Jem BSB cant lower the strings any further - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Jem BSB cant lower the strings any further

Hi ,I have a jem BSB and cant get the action very low..Was thinking of shortening the tremelo height rods so I could create some space to lower some more.Is this a bad idea?If so , why?

Last edited by Stuntdouble7; 07-12-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:42 AM

Re: Jem BSB cant lower the strings any further

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/action.htm
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks but that doesn't address my question as far as I can see.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntdouble7 View Post
Hi ,I have a jem BSB and cant get the action very low..Was thinking of shortening the tremelo height rods so I could create some space to lower some more.Is this a bad idea?Is so , why?
For the record I'm not a pro tech... Just a player with a lot of years of experience...

But my understanding is that if your trem studs are maxed out as low as they can go and your action is still too high you will need to shim your neck. If your trem studs wont go any lower that means they are bottomed out on the body, so shortening them won't change anything.

This is not really an unusual scenario. I had to do this with my Jem 7VSBL to get the action where I wanted it. But now its absolutely perfect! I did not do it myself though, I had a pro do it for me.

Best of luck!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks kfssdude.The studs sit in a metal casing , so reducing the length of the stud would mean it could go deeper into the metal casing thus giving a lower point of contact with the tremelo.Thats how I see it .Maybe I'm missing something.I have heard of shimming the neck but was wondering if my idea would work.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:08 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Thanks kfssdude.The studs sit in a metal casing , so reducing the length of the stud would mean it could go deeper into the metal casing thus giving a lower point of contact with the tremelo.Thats how I see it .Maybe I'm missing something.I have heard of shimming the neck but was wondering if my idea would work.
Shimming the neck is easier, as it's nondestructive.
Your idea requires drilling the holes a bit deeper.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 AM

Well the studs do screw down into the threaded metal "sockets" (unsure of the proper term) which are set into the body. However, from taking them apart on several guitars it has been my experience that when they are bottomed out it is not due to the stud being at the bottom of the shaft, but because the flanged head (into which the trem's knife edges fit) is flush against the top of the body. Yours may be different but that was the case with my 7VSBL.

Regardless, there are other factors to consider. If you were to modify the studs as you suggested, you would be sinking the trem deeper into its cavity... Are you going to run into problems there? In other words, if you trem is that low in the trem cavity, will you still have a full range of motion without hitting or rubbing the body? Also, as you sink the trem your action does lower, but so does the angle of the strings relative to the neck. If you get a very low action using the method you suggested, without a neck shim, it sounds as though you may have moved the trem out of its relatively parallel string position and as a result may run into significant fret buzz issues.

Again... I'm not a pro tech but these are the things I have run into in my experience that might be worth considering...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Hi ,I have a jem BSB and cant get the action very low..Was thinking of shortening the tremelo height rods so I could create some space to lower some more.Is this a bad idea?If so , why?
Yeah, it's a bad idea. the shorter the length of the studs-the less stable they'll be in the anchor.

I think the OP needs to loosen and back off the stud locks before doing anything else.

$100 says his locks are bottoming out............
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Yeah, it's a bad idea. the shorter the length of the studs-the less stable they'll be in the anchor.

I think the OP needs to loosen and back off the stud locks before doing anything else.

Good call. Didn't even think about if he had stud locks....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 6

Quote:

Yes, it may "work", but it's a bad idea. Shimming a neck is a common remedy for the issue you describe, is reversible, and (as noted above) is non destructive. Any tech worth his salt -- heck, worth half his salt -- should be able to do this very easily.

As well (also noted above) check that your stud locks haven't bottomed out.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 09:57 AM

I have three JEMs that have the neck shim fix to elevate the neck from thebody.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks but that doesn't address my question as far as I can see.
Sorry, I misread the question.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies.Well I had a look at it was in fact the stud locks preventing the me lowering it even further .I backed off the locks a little a now have a lower action.I'm guessing this is also a bad idea and I should just get a shim ??
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

I owe you $100
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.Well I had a look at it was in fact the stud locks preventing the me lowering it even further .I backed off the locks a little a now have a lower action.I'm guessing this is also a bad idea and I should just get a shim ??
No not a bad idea, but you need to lock them back down when you're done setting the trem height. If you use the bar a lot with the studs unlocked it will wiggle the anchors loose in the body.

Tags
action , jem bsb , tremelo height

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode