesn't take a lot to change the angle. Stew Mac makes angled shims just for this, although you would need to get a blank and cut it yourself. Thinking about trying these myself but I'll probably just use some of the metal shim stock I have.

StewMac Neck Shims for Guitar | stewmac.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:12 PM

Reviews: 1

A piece of business card folded in half or thirds should do the trick. Most of the golden age guitars from back in the day had Ibanez labeled shims in them already.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot guys! I did it and the results are perfect! Now the trem works great. I have used a piece of cardboard from an elixir strings package. First I used double cardboard but it was too much angle so I did it with one.
The action is pretty low like 1.7 mm low E and 1.2 mm high E at 14 fret and I can make it even lower.
It didn't affect tone nor sustain.
So I'm a happy guy! Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 04:26 AM

Reviews: 6

I did put 2 layers of sand paper (advice given by mu luthier) as neck shim.

But in your case, I wouldn't raise the neck angle, but the whole neck, with a shim covered the whole surface of the neck pocket (I did that too)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode