Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jem77p bfp action

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  JsXLine6 
#1 ·
Hi, I got a JEM77p BFP a few years ago that I never played because of very high action. I have good experience in setting up and and adjust necks/bridges but not much on ibanez and none with Jems. I refuse to think that it cannot be lowered more, it's really high, but if I set it lower it buzzes a lot. It seems to me that the nut is very high. Is this something common in Jems? Other ideas?

Thanks

#4 ·
Adding shim to the neck pocket won't make the nut closer to the fret board. It'll make the bridge seem closer to the fretboard. Removing wood under the nut will work, but it can be tedious. You have to be absolutely sure you remain level and not to go too far unless you buy shim. I've done this with some 80 grit sand paper and used the nut as a sanding block. I had shim though, so if I went too far I could shim it. And be careful not to eat into the board where the nut and board meet. The ibanez nuts have a notch cut into them on the under side where the truss rod adjusts, so if you get shim you'll need shim like that. Gotoh makes the edge trem systems so their brand will have that sort of shim.

#6 · (Edited)
If he has a way of doing that then great. You're talking about removing probably the thickness of a 10 gauge gauge string, that's pretty thin, I've never seen any guitar from factory with a ground down nut. I can't see the structural integrity of the neck being compromised by that small amount of material being removed especially if it would be the existing fretboard underneath being shaved down not the shaft wood of the neck. Attached is a pic of an ultra neck on my 1991 540r, as you can see the shelf was cut below the fretboard into the shaft wood from factory.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
If you're going to shave down the nut it self files are doable, or a belt sanding table... The wood can be done with some sand paper and a small sanding block. Remember though, it's completely possible to destroy your nut or neck if you are not capable with your hands. I can't stress this enough. I've been a mechanic and fabricator for 15 years. Please be careful, I really wouldn't want you to make things worse. It's your instrument after all.

#9 · (Edited)
If you still have string buzz, high pickups can cause it, or a fret popping. My js24p had fret buzz from factory due to bad leveling of frets. The premium indonesian ibanez guitars fit and finish are lacking in this department. If you have a nice level straight edge, like a long carpenters square... you can see if there is a leveling problem by straightening the neck and laying the straight edge along the frets. If your neck is straight and the straight edge rocks... You can pinpoint the problem fret(s).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.