Jem77 DY Maple restore - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Re: Jem77 DY Maple restore

Ibanez uses tung oil on their necks. Not only that but if the neck ever needs repair again, tung oil is easy to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 06:01 PM
Vendor

The back is oiled, the fretboard is clearcoat, matte as far as I can tell but I have seen varrying degrees of sheen [on crisp basically unplayed guitars so it's not matte worn gloss].
Rich is online  
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
HDS

After working with this board I have found that not all boards clean the same. Depending on the grain of the wood and amount of ware has a lot to do with what you can achieve without damaging the board. My DY board’s maple is cut to where it has a nice flaming pattern made up of squares. Bigshred’s board maple is your length wise gain the runs up the full length, being that more soft wood is exposed to absorbing oils and grease of your fingers and more wear to the wood fibers making it hard to clean as appose to other grains.

The very very deep stains can’t be removed; they vanish from the surface but come out when wetted with your finishing coat making a “ghost” remnant of the past stain. Or at lest with Tung oil. I would guess a non-oil finish would have a different effect being it wouldn’t absorb into the grain like Tung oil does. I like Tung oil because it brings out the flaming nicely.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM

Any new pics?
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 06:28 PM

BigShred, I'm happy that you've got the clean fretboard you were looking for but please remember this is a public forum and other DY owners might not feel the same way as you. I simply have a different outlook to you. I didn't post my opinion to start any kind of fight with you, I simply offered a different point of view. Once you get used to using the internet you'll find that many different people have different points of view.

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 02-10-2008 at 10:42 AM. Reason: lets not taint a good thread;O)
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 08:00 PM

I feel I have every right to comment in this thread as I too am a DY owner. The difference between you and me is not just in our taste in fretboards. The biggest difference between ourselves is whilst I am only pointing out a difference of opinion the person who needs to ship his fretboard hundreds of miles to get somebody else to clean it for him is responding with this sort of thing " Its easy to talk a lot of **** over the internet with you across the pond and all. I'm trying my hardest to be patient with you. Don't push it."

Once you've spent enough time on the internet to realise that not everyone feels the same way you do and when you've spent enough time around guitars to learn how to clean your own fretboard then perhaps we'll be able to talk.

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 02-10-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: lets not taint a good thread;O)
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Either discuss the fretboard or start a new topic in the Off-topic section.

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 02-10-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: lets not taint a good thread;O)
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Yikes! Guys guys! Peace bros... No need to to fight over this stuff.

BigShred wanted his board clean and I wanted to see if the same methed that workd on my board work for all boards. I was happy to get the chance.

Back to the topic.... I am sealing his board now which wil take a few coats and some time to set. I will snap some photos.
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 AM

Any new pics?
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:17 AM

Enough bickering, back on topic.
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
HDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
Any new pics?
Yeah I got some, need to resize them and upload.
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
Now you know I cant tell ya that
Um.........I could tell you....for the right price Mr. Raptor

Lol...JK HDS, my lips are sealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
Back to the topic.... I am sealing his board now which wil take a few coats and some time to set. I will snap some photos.

Key words being BACK TO TOPIC and please have some respect for the O.P. folks!

BS, one would like to think that since Wade was kind enough and took the effort to start this thread in regards to your DY neck that you would handle yourself in a more constructive manner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShred View Post
Eggy, congrats: The mods clearly like you. I got an infraction because of your baiting.
Respect is earned and fish only take the bait if they want to! You clearly are need of a couple days off so I'll oblige, and that aint no BS!!! We'll see ya in a week

Now chill out folks and let HDS continue with this good informative thread

Great job on the board Mr. Wade

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 02-10-2008 at 11:43 AM.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Damn Wade! See what you started? All over my old DY.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
HDS

Heya Moib, Na its about Bigshreds DY. Mine old yours was finished last year
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 AM

Reviews: 25

Any maple neck maintenance tuitorials floating around the net or jemsite ?

Tags
maple neck , playing guitar , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode