Keep breaking whammy bars... - Page 3 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Vendor

Re: Keep breaking whammy bars...

The bars are not cast, and they are ferrous, not zinc or anything like that. I broke one once a long time ago, pretty much broke for no reason, so I understand that, sometimes one will just break. I've also broken one from not having it inserted all the way, which is my fault and not the bars.

It is what it is. Bars are cheap, stop moaning and buy another.

You pull the spring screw from the bottom of the holder and push out the broken piece with a 1.5 allen, or anything else that will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Sounds to me like you need to add another spring. Although the trem may be leveled, the fact is that you're exerting a lot of stress on the strings and the bar has to work twice as hard to compensate for the pressure. It doesn't help matters that you want to do stuff that dimebag was doing with a screw-on type of arm.

Jimmy
Lol I honestly don't even use the trem much.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
hint: play in standard tuning with 9's or 10's
The way my guitar is setup, the strings are under the same tension if not less than a setup with 9's in standard.

the more I look at the broken bar I can see what look like a small area that slowly fatigued, until it finally gave way.

Anyway rich is right, it's just a bar. I just would hate for it to happen third time!
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM

I've broken one before in the exact same place. Nothing odd for all of you who are so amazed!
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:28 AM

I broke my bar like 3 weeks ago but my guitar isnīt even 5 months old lol, I couldnīt find a replacement here in Mexico so I bought and OFR bar, took the collar off and I use that, I know it is not the best thing to do but I was desperate as thats my only trem guitar, Iīm going to vegas in summer so Iīll buy like 15 bars lol
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 01:28 AM

Do they make 'em in Titanium? Because you need one...
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 04:17 AM

i have broken 2 edge bars over the years. They broke just as you've described, right on the thin spot where the bushings go in...... bad design, i'd say
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
Do they make 'em in Titanium? Because you need one...
Best I could find for the Ibanez bars is stainless steel
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Just snapped the arm on my Maxxas, and I hardly touched it when it happened. Funny thing is I was just thinking about getting a chrome arm for it hehe. This one gave up after precisely 11 years, if it's still the same one I got with it...I've got 5 guitars that use the same type arm. It's the second one I've snapped but the previous one wasn't inserted fully when it happened.

@Cyberman: +1
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 02:25 PM

I've broke 3 on my JEM in like the last few years. 11-52 strings tuned to Eb and 4 springs make the bar really stiff. Have not had a problem with 10-46 and 3 springs yet
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 PM

I broke one a few months ago, right before a gig as well......

I was seriously shocked that something like that would break. I tried to make a hack bar by bending the other end at 90 degrees with pliers so I could use it just for that gig, it didn't budge, at all. Which just makes the fact that the other end broke even more remarkable. I don't really see how such a small reduction in diameter around the bushings can make it that much more weaker.
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM

Here are a couple of pics of my snapped trem arm from my Lo Pro Edge.

I couldn't believe it at the time that these arms aren't solid steel or whatever they are made from. IMO, it's pretty piss weak on Ibanez' part. Cheap bastards. I had an old Fender Squire once and even that had a solid trem arm. The replacement bar was $30 or $40 Australian, which is probably why they are not solid in the first place...

post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM

Hmmm...

look......it's a licorice coated "pixie stick"

I use my trems extensively and go pretty much psycho on the bars. Yet to this day I have not broken a one.

Jeeze I feel left out. I guess I need to lift weights or something

I have a couple spare bars. I'm gonna hacksaw into one and post pics of the innards

Tags
arm holder , dimebag darrell , edge trem , equipped guitar , floyd rose , gauge strings , kahler trem , pro edge , schaller floyd rose , trem arm , trem block , trem guitar , whammy bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in