Jem DXF files R us! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Jem DXF files R us!

Hi there everyone... some of you may have read in another thread that I was modelling the Jem body in DXF and DWG format, but I was having problems with the Monkey Grip. Well, I have now sorted that out and I just need a couple more meaurements to finish the whole thing off (can be taken straight from a body, but I don't have one!) The info I need is:

1) Depth of the Trem Post holes
2) Radius and/or length of the curve for the neck access cutaway (Z axis (depth) - I know it's 8mm, but I have no measurement of how far it takes to curve flat.)

Eddie, sorry I haven't emailed you the files I said I would yet, I have been waiting to give you the final thing rather than just bits and pieces.

If someone can give me the information, I'll finish the model tonight and make it available to everyone here on Jemsite I was going to write a tutorial on how to model it in Autocad... let me know if you want me to or if you think it's not worth spending the time on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 02:01 PM
Vendor

The post anchors are 25mm long.
nienturi likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 03:58 PM

this is cool! could i get a copy of the file when you're done? altough i don't have access to a cnc, i've been learning some autocad, and this should be fun to play with.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the trem post measurement Rich. I took a guess at the arc for the neck access - it looked to me to be about 10mm from the point of where it is cut away to where it levels out. If anyone can give me an accurate measurement, I'll redo that part. It's the only part that isn't taken straight from the blueprints.

I don't have any webspace so I can't post a link to download it, so if you want the file, email me. If you want to put it up for other people to download, please do. Glen, if you want to make it available on Jemsite, then be my guest. If anyone does want to put it up on their website or use it for anything you are more than welcome, just give me a credit cos it took me bloody ages to do (no previous experience of CAD at all before trying this out!!)

The only thing I haven't done is given the front and rear face edges a radius cos I figured if you were going to CNC it or something, you'd be finishing the body by sanding anyway so it's easy to take off the edges

Let me know if you think anything is wrong with it...
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 08:30 PM
Vendor

Thimg is, I can't really figure out what the measurement you're asking for, too complicated for me. If you told me to measure from point A to point B....
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

OK, I have set up a freebie online file sharing account... (can't wait for the junk mail to roll in...) so here are the links to the files.

http://www.sharemation.com/divabanana/Jem/Jem.dwg

http://www.sharemation.com/divabanana/Jem/Jem.dxf

Will take some measurements and do an AANJ verion when I have some time.
nienturi likes this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

OK, you know where the neck access cutaway is? The cutaway arc on the back of the heel joint... This link shows the cross section of the body with Point A to Point B marked!! Need the distance from where the cutaway starts (A) to where it levels out (B) and if possible the radius...

http://www.sharemation.com/divabanan...easurement.jpg
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 10:11 PM

Kick Ass! Now I'll show you guys some of my Rendering Skillz!

Anyone have a DXF for the Satriani guitar?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:16 PM
Vendor

OK, evidently we're talking pre AANJ. A plane to B plane measures 10mm, the length of the curve measured along plane B [is subjective because these are all curved edges] roughly 20mm.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 11:51 PM

WOW!!!!!! amazing dude! this is great. how about a neck?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 10:53 AM

Awesome work !! Did you draw it entirely in AutoCAD, or did you also used Autodesk Mechanical Desktop??

Great work and thanks for sharing it !

Cheers,
Joten
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Rich, the difference from A to B plane is 8mm (it says on the blueprints...) but thanks for the measurement. I think I'll resize the plans and print out and work out the radius from there. I'll redo that cutaway and replace the dxf and dwg files with the new one asap (but won't be before Tuesday!)

Caprile, I think a neck is out of my ability range (given I didn't know any CAD before this!) but I think I'll give it a go as my next tryout. If I get anywhere with it, I'll be sure to let you know!

Joten, it was done entirely in AutoCAD 2002. I don't have Mechanical Desktop (and probably wouldn't know how to use it if I did!) does it have advantages over AutoCAD?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagbol
Caprile, I think a neck is out of my ability range (given I didn't know any CAD before this!)
really? excellent first attempt man!!! you learn fast!
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 08:02 PM
Vendor

It may say 8 on the blueprint, but it's 10 on the 88' FP I measured
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 09:26 PM
EKG

spagbol - Very nice! Entirely in Autocad 2002? Have you ever used MDT or Inventor? I will be importing this into Inventor shortly. I find Autocad very tedious and to see what you've done in such a short time is quite amazing! It's cool, because all I do is change the properties to see what color(s) I would like to finish a body in Also, not sure about Autocad itself, but in Inventor, you can actually make specific surfaces a color. For instance, you can make the body Loch Ness Green, the claw Shocking Pink and the electronics cavities a dark gray for shielding. If anybody is interested, I will be making the necks sometime shortly here, and I will post on this thread

Excellent job!! Quite impressed!!!

Tags
custom jem , guitar body , loch ness green , monkey grip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode