Jem woody high E string slipping off fretboard - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Jem woody high E string slipping off fretboard

I've had this Jem for about 8 months. I've had a host of problems with this guitar, but most everything has been resolved. The exception is the high E string slipping off the fretboard. I have no idea what to do about it. Anybody else experience this? Any comments would be appreciated. For what it's worth I had a '93 Blue floral that I loved. Being an idiot I traded it in for a Gibson SG. What was I thinking?
Anyway any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:16 PM
Vendor

Re: Jem woody high E string slipping off fretboard

Look straight at the fretboard at the last fret and compare the space between the low and high e's to the edge of the fretboard.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Wow! Good Call. There is maybe 1/16" inch difference between the low E edge of fretboard and high E. Is there a way to shift the trem to even that out?
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 AM
Vendor

You would shift the neck, loosen the screws, pull it hard bass side. But Premiums usually have tight pockets that will not budge. Requires fixing the neck pocket, which an amateur can do but i'd leave it to a pro. A good one, not one pretending to be a pro.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:10 AM

Reviews: 13

Shifted neck is an extremely common problem with Music Man guitars. The ironic part is that those bastards shamelessly advertise their 5 screws bolt-on as "perfect alignment, no shifting". And if you talk about this problem on their forums, you'll probably will banned. This question popped up so many times that one of the moderators recorded a video showing how to align the neck (which many times is not enough):

I've seen just a few cases outside Music Man.

Last edited by Rachmaninoff; 06-21-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode