Jem strings breakage - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Jem strings breakage

I have two Jems, a 7DBK and a 7VWH and both of them keep breaking strings at roughly about 1/8" in from their bridge saddle. Typically this happens on the treble strings but it has happened on the d string too.

This sometimes happen's during regular playing and soetimes whilst pulling up a couple of full tones on the trem.

Any tips folks ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Vendor

Change strings more often
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Is that really the likely culprit of such string breakages ?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Vendor

Absolutely, but too hard a pick attack and/or too much whammy use point to the causes.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

ok, I must admit the Jems get used for the heavier tones and I do tend to be a bit lazy on changing their strings ... my guitars that get used for cleaner tones get heavier strings and more frequent changes and funnily enough, very few string breakages
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 01:59 AM

I can pretty much predict when I'm going to break a string.

I just play at home now and have become lax about changing them as often as I should, problem is I'm a whammy nut so I put quite a bit of stress on my strings.

After about 3 weeks (and this is actually pretty good) I'll pull the bar up and "ZING", there goes my high E string. I'll pretty much expect it though, and this is when the strings get changed.

Right now my 520 is sitting in its stand with broken E and B strings. Just too lazy to change them at the moment. :-)

As Rich said, change them more often and you won't have a problem.

When I was working as a tech for Paul Plumeri the strings on his guitars got changed every 2 gigs, every gig during the summer if we played outdoors or in a club with no AC.

And he plays vintage Strats and Les Pauls, so we're not talking about strings being put through the stress of being pulled up a major 4th like with a FR trem. :-)

Mic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

and of course, once i break a string I'm also guilty of not using a fresh one and just pulling some slack off the post and reattaching the broken string to the trem
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2004, 11:35 PM

Oh well now, that explains A LOT! ;-)

Hey, not everyone can afford to change strings all the time and if that's what you have to do to make ends meet, go for it.

I've done it myself. :-)

Just don't complain when they break more often. ;-)

Mic
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2004, 01:47 AM

Bzzzt, bzzzt... pop! Now the light's on!

Tags
les paul , les pauls , string breakage , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode