Lame or acceptable? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Lame or acceptable?

So I've just completed my 1st swirl which has taken up an inordinate chunk of my life. I'm pleased overall, however there are a few spots which would benefit from some touch-ups. I'm busting out the brushes and whatnot, but I feel like it's semi-lame to be touching up a swirl job like this.

Any other swirlers do spot repairs like this? Am I just being a douchebag purist or does this practice anger the swirling gods? I do wish I didn't need to but it needs it before I do the clear.

Anyhoo, I'm rambling. Free thread!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:59 PM

Re: Lame or acceptable?

Depends on the swirl and if everytime you look at it that area stands out to you.I have never had good luck other than very small areas.For me I end up redoing it sooner or later because I always feel I can do better.Your average person would probably never notice.Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing touch ups by hand. Time-consuming, but much easier than the actual swirling IMHO. It's also a learning process and takes a steady hand. I'm a surgeon and this is still hard for me

I do have a much greater appreciation for the pros now and understand why a lot of them charge what they do now.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 04:46 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgressiveHillbilly View Post
Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing touch ups by hand. Time-consuming, but much easier than the actual swirling IMHO. It's also a learning process and takes a steady hand. I'm a surgeon and this is still hard for me

I do have a much greater appreciation for the pros now and understand why a lot of them charge what they do now.
Don't worry man, the Pro's do (did) touch-ups as well....including ATD's.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

It didn't help much that I tore into it like a rabid animal. Didn't test the water enough to realize I didn't need borax, dipped in skinned-over paint, dipped in water that was too hot, etc.

I pretty much screwed it at every turn but was lucky enough to get a cool-looking RG out of it all. If I ever do this again, I'll make sure it's spot-on. The experience of it was well worth the shoulder-lock I have from 2 days of hand painting it.

I'll toss up a couple pics when I get a photobucket account made.

Last edited by ProgressiveHillbilly; 06-16-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Needed editing.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Sorry for the double post but here's the link to all the pics.

http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/Ch...src=wap&page=1
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 AM

Not really a fan of swirl but nice job.

Tags
swirl dip a guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode