Jem10 Neck 2: Truss Rod - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Jem10 Neck 2: Truss Rod

It's the Jem10 #5 again... or actually, still. Now i have the trus rod adjusted, and the neck is a whole lot better now. But the resonance is still there. )-:

If you hold the guitar by the headstock with one hand, and tap gently with your thumb to the neck, you can feel and hear it, just like a pool table cue (SP?) that's broken on the inside. It really feels like the rod that's shaking.

The rod is not broken, because it still functions pulling the neck straight, but i hoped that tightening it would also stop it from moving, but it doesn't.
I also don't know why it's vibrating. I think it's metal to wood, but i don't really know what the rod looks like exactly...

So... what can one do about this? Is it the result of bad maintenance (the guitar has been through hell)? Don't you guys think that a customer can expect more from a Jem10 neck and that ibanez should replace if for free and send me a few boxes of chocolait?

Thanks for any input on this...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:04 AM

Burt, where exactly in holland are you located? I would like to get a look at that one..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 10:16 AM

I had a BC Rich Warlock that did the same thing. Annoying as hell when i played it ,all i could feel when i played was the vibrations from the truss rod . My way of fixing it was to put a dab of silicone just under the rod (it was hard as hell to do but i did it )then i sold it! You could sell it But you probably dont want to sell yours. Try and figure out if its coming from the headstock end or the body end of the rod. If its the headstock end you might be able to put a dap of silicone caulking under the bar to keep it from vibrating (its thick enough to act like a cusion) just let it dry good Thats what i did to my Warlock.If its the body end god luck. or you could find a good repair man to take off the fretboard and fix or replace the rod.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:11 AM

Venomous,
did you put silicone right inside the rod tunnel?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 11:15 AM

ya , but like i said it was hard. just a dab between the rob and the fretboard
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 12:29 PM

oh, good to know, thanx!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMOUS
I had a BC Rich Warlock that did the same thing. Annoying as hell when i played it ,all i could feel when i played was the vibrations from the truss rod . My way of fixing it was to put a dab of silicone just under the rod (it was hard as hell to do but i did it )then i sold it! You could sell it But you probably dont want to sell yours. Try and figure out if its coming from the headstock end or the body end of the rod. If its the headstock end you might be able to put a dap of silicone caulking under the bar to keep it from vibrating (its thick enough to act like a cusion) just let it dry good Thats what i did to my Warlock.If its the body end god luck. or you could find a good repair man to take off the fretboard and fix or replace the rod.

I call bull****, how did you get silicone under the truss rod? In 99.99% of all guitars the ONLY way to get under a truss rod is by taking it out. Even a syringe filled with silicone (if you could get it through the needle) wouldn't go under a rod. A truss rod has a seat at both ends, the part that rattles is the rods that actually go through the neck, they should have a piece of foam or something to dampen them, but sometimes they don't. The nut end will seat tight in the slot against the bottom and the fretboard, unless somebody really screwed up the slot it would be nearly water tight. I suppose you could drill a small hole in the back of the neck and put silicone in there, but that would mean a hole in the back of the neck which would suck.

I can't offer a solution other than removing the fretboard and reinstalling the truss rod properly, but without seeing you somehow inject silicone under the rod I don't buy that for a second.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 01:55 PM

ALL HAIL THE GOD OF ALL REPAIR KNOWLEDGE
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I live in Hilversum, but i could take it to Amsterdam or Eindhoven sometime.

I thought to perhaps drill a hole in the back of the neck on the anchor side and put some silicone in it. I don't know if that would be far enough up the neck to be hidden by the body if the neck is put back...

I really would hate to have anybody else do stuff to this guitar that i would not understand, and i am not going to sell her.

Sometimes i really wonder if Ibanez could replace this neck and what it would cost. Any ideas?

Also, do you guys think this is a production flaw (after all, she has #5, and has more imperfections than the higher #'s i've seen so far...) or bad maintenence, or a setup screw-up?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 05:30 PM

I've only seen 2 or 3 Jem/RG truss rods, but they are double rods. Jeremy would know this because he does more fretboard replacements, but isn't there a small cardboard paper "spacer" right around the center of the rod, between the two? I've seen it with double rods before but I can't remember if it was on an Ibanez. It's purpose is to stop rod-to-rod rattles and knocks, and maybe to make certain there's tension in the slot even when the rod is loose, to avoid rod-to-wood noises. If that came loose in there or was never installed you'd have that problem.

As far as a fix, I'd remove one of the leaf inlays around the center of the board, like the 6th or 8th fret. Or you could do the 6th and 15th fret. Then drill through to the channel, and apply a small shim or some caulk frontwards and backwards before replacing the inlay. You'd need a couple new inlays but those leaves are large enough that you could drill a nice sized hole (like 1/4") to the channel and have enough room to work.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 05:31 PM

BTW, you'd have to use a router bit to drill down so you don't harm the truss rod, like with forstner bits or brad points the little pilot goes further than the outer part. And my vote would be for the business card shim rather than the caulk.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMOUS
ALL HAIL THE GOD OF ALL REPAIR KNOWLEDGE
Instead of being a jackass about my post and screaming sarcasm as loudly as possible you COULD have described how you actually did it and remove the doubt. Your reply only reinforces the idea that you are speaking without experience. You have to understand my doubt when I've attempted dealings with you in the past only to have you flake every time. Along with emails from you asking me for information on how to do certain custom jobs with no intent of me doing the work, then replying with comments like, "I don't really even know if you could do it since I don't know what it's going to look like but it will be very complex" (from the email you sent me)

Frank, the Ibanez rods are a fixed flat rod on the top, with the adjustment rod underneath, they typically have so much foam and glue in the slot I am always amazed when one rattles. There is a spacer, though I don't know if it's there to stop rattles so much as it's there to make sure the upper rod can only bend outwards, without it there is a possibility of it bending in towards the adjustment rod and just rendering the rod useless.

Removing the leaf is a decent idea, but there isn't really a leaf on the vine neck that is large enough at the center to do much with it. The Ibanez rods end at about the 16th fret I believe, so doing one in around the 6th or 8th fret would be about the best method. Also, the other problem is that the flat rod in the Ibanez neck is dead tight to the fretboard, and the sides of the truss rod route, you'd never get something in there unless you drilled down beside the truss rod and injected silicone or something which I suppose you could do. what surprises me, is the way the Ibanez rods are, as long as there is tension on the rod, it shouldn't rattle regardless of whether or not there is foam or any dampening in there, they fit so tight it's sick to start with, if you ever have to remove an Ibanez rod you're in for a real treat LOL!!!! In all honesty, the best fix would be a hole in the back of the neck where you can actually get to the rod that would be causing the rattle (the round adjustable one) and plug that hole, it's just unfortunate that it would show in the long run.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:26 PM

Stupid stupid stupid...........
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:27 PM

dumb forum tells me posting fails and then posts it 3 times :S
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Frank, the Ibanez rods are a fixed flat rod on the top, with the adjustment rod underneath, they typically have so much foam and glue in the slot I am always amazed when one rattles.
And that's why I'm curious to see it. There's a lot that can rattle on a neck besides the rod, so..

Tags
ibanez neck , ibanez necks , rich warlock , truss rod , truss rods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode