JEM 7V/UV setup issues? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

JEM 7V/UV setup issues?

I have 2003 JEM 7VWH (Edge Pro bridge) which I have recently started to play a bit more as my RG570EX (Low Pro Edge) which I mess around on is away getting a sustainer. The JEM despite having much better pickups has a few issues. I read the tech setup section here and as best I can tell (I'm no expert) the bridge angle looks right, maybe very slightly forward if anything at all. The bridge is as low as it can go as the bar only just clears the pickup selector when in the middle position. The saddles on the bridge are set as they were from the factory and one thing that always bothered me was that fact that the D string saddle is so far forward it is slighty over the base of the trem (slightly over the gap between the bridge and the pick guard). The intonation seems to be set about right.

The issues are that anything other than slight trem movement will throw one, two or even three strings out of tune, usually flat. This can be enough that I have to unlock the nut as the fine tuners will be maxed out trying to correct it.

The other issue is that I feel the action is still too high. I measure roughly 3mm on the high E at the 24th fret.

Am I missing something obvious or is it time to take it to an expert? There are few Ibanez dealers locally so I have put this off so far. I also have a UV777BK also a 2003 model with the same bridge design and that also has suffered similar symptoms although the tuning is generally more stable than the JEM, pull ups can cause problems. I find the action a bit high again. I have lowed the bridge but the arm is now just catching the pickup selector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:35 AM

Re: JEM 7V/UV setup issues?

I face the same problem as well dude..when practicing for1-2 hours and use the tremolo arm the high E,B,G strings go flat. But after some tremolo rebalancing (slight tremolo movement) those strings are in tune again..I think that the springs set by the factory have a high elasticity...Maybe you should replace them with stiffer onces..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 01:36 AM

I saw you faced this problem a few months ago...so, you maybe have already resolved it. In that case, what solution did you find towards this?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:46 AM

Hi, my prestige with an edge pro also had that problem on the g string, i took it to the guitar shop and when i got i back, it was perfect and returned to pitch perfectly. So that is probably your best option.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:46 AM

Reviews: 13

Read all about setting up here at Rich's. http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

If you can't lock your Studs, try this apply a thread sealing tape to your studs and a chapstick on the knife. I had this same problem but after overhalling of the Trem parts DIY, everything alright now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 AM

Reviews: 18

Mattw,

It sounds like you need to do 2 things:

1. Stretch your strings properly

2. Shim the neck on the pickup side to get lower action

Jimmy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 AM

Ive always had a similar problem on I think all my Ibanez's. Always just my G string though. Bend it, it would go flat, whammy it, it would go sharp. I stripped out lock nut screws, used graphite on the saddles, you name it. Its always boiled down to finding that sweet spot before I locked it down. The fine tuner had to be just about exactly in the middle, in that, same amount of turns up or down. The G string itself, I always had to tune it way flat before locking it down, which......after locking it, would bring it just about to 440 with minimal adjustment on the fine tuner.
This seems to always do the trick. It happened on all my 6 string Ibanez's in the past, and then on all my 7's from past to present. Ive always just written it off as one of those weird tweek things.
As far as the trem goes, I only have that problem when I first pick up the guitar. Its either flat or sharp. I whammy it a few times, and run a few scales, bending notes & stuff before I start playing. This seems to settle it back in. On a few rare occasions, I have to give a slight turn to the tension screws one way or the other if its been sitting awhile.
I would agree with the springs not being properly stretched.........or even perhaps, add another one.

But thats just me

~Mohawked Ranz~

Tags
bridge angle , edge pro bridge , ibanez dealer , pro edge , string saddle , tremolo arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode