JEM concerns - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

JEM concerns

Hi there, just got my first JEM yesterday ('88 FP, dern I'm happy ) but I have some questions. First of all, there's quite a bit of buzzing going on over all the strings. I was planning to have the guitar setup by a tech anyways, so that's not a big deal, but one thing that does bother me is that when I use the trem, it will go slightly out of tune, and if I use it more and more, it will go more and more out of tune. Is this because of improper setup, or because of the age of the trem unit or what? There's also a small amount of rust on the anchor bolts and on the holder blocks. Is this a problem, and can I fix this? Also is the severe amount of pitting a big deal? It doesn't bother me, but I don't want the quality of my JEM to be at stake. Thanks a lot for the help, sorry if these questions have been asked before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 06:23 PM

My guess is the locking screws in the studs. Check out Rich's tech setup and search in this forum.
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setu..._stability.htm
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 07:38 PM

Well, since you described the guitar going more and more out of tune, and you got it 2nd hand, i'd first check the tightness of the neck screws, and especially of the locking nut (those allen screws that go through the neck). But be careful not to OVERtighten them, cause, as you can see, the wood is pretty thin in that area.

Btw, pitting is just a cosmetical problem; as long as everything still fits snugly and isn't worn out.. I've seen some trems that gave me nightmares just by the looks, but still worked perfectly.

Oh, and congrats on your new axe!!
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horstausmforst
Well, since you described the guitar going more and more out of tune, and you got it 2nd hand, i'd first check the tightness of the neck screws, and especially of the locking nut (those allen screws that go through the neck). But be careful not to OVERtighten them, cause, as you can see, the wood is pretty thin in that area.

Btw, pitting is just a cosmetical problem; as long as everything still fits snugly and isn't worn out.. I've seen some trems that gave me nightmares just by the looks, but still worked perfectly.

Oh, and congrats on your new axe!!
Thanks a lot, it plays like a dream! I did what you suggested and tightened the neck screws, but not too tight, just snugly. I'm about to leave for band practice so I'll see if the problem still occurs. Also, I heard that these edge and lo pro's are supposed to be able to raise the pitch of the strings a whole fourth. Well I can raise my low E string nearly a fifth, to a B, but my high e string can only be raised a second, to the F#. Is this normal, or should it be able to raise a fourth over any string?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 11:56 PM

You should be able to raise a fourth on the G. I highly recommend reading the tech section.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

I read a good bit of the tech section, I'm glad that Rich Harris guy is around

To be honest, I'm deathly afraid of changing strings on this thing. I've heard it's a serious pain to get these floyds working right, and I don't even know how to change the strings. I think I'm going to have to take it to a tech...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarmonkey
We ALL are, man,... we all are!

The trems are a little tricky, but once you get them setup, it's heavenly.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachle7
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarmonkey
We ALL are, man,... we all are!

The trems are a little tricky, but once you get them setup, it's heavenly.
Well I don't even know how to change the strings. The little 9-step procedure in the Ibanez booklet seems almost too easy. I mean, if it was easy, then there wouldn't be 15 pages of info on Rich's site.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Vendor

If you're not even willing to attempt to changes strings then you either bought the wrong guitar or your tech is cheap and lives a block away
Rich is online  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
If you're not even willing to attempt to changes strings then you either bought the wrong guitar or your tech is cheap and lives a block away
Well I'm definitely willing to attempt, the options that the guitar provides are worth it to go through the process, I'm just afraid I'm going to screw something up along the way. But my guitar tech does live a few blocks away...

All I wanted to know is if it is easy as the Ibanez booklet tells, and if anybody had any advice or tips or things to watch out for
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:55 PM
Vendor

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Someday I'll write a simple page on changing strings, just not today Some covered here too

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_1.htm
Rich is online  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:11 AM
Fry

It took me freakin 4 hrs to learn how to change the strings on my jem, but once I figured it out, it really is a peice of cake. Actually I think it was just raising the pitch a half step, whatever, it is the same thing.

Tags
guitar tech , locking nut , neck screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode