Kahler vs Floyd Rose - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Re: Kahler vs Floyd Rose

I have used both OFR's and Kahler 2700 and 2720's. I like the fact that OFR parts can be found. I know Kahler USA is open now, but some parts are not available. If they are they are spendy. I didn't have tuning issues with my Kahlers at all. But if your used to OFR's, Kahlers feel different. Try to play one first. If you go the OFR direction try a Gotoh they are nice.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Kahler vs Floyd Rose

Floyd Rose all the way! As others have pointed out, it does feel bulky and cumbersome... Kind of like having an old POS guitar from the 60's with a baseball bat type neck, they just always felt weird to me.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Reviews: 4

Non recessed OFR > anything else. Atleast for me!
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-26-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar GeeK View Post
Read this. Yes, ALL of it.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f30/ka...t-a-97013.html
PS, Kahler is better.
I think I'll forever turn to that thread when I'm in need of a good laugh,
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 AM

i never used a kahler but my lo pro edge with ghs strings one time after really tuning it well lasted for a full month before i had to retune it and i checked it each time i used it by using my laptop with my senheiser mic and ap tuner to check. i usually notice it going out of tune ever 15 days if i do heavy tremolo stuff. other wise. its good. i cant imagine need much better then that. so i have to say you should not be worried about a floyd rose bridge. though i can say you really have to get it down the cent with a really good tuner not those hand held ones because when your off like a 3 cent swing +- on a floating bridge the bridge is uneven enough that a little after day of playing it will be like 12 cents out of tune. then again for many people that acceptable so if thats acceptable for you then use what ever tuner you want but if you nail it at 0 cents you will most likely break a string before figuring out how to abuse the bridge enough to send it audibly out of tune with a floyd rose.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 AM

Reviews: 34

I had a Kahler Spyder on an HM Strat. This is effectively a floyd type, but I liked it.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:41 AM

Reviews: 18

Never played a kahler but always wanted to. I love Floyds though, especially the Ibanez Orig. Edge
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Kahlers feels lifeless to me. Even the heavier ones... they just don't feel connected to the strings. Think of a floyd rose vs a keyboard pitch wheel.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Reviews: 2

Ibanez Edge for the win.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 AM

kahler made a model called "steeler" (their floyd model). that gets great reviews. supposedly one of the best floyds you can buy

the spyder is also a floyd, though the steeler is more of a floyd. used on old TA, some ESP, some fenders.

Robin guitars use em today.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Reviews: 1

I prefer the Floyd also - Kahler's always feel "squishy" to me and I don't feel that 'exactness' dropping to a note -but that's just me.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
I like the fact that OFR parts can be found.
That is exactly what I tell people when they call or email asking for advice regarding which trem they should buy.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 PM

I have a new Hybrid Kahler fitted on a '86 Charvel Model 4 and it does go out of tune quite a lot. The problem was sorted by advice from the Kahler company....just put some chapstick on the roller saddles. It actually worked fine as the strings stay in tune after whammy bar use.

There are some advantages though with the Kahler.
You can set the space between each string because the saddles are adjustable.
Also, palm mutes with power cords etc. are much fuller than with any Floyd type floating bridge.
The restring is a bit easier and quicker too.

But then, there are some advantages with the Floyd type bridges.

Tags
equipped guitar , floyd rose , jackson soloist , locking tuners , palm mute , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode