Just wanted to thank you all... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-06-2004, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to thank you all...

I don't post here very often yet, but I've read quite a bit of stuff on here. I play an Ibanez RG7421, and it was in bad need of a fret polish. Before I visited this site I would have had no idea how to do it, but after reading through several threads and checking out some of the tutorials on projectguitar.com (which I also found through a link somwhere on this site) I was able to do it.

I used the steel wool method, taped off the fretboard and polished with the steel wool then took the tape off and cleaned the fretboard with a toothbrush. Then I hit the fretboard with some lemon oil lovin', and topped the whole thing off by hitting the frets again with some brass and metal polish. The board and frets gleamed like a new guitar, and it plays so much better and smoother.

I'd post some pics but I don't know how to do it on this site.

I just wanted to express my appreciation for all the great info and discussion on this topic I found here. The info was so thorough I didn't even have to start my own thread about it, I just read through other peoples'.

Thanks to everyone who contributed such great info, and thanks to the jemsite people for making this place such a good resource.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 12:06 PM

That's great, but just a tip . . .

If you want a lasting "shine" on the fretboard, try bore oil (for woodwinds) instead of lemon oil.

I've used both and find I have to "lemon" the boards more often than with bore . . . the only downside is you don't get that citrus-y smell. ;-) J/K

If you MUST use lemon oil, I find that Old English is the best. (Just my preferance).

Just to claify, lemon oil isn't actually lemon oil, it's a petrolium based product, and that's why it dries out more quickly.

If you were to use actual lemon oil (juice, and I think someone on here did that) all you're going to do is dry the wood out totally . . . not good. :-)

Mic
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

I plan on picking up some bore oil as soon as I can, but the nearest shop that carries it is more than fifty miles from here over a mountain range. I used the Old English Lemon Oil because it was the only thing I could find locally. The next time I'm up around that shop I'm going to pick up some bore oil.

Tags
steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

Wanted is the worst movie ever

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode