JEM JR upgrade from spares - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By dioloysious
  • 1 Post By dioloysious
  • 2 Post By bob493

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

Smile JEM JR upgrade from spares

Hi there

I've just got back into playing recently and have ordered a JEM JR to add to the collection (the wife would've flipped if I'd gotten a proper one!).

I've seen a few people talk about upgrading the bridge and pickups, so I went digging through my spares collection and found most of the hardware from my old RG plus the neck.

So I have a black trem that just says Ibanez EDGE JAPAN on one side of the trem block and HS on the other side, the locking nut and string guide bar, 6 black GOTOH tuners (no other markings that I can see) and an unmarked humbucker (the poles on one of the coils are flat head screws). If it helps identify those parts, the neck says RG-750 and has serial no F921415.

My question is, are any of these parts worth putting on the JEM JR as an upgrade and would they be a straight swap?

Also, I seem to have misplaced one of the trem posts, where would I look to get a replacement?

Many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Re: JEM JR upgrade from spares

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioloysious View Post
Hi there

I've just got back into playing recently and have ordered a JEM JR to add to the collection (the wife would've flipped if I'd gotten a proper one!).

I've seen a few people talk about upgrading the bridge and pickups, so I went digging through my spares collection and found most of the hardware from my old RG plus the neck.

So I have a black trem that just says Ibanez EDGE JAPAN on one side of the trem block and HS on the other side, the locking nut and string guide bar, 6 black GOTOH tuners (no other markings that I can see) and an unmarked humbucker (the poles on one of the coils are flat head screws). If it helps identify those parts, the neck says RG-750 and has serial no F921415.

My question is, are any of these parts worth putting on the JEM JR as an upgrade and would they be a straight swap?

Also, I seem to have misplaced one of the trem posts, where would I look to get a replacement?

Many thanks!
After digging around further, I've found the original body and the other pickups so it seems more sensible to rebuild the whole thing and have an extra guitar now. I've had a look at the Ibanez catalogues and it appears to be an 1988/1989 RG750 so will be nice to add it back to the collection!
FireEagle likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
After digging around further, I've found the original body and the other pickups so it seems more sensible to rebuild the whole thing and have an extra guitar now. I've had a look at the Ibanez catalogues and it appears to be an 1988/1989 RG750 so will be nice to add it back to the collection!
Definitely a guitar worth restoring to original! What color is it, out of curiosity? Should have come with an F2 pickup bridge pickup made by DiMarzio, which I think sound great.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Hi there, thanks for the reply!

Sadly, the original paint is no more (16 y.o. me had no taste), it WAS candy apple red I think. It has the sharkfin inlays with neck and head binding, wasn't one with a pick guard and was HSS. Not sure how best to go about identifying the pickups?
FireEagle likes this.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
So I have a black trem that just says Ibanez EDGE JAPAN on one side of the trem block and HS on the other side
Edge tremolo; should look like this. Lemme know if it doesnt for some reason lol

Quote:
6 black GOTOH tuners (no other markings that I can see)
standard equipment for basically all mij ibbies!

Quote:
unmarked humbucker (the poles on one of the coils are flat head screws).
If thats indeed an rg750, your stock pickups would have been an F2 at the bridge and an F4 at the neck; neither of those have flat head poles, so that narrows that down. Further, the "F" pickups will be stamped "MADE IN USA" on the back, as well as having triangle mounting tabs.

Instead, you probably just have a V1/V2 set. I cant think of a good reason why youd have those as well as a 750 neck unless it was some kind of parts guitar situation. Not a huge deal, just wouldnt be much sense in downgrading for no reason.

Quote:
the neck says RG-750 and has serial no F921415.

That neck is a square heel and would be incompatible

Quote:
they pop up, problem is they use various sizes; we'll have to narrow down the guitar more, or show us some pics.

And YES! Definitely worth putting together lol

Quote:
Hi there, thanks for the reply!

Sadly, the original paint is no more (16 y.o. me had no taste), it WAS candy apple red I think. It has the sharkfin inlays with neck and head binding, wasn't one with a pick guard and was HSS. Not sure how best to go about identifying the pickups?
Ah, so this would be a 1992 RG760 then. Should have looked something like this...

bob493 is online  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Some pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_153900833_1614009081345.jpg (4.26 MB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_153915511_1614009109278.jpg (4.93 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_153946658_1614009124649.jpg (3.19 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_154904398_1614009139098.jpg (3.70 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_154414556_1614009155940.jpg (4.10 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_154418007_1614009172640.jpg (4.08 MB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20210222_154421316_1614009188213.jpg (4.11 MB, 13 views)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Some pictures...
That looks like an edge alright. But to use it in the jem jr I'm afraid you'd have to do some routing. The stud spacing may be off too which would require plugging and redrilling them. The best drop in replacement I've heard for the jr seems to be the gotoh 1996t
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Many thanks!
The part number for these is 2LE2B. You can easily buy them from Rich (Ibanez Rules banner on this site), eBay and other places.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 02:18 PM

Yeah, the singles are definitely s1's so I cant think of a good reason why the bridge wouldnt be a V2. Serviceable but not the greatest pickups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joabim View Post
That looks like an edge alright. But to use it in the jem jr I'm afraid you'd have to do some routing. The stud spacing may be off too which would require plugging and redrilling them. The best drop in replacement I've heard for the jr seems to be the gotoh 1996t
If it fits a TRS or lo-trs it'll fit an edge or lo pro just fine. Stud spacing is identical on every floyd rose guitar ever. Its a licensed design. Every floyd rose from the dawn of time, until the heat death of the universe is going to be 74mm stud spacing.

Then if its an edge 3, you need about 12 seconds with a dremel to make it fit. Basically the footprint of the base on the edge/lo pro is like a millimeter too big; takes almost no effort.

Edge pro 2's though? THAT one can take some actual routing. The trem itself will fit just fine, but the problem is the base plate system is offset and you'd need to route move it over to properly fit the replacement tremolo.

Obviously not discussing edge zero systems ofc, thats an entirely different can of worms.
bob493 is online  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob493 View Post
Yeah, the singles are definitely s1's so I cant think of a good reason why the bridge wouldnt be a V2. Serviceable but not the greatest pickups.

If it fits a TRS or lo-trs it'll fit an edge or lo pro just fine. Stud spacing is identical on every floyd rose guitar ever. Its a licensed design. Every floyd rose from the dawn of time, until the heat death of the universe is going to be 74mm stud spacing.

Then if its an edge 3, you need about 12 seconds with a dremel to make it fit. Basically the footprint of the base on the edge/lo pro is like a millimeter too big; takes almost no effort.

Edge pro 2's though? THAT one can take some actual routing. The trem itself will fit just fine, but the problem is the base plate system is offset and you'd need to route move it over to properly fit the replacement tremolo.

Obviously not discussing edge zero systems ofc, thats an entirely different can of worms.
Lol okay, didn't know about the stud spacing - I've only seen the difference when it comes to the edge zero and lo-pro, but different can of worms then as you say. But I really thought switching the trem for an edge or lopro would be a bit more invasive as people warned me about when I was considering a jem jr for upgrading, but I guess not then - might consider doing it myself some time then
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Lol okay, didn't know about the stud spacing - I've only seen the difference when it comes to the edge zero and lo-pro, but different can of worms then as you say. But I really thought switching the trem for an edge or lopro would be a bit more invasive as people warned me about when I was considering a jem jr for upgrading, but I guess not then - might consider doing it myself some time then
I've seen the same "warnings" countless times lol. I've done this a fair amount of times, its not nearly the amount of work I've seen people claim. If you'd like, I've got dimensions of various floyds as well as direct measurements from various bodies I can pm you if youre interested. The lo-trs model ibanez's should basically be a drop in replacement; the lo-trs is bigger lol. The edge 3 is a teeny tiny bit smaller and a bit more contoured, so the body shape matches that which causes the "lack of fit". The edge pro 2 one is irritating because it fits the cavity just fine, but where the block goes doesnt fit at all. THAT SAID, its been a few years, but last time i did that particular upgrade, I realized that part of the guitar is invisible, its a cheap korean ibanez, and no ones gonna care... so I smacked it with a chisel and carved out enough room real fast lol.

Now, in full fairness and full disclosure, despite having done this like a dozen times, I DID encounter an issue once. Im not sure what the deal was; I wish I measured the thing, but I had a korean saber that wouldnt fit an edge because one of the saddle lock bolts was sticking too far out the back and it ran into the body. It was again, like less than a mm, but that IS a very visible and noticeable spot, so youd need to route that for sure. That said, if you lack the skills or equipment to do that, I 100000% promise you you can take that body to a luthier and tell them what you need and they will charge you like 10 bucks for the job.

99.99% of guitars featuring any kind of floyd rose is going to have 74 mm stud spacing with 11mm inserts. REALLY old floyd systems use these studs that actually screw into the body, they are utterly terrible lol; but still, 74mm spacing. I cant think of a single reason why a guitar wouldnt have this spec, but Im giving myself the out for when invariably that one guy comes in "WeLLLLL on my 1982 jackson obscurity, the spacing is SEVENTY SEVEN mm" lol.

edit: Oh yeah, the 1996t is an amazing floyd rose, and a great recommendation regardless of what fits or not.
peromucho7 and joabim like this.
bob493 is online  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob493 View Post
I've seen the same "warnings" countless times lol. I've done this a fair amount of times, its not nearly the amount of work I've seen people claim. If you'd like, I've got dimensions of various floyds as well as direct measurements from various bodies I can pm you if youre interested. The lo-trs model ibanez's should basically be a drop in replacement; the lo-trs is bigger lol. The edge 3 is a teeny tiny bit smaller and a bit more contoured, so the body shape matches that which causes the "lack of fit". The edge pro 2 one is irritating because it fits the cavity just fine, but where the block goes doesnt fit at all. THAT SAID, its been a few years, but last time i did that particular upgrade, I realized that part of the guitar is invisible, its a cheap korean ibanez, and no ones gonna care... so I smacked it with a chisel and carved out enough room real fast lol.

Now, in full fairness and full disclosure, despite having done this like a dozen times, I DID encounter an issue once. Im not sure what the deal was; I wish I measured the thing, but I had a korean saber that wouldnt fit an edge because one of the saddle lock bolts was sticking too far out the back and it ran into the body. It was again, like less than a mm, but that IS a very visible and noticeable spot, so youd need to route that for sure. That said, if you lack the skills or equipment to do that, I 100000% promise you you can take that body to a luthier and tell them what you need and they will charge you like 10 bucks for the job.

99.99% of guitars featuring any kind of floyd rose is going to have 74 mm stud spacing with 11mm inserts. REALLY old floyd systems use these studs that actually screw into the body, they are utterly terrible lol; but still, 74mm spacing. I cant think of a single reason why a guitar wouldnt have this spec, but Im giving myself the out for when invariably that one guy comes in "WeLLLLL on my 1982 jackson obscurity, the spacing is SEVENTY SEVEN mm" lol.

edit: Oh yeah, the 1996t is an amazing floyd rose, and a great recommendation regardless of what fits or not.
Sure man, I'd like to see those dimensions if it's cool. Nice to hear the old adage "nothing is impossible" is alive and well, always was confused why it would be that hard
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies - it's been plenty of help!

I received the JEM JR, needed a fair bit of setting up and seems okay but certainly not what I was looking for. Have pre-ordered a JEM7V, so am looking forward to that, especially as it still has an ebony board.

I'm going to rebuild the old RG for nostalgia purposes, needs a little wood work and re-finishing as well as electrics - so will be something good to potter with on rainy weekends.

Thanks again for all the help, and it's been great to find such a trove of information on here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode