JS100 tremolo Stud repair and paint stripping - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down JS100 tremolo Stud repair and paint stripping

I bought a used JS 100 against my better judgement. When I finally decided to tune it the tremolo bridge jumped off of one of the posts. I looked at it closer and found the post and knurled anchor were loose due to a crack in the body between it and the pickup route.

I want to fix it and few have told me to glue and fill so the anchor sits straight again but I want to strip the black paint and do it right if I can.

I tried super stripper for marine and aircraft but the paint does not soften!!!

Should I get a heat gun?

Also what paint can I put back on when I am done that is similar to the gloss and colour black it had from the factory?

thank you ibanez experts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 AM

Re: JS100 tremolo Stud repair and paint stripping

You're getting into tricky territory -- trying to patch a small area and getting it to blend with the surrounding area is expert work. Unless you're very experienced with woodworking and painting, the results are likely to be visible. The fact that you have to sand the patched area smooth means that you'll be removing finish in the adjacent area (at least clearcoat) and may wind up with a low area that will require many clearcoats to level.

I'd suggest using a wood epoxy (like "PC Woody") to reseat the anchor, smoothing the top as well as possible but avoiding sanding anywhere else nearby, and then doing a spot touchup with a small brush. That should be a teeny area right around the anchor and won't be very noticeable. Don't try to patch the crack if it's in the clearcoat only. If you really want to go all-out, you should consider lightly sanding the existing clearcoat (no full stripping) with 300-600 grit and having somewhere like a body shop repaint over the existing finish. The only way to strip those ultra-hard Ibanez finishes is with heat gun or hand sanding -- not easy on a JS body.

Bert
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratoskier View Post
You're getting into tricky territory -- trying to patch a small area and getting it to blend with the surrounding area is expert work. Unless you're very experienced with woodworking and painting, the results are likely to be visible. The fact that you have to sand the patched area smooth means that you'll be removing finish in the adjacent area (at least clearcoat) and may wind up with a low area that will require many clearcoats to level.

I'd suggest using a wood epoxy (like "PC Woody") to reseat the anchor, smoothing the top as well as possible but avoiding sanding anywhere else nearby, and then doing a spot touchup with a small brush. That should be a teeny area right around the anchor and won't be very noticeable. Don't try to patch the crack if it's in the clearcoat only. If you really want to go all-out, you should consider lightly sanding the existing clearcoat (no full stripping) with 300-600 grit and having somewhere like a body shop repaint over the existing finish. The only way to strip those ultra-hard Ibanez finishes is with heat gun or hand sanding -- not easy on a JS body.

Bert

I should post a photo if I can as the crack although small is running right from the right anchor hole to the bridge pickup route on the right side and part way into the tremolo cavity. It had been touched up with black paint so it was not noticable. I have to strip it 100%. Can I use Krylon spray can to get it gloss black again?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 AM

I've used Krylon spray on a couple of guitars and done pretty well. You'll still need to clearcoat over it - the key to a good finish is almost always in the clear coat and polishing stages. Krylon has an acrylic lacquer clear coat (called "Crystal Clear" I think) specifically made to match their Indoor/Outdoor line of paints -- it's good stuff and I've used it over black. Before you get much further, I'd recommend reading the tutorial on painting with rattle cans (written by LGM guitars) over at the Project Guitar forum -- lots of good tips on how to do a decent job with rattle cans.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Reviews: 6

Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a luthier, but I don't think that simply fixing the crack with glue is going to do it -- you might have to pull the post, drill the hole out slightly larger, glue in a new piece of dowel, and re-drill the post hole. Use a drill press for this if you go this route.

The reason I suggest this is that Basswood is quite soft, so this kind of problem could repeat itself. The dowel should lessen that possibility significantly.

As for the paint.....you might only get it looking sharp with a trip to the bodyshop. Krylon can work, but it takes forever to cure -- It's non catalysed, so you're looking at it still being soft, possibly too soft to sand properly, for about a month until it's cured fully. If not longer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:03 PM

If that happened to me I would be looking for a good body on *bay, but that's because I suck at wood and paint work and would rather be playing guitar than repairing them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a luthier, but I don't think that simply fixing the crack with glue is going to do it -- you might have to pull the post, drill the hole out slightly larger, glue in a new piece of dowel, and re-drill the post hole. Use a drill press for this if you go this route.

The reason I suggest this is that Basswood is quite soft, so this kind of problem could repeat itself. The dowel should lessen that possibility significantly.

As for the paint.....you might only get it looking sharp with a trip to the bodyshop. Krylon can work, but it takes forever to cure -- It's non catalysed, so you're looking at it still being soft, possibly too soft to sand properly, for about a month until it's cured fully. If not longer.

OUCH! a month before I can sand it? THat is crazy! I was hoping after a few days to sand the clear coat and then polish!

Does anyone know where I can look for a dowel to insert there and re drill the post hole?

thanks again guys for all your input it is appreciated.

Tags
crack , paint , stud repair

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode