JEM FAULTY CONSTRUCTION??? - Fixable problem??? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

JEM FAULTY CONSTRUCTION??? - Fixable problem???

Hello. * I recently bought a MINT 1999 Jem 7DBK (Textured Black Finish)

Its a favorite of my 8 guitars, (5 of them Ibanez Rg models), *but I noticed that the Strings seem out of line passed the 12th fret.

For instance : on the High E, *fretting the string from the 12th fret on shows the string VERY VERY CLOSE to the EDGE of the Fretboard. * We are talking it takes RAZOR SHARP accuracy when fretting at high speeds or else the string flies right off the ride of the boad. *I compared this to my other RG models, all pretty good models as well (3120TW, USRG30,) *and the High E THERE is more evenly spaced.

I noticed the Low E string has TONS of extra wood above it on the board too.

Is the Bridge out of line? *Whatever the problem is, *is it fixable???

Thank you for your help.

-Greg

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 11:31 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
JEM FAULTY CONSTRUCTION???

first rule out tremolo post misalignment.

* look at the tremolo knife edges and where they sit on the post. They should be centered (or near centered) but most importantly NOT touching/rubbing the sides

Once this is confirmed, the likely suspec, common with bolt-on necks, is the fact that the neck is shifted in the pocket. You can see discussion about this (and what to do) in this thread

http://jemsiteforum.com/board/topic....&replies=8

... glen
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2001, 12:22 PM

After you get the neck straight, check those four screws on the joint periodically (monthly) and tighten them if necessary.
Last night I found my UV's neck had moved out of alignment again. I fixed it in a minute. I guess the wood looses it's grip on the screws with temperature/humidity change.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2001, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the Advice. *I am having part of the upper part of the body that was pushing down on the neck removed. *I know a fabulous guitar luthier who works on, and builds guitars. *he told me what he was going to do, and it sounded like a solid plan.

he said the pickguard and body were pushing the neck down, *and with the SLIGHTEST dril piece, was going to shave away part of the body and pickguard. *He also will put Maple Shavings in the Screw holes to strengthen them. *

I have a question for administrators : *how often do you do a clean sweep and just wipe a ton of crappy forum discussions clean from the site?? * Since I asked a question on here that is already covered, *you can go ahead and delete this one. *

thanks.

G-Zeus, *Shred God of Gods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode