the Js1000 blues - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

the Js1000 blues

Hey guys, gotta lot of small questions I need help with.

It seems no matter what Js1000 I pick up, new or used I always have a slight bit of string buzz. It seems I always have fret problems. Currently I have the action set at 2mm at the 22nd fret on the high e and the low e and in a few places on the neck I have slight string buzz. The 10th fret on the high E is buzzing and thats the only string that does on the high E. The 11th fret on the D string is buzzing, and the low e buzzes slightly anywhere I touch. The neck angle is set using a couple small pieces of paper equal to a buziness card's thickness, if not maybe just a hair thicker set in the neck pocket closest to the neck pickup. The neck has a slight bit of bow, about 0.2mm measured at the 8th fret on the low E. Any suggestions on fixing this? Possibly needs a better setup? Please note that I have not set intonation on this guitar yet. Could that cause the strings to have a slight buzz due to the saddles not in the correct position?

Is it normal for the low E string to buzz a little anywhere on the neck?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 06:23 PM

Is the bow in the neck forward or is it backbow? A little bit of forward bow is normal and can usually help keep the notes cleaner than on a dead-straight neck. If it's backbow, that's probably the source of your woes.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:49 AM

Not enough relief on the neck.

Take it to between .3 and .5 mm (measured at the 9th fret, low E string with it fretted at the first and last frets).

This will help some with the buzz, but remember, no matter how well the frets are dressed/leveled, you will always have SOME buzz at low action (2 mm is considered low).

If you want no buzz at all you'll have to raise the action, or pick lighter. I've gone the higher action road myself. It's amazing, actually, my tone is better (to my ears) no buzzing and it doesn't take long to get used to it, and I have a weakened left hand/arm due to an injury from years ago.

Other than that, you'll just have to live with a little buzz here and there. Listen to a lot of recordings and you'll hear fret buzz from time to time, it just happens. :-)

Mic

Tags
fret buzz , neck angle , neck pickup , straight neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode