Jem 7VWH buzz, need some help! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Angry Jem 7VWH buzz, need some help!

Hey everyone! So I need some help on an issue that has been incredibly frustrating. My Jem 7VWH is about 8 years old now and has thousands of hours on it, so it's well played for sure. About a year ago it developed buzz at certain parts of the neck, it's worst on the low E around frets 2 and 3, and on the D string at around fret 12 thru 15. I assumed it either needed a fret level, or maybe the neck had developed some warp and it would need more serious work. Since then I have:

1. Leveled the frets myself

2. Had a trusted luthier level the frets just in case I didnt do a good enough job

3. Replaced the bridge

Nothing has worked, and the luthier is puzzled by why this is happening. He told me he carefully inspected the neck and though their might be the slightest inconsistencies here and there it was actually looking really good, and the fret level should compensate for any minor issues anyway. Still, it made no difference. What could we be missing?

Unfortunately this guitar has a ton of sentimental value to me, so I'm willing to do just about anything to get it worked out, but I'm at a loss. I've already decided worst case scenario I would be willing to buy another Jem just to get the neck from it if I have to, but obviously that is a very expensive fix so Im trying to explore all other options.

To clarify, most Jems have some buzz, especially at low action, which I'm fine with. I own several Jems so I'm pretty used to that. This one however is the kind of buzz that comes through the amp and makes certain notes pretty much unplayable. I must be missing something here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:06 AM

Re: Jem 7VWH buzz, need some help!

just an idea: do you have some loose frets? I had some on a JEM and after glueing them in all buzz was gone.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 01:34 PM

Reviews: 3

If 1) the nut is low enough without buzzing at the 1st fret, 2) the neck is not warped (yours must be reinforced if it is a 2010 model), 3) the neck relief is adjusted with enough clearance and 4) the bridge is high enough not to cause the buzzing:

1) The fret dress is bad done: change luthier
2) The fretboard has a bump somewhere and your luthier has not detected it: change luthier

If you like low action, expect minor buzzing from 2-5 frets if your neck is straight; but fret buzzing on fret 9-12 from D string seems bad frets or bump on the fretboard to me. If it is the last option a fretboard levelling and refret will cure it; I am positive about it.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 04:26 PM

is the nut itself tight ? did you check the 10 mm nuts that hold the tuners in place? those nuts will eventually come loose and can rattle.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the ideas, vy100 I think you are correct about a second opinion from another luthier. Got the guitar back today and it is exactly the same. I don't detect any loose frets, open strings have no buzz so I think the nut is ok. I think you are right that there is a bump on the fretboard or something similar that he didnt see. It makes no sense that with leveled frets I would be having this issue, and only in certain sections of the fretboard. Might end up having to ship this to someone, there are no other luthier's in town that I think have the right experience unfortunately. Mostly just the guys that work at the local guitar stores, of which I have not heard good things... Thanks for the help everyone, if I'm able to figure this out I will certainly leave an update here for future reference!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:13 AM

Reviews: 3

I’m pretty sure you are adressing that issue; sanding and levelling the fretboard and installing fresh new frets, properly radiused and crowned will solve the problem.

Tags
action , buzz , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode