Jem setup, bridge/gauge/action - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Jem setup, bridge/gauge/action

First proper post, nice to be here!

Been playing a JEM7DBK for about 9 or 10 years, been my only guitar and I've always maintained that everything about it is absolutely perfect. Never played anything that comes close and I've played enough high end Gibson, Fender, PRS, BC Rich, Carvin etc to be able to have a less biased opinion.

I recently picked up a Jackson soloist, so I could play a whole step down without having to mess with the JEM at all. The JEM has always been set up as a lightning fast shred machine; lowest action possible, super slinky strings, thinnest neck I've ever touched. I knew the Jackson would be different with the thicker/rounder neck, higher action and heavier gauge strings (52-10 Ernie ball) but it seems to play nicer than my Ibanez. Took about 2 minutes to feel comfortable playing it and then jumping back to my DBK just felt weird, even though I've been playing it for years and years.

Really weird as I'm still trying to figure out what exactly it is that feels so different between the two and I keep jumping between them to see what it is. The Jackson almost feels like I have more control and with long legato runs it's easier to keep going without losing much of the sound.

So, I'm thinking of getting my Ibanez set up with regular slinkys, to get the feel of the 10s on the lighter strings and raise the action a bit as well. I was mainly wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before, where their prized guitar suddenly feels a bit weird compared to something new? I still prefer the sound of my Ibanez, so I'd love it to stay as my main axe, it just feels a bit strange at the moment.

Also as an aside, I'm interested to knowing how people (or more importantly, Steve) are managing to get so much range out of their Edge bridges when pulling up on the bar. It seems Steve can get 4-5 semitones out of his with relative ease and my Jem can manage 1-2 depending on the string. Is this due to the original Edge bridge having a higher profile than the Lo-Pro, which allows more room for pulling up on the underside of the bridge? The one thing I can happily say is that my Lo-Pro Edge ****s all over the Floyd Rose on the Jackson. Spring tension is set looser, but it just feels a lot more responsive and natural to play with.

Sorry for the long, rambling post! Hopefully I'm not being too overbearing for my first post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM

Reviews: 13
Re: Jem setup, bridge/gauge/action

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
The JEM has always been set up as a lightning fast shred machine; lowest action possible, super slinky strings, thinnest neck I've ever touched. I knew the Jackson would be different with the thicker/rounder neck, higher action and heavier gauge strings (52-10 Ernie ball) but it seems to play nicer than my Ibanez.
On a 25.5" scale, for the high E string:

- standard tuning .009: tension is 5.94 kg;
- whole step down .010: tension is 5.85 kg.

So, your Jackson has slightly less string tension than your Ibanez, using the setup you said. You also should consider that the Jackson has a compound fretboard radius (12 to 16"), a feature known for being crazy comfortable and highly addictive. The Ibanez has uniform 17" radius.

And different hands can feel necks differently: what is comfortable to your hands may be feel awkward to mine, so it's a very personal thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra View Post
I was mainly wondering if anyone has ever experienced anything like this before, where their prized guitar suddenly feels a bit weird compared to something new?
This happens to me more often than I would like. I changed my "main guitar" many times through the years because I always found one which felt/sounded better. Worth saying that your playing tastes may change as time passes by, also.

I think you should follow your heart. Use the guitar which gives you more pleasure at the moment, and be aware that this can change.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 03:27 AM
Banned

Re: Jem setup, bridge/gauge/action

pups are a major factor, volume and also tonal range of the pups in relation to body/neck/fretboard woods. I have a plywood Kramer 210, a heavy mid-range beast, with stock Seymour Duncan livewires/metal pups. There hasn't been a single guitar that can shred better than this. Maybe breeds are a little weak compared to the pups in your Soloist?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode