Jem action - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Jem action

ok i brought a jem 7v last summer, love it to bits but im still wondering about the action. ive changed it several times and now have it right where it feels comfterble. but theres a slight problem. its quite low, theres no loss of sustain and no fret bus anywhere except on the D,G and B strings when i fret the first fret the buzz is comming from the second. since its only the one fret i presume its something that could be fixed by having the fret filed down sligltly? i also noticed in the prestige manual it talks about the height of the action and says theres a table to show the differnt distances form the 12 fret for differnt strings, but theres no table. does anyone know the ideal action height for a set of 9 guage strings. its the newer model with the edge pro. cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 10:51 AM

I suspect that you have too much back bow in the neck. With your left hand, fret the first fret and with the pinky of your right hand, fret the 24th fret on the same string. With your loose index finger of your right hand, tap around on the string to check the clearance around the 12th fret.

If there is zero clearance, then you will need to loosen the truss rod a little. Insert the wrench towards the bass side and turn a 1 inch arc towards the treble side. Plug your guitar in and check if your 1st fret notes are ringing. If not, loosen a little more. If OK, feel free to drop the bridge a little more if you like your action lower.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 07:23 PM

Blade is right on......you can use feeler gauges (like the ones used in automotive) to measure the bow in the neck. Your eyeball will tell the tale at first glance. The gag should be slightly larger on the bass side and smaller on the treble side. If you do have one high fret.....you can have a tech spot level the area. This can be tricky.......make sure they are qualified. If you have some fret wear on other frets....maybe just dress all the frets and start fresh. A fret dress is like a new guitar......or better!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-29-2004, 06:46 AM Thread Starter

Sorted

hey thanks for the advice guys. i tried tweaking the neck but it dint seem to do anything. so i took to a local guitar builder for him to have a look at and he said the second fret was high. it hadnt popped out of the fret board or anythign it was just taller than the rest. weird. its sorted now though . cheers

Tags
fret board , guage strings , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode