Jem DNA Replica Neck Problems - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Jem DNA Replica Neck Problems

Hey guys I need some help. I recently bought a custom built Jem DNA off of evil bay and although it looks fantastic there are some issues that I have found with the neck. First of all it would choke out on full and tone and a half bends at the 7th, 10th and 15th frets even when there was a lot of neck relief. Furthermore the intonation is really off on the B and high E strings and straightening out the neck just made matters worse. Obviously everyone has a preference as to how they want their guitar to feel and play. Mine being a straight a neck as I can get with an action of 2.5/3.00 mm at the 12th fret between string and fingerboard, which i have managed to achieve this on all my MIJ Jems and Premium models. Anyway back to the matter in hand. I decided to dress the frets which worked out well in as much as I eradicated all dead spots and managed to straighten out the neck with an action of 3mm at the 12th fret. However I still canít get it to intonate on the 1st and 2nd strings. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth I noticed that on the bass side the fingerboard it measures 5mm of thickness and on the treble side 4.4mm. Itís really noticeable how offset it is by looking at it from both ends of the neck. I can only assume that this is the cause of the problems and was not radiused correctly. With all that said when the frets were tapped in they were going into a misshapen fingerboard, so I was never going to get the intonation in on the top two strings even after dressing the frets. Any thoughts guys as to how I can correct this other than what I am dreading which is pulling out the frets and having it reshaped and then re fretted. Such a shame as the attention to detail with the inlays is spot on and TBH a refret alone will cost somewhere in the region of £200- 250 GBP let alone reshaping the finger board. What would you guys do? Is this neck toast or should I try and contact the neck builder and see if he would agree to do the work for a reasonable price? After all the problem was there in the construction of the neck build and shouldnít really matter that I am the second owner. I donít want to name names as I believe he is a member on this forum. I can only imagine that he was having a bad day at the office when he glued down the fingerboard as it slipped past him that its not radiused correctly. Any thoughts as to how I can resolve this. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 PM

Re: Jem DNA Replica Neck Problems

If you are the second owner it's really up to you, not the builder.
It sounds like fret pulling time.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Reviews: 37

yeah. i bet the board is from aiguitars. i had so many issues with thicknesses and radius are crapp from him.

i would get nate perle to build a neck for 370.00.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Wink Re: Jem DNA Replica Neck Problems

The neck was built by someone here in the UK. Just can't believe that he let it go out like that. If i can't get it sorted out for a reasonable price i think i might give myself the satisfaction of karate kicking it and watching this piece of sh!t snap in half before my very eyes. I mean seriously you would have be tone deaf not to notice that this thing won't intonate.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If this is the guitar in thinking of, the luthier that built the neck makes amazing guitars and the chap that did the swirl is also a member here. I am surprised that the neck has issues, maybe the neck was sold to the guy you bought the guitar off as a "factory second" or with known issues etc etc. to be honest you've no recourse against anyone except the party that sold you the guitar.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Reviews: 120

Return the guitar to the seller, or see if you can get a discount due to the bad neck. The difference can cover you for a replacement neck.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:57 PM

Instead of Karate kicking the neck in half.... you could use it to learn how to do a refret yourself. Pull the frets and radius the board yourself...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
If this is the guitar in thinking of, the luthier that built the neck makes amazing guitars and the chap that did the swirl is also a member here. I am surprised that the neck has issues, maybe the neck was sold to the guy you bought the guitar off as a "factory second" or with known issues etc etc. to be honest you've no recourse against anyone except the party that sold you the guitar.
I believe this is that very same guitar. The Luthier that built the neck shouldn't have let it gone out like that. Must have slipped through. However it was originally up for over £1300 GBP by a seller and dealer who really should know better than to sell a guitar with neck issues to the guy i won it from on evil bay. I thought something smelt fishy when it was back on the bay after just one week of being sold. At least i am happy with the swirl and i just managed to snag myself a MIJ RG550 neck. Just finished bolting it on and yay hallelujah. It plays like a dream. Returning the neck is a no goer as i have already dressed the frets. Perhaps the DNA neck might come in handy as fire wood in the cold winter months.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Instead of Karate kicking the neck in half.... you could use it to learn how to do a refret yourself. Pull the frets and radius the board yourself...
You make a good point. I'm just trying to make light of the situation as i have been pulling my hair out over this, especially after doing a fret dress and finding that the intonation was still way out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemvdy View Post
You make a good point. I'm just trying to make light of the situation as i have been pulling my hair out over this, especially after doing a fret dress and finding that the intonation was still way out.
Oh I know man.. I'd be about to the point of using it for a baseball bat or something if I paid good money for a messed up neck like that too. Good luck with Karate.... or Luthiery
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
yeah. i bet the board is from aiguitars. i had so many issues with thicknesses and radius are crapp from him.

i would get nate perle to build a neck for 370.00.
Yeah the maple one I'm working on now was about 2mm different from side to side and front to back as well AND the pyramid inlays I bought from him to go with it wouldn't even fit in the routes. Luckily the damn thing was so think there's plenty of wood left to fix it, but this is the first and last board I buy form AIguitars... just crap all the way around....
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
Yeah the maple one I'm working on now was about 2mm different from side to side and front to back as well AND the pyramid inlays I bought from him to go with it wouldn't even fit in the routes. Luckily the damn thing was so think there's plenty of wood left to fix it, but this is the first and last board I buy form AIguitars... just crap all the way around....
yep and i got some where the inlays were cut off center with the radius.

Tags
jem dna vai2k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode