Launching New Project: Snow - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Launching New Project: Snow

Okay, so I'm not totally set on the name "Snow" yet, but here's the gist of the refinish project:

(I currently have everything I need except the damn chrome headstock logo)
  • Guitar: 2006 RG1527RB
  • Paint: House of Kolor Snowwhite Pearl Shimrin (or similar)
  • Hardware: All-chrome
  • Headstock Decal: Chrome Ibanez checkmark (if I can find one)
  • Tuners: Hipshot Trimlock Chrome
  • Mods: Remove tone. Move volume down to old tone position and fill in the old volume pot's hole.
  • Swap rosewood fingerboard for maple
  • Fret markers: Undecided (dotless, white, or chrome/mirror dots)
  • No truss cover (I just left it on here because it was too hard to Photoshop out)

And here are two Photoshop mockups I'm using as a guide. One has the standard black dots, the other is without dots. I'm leaning toward either going dotless, or having white or mirrored dots:

Dots:

No Dots:

Last edited by webmaestro; 03-30-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 03:33 PM

Re: Launching New Project: Snow

Check your PMs

Last edited by Tuga666; 03-31-2016 at 04:17 PM.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Amazing news. Just discovered that a co-worker has a vinyl-cutting machine + software. As soon as my sheets of chrome vinyl arrive, this project will be under way.

\m/
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:18 PM

If you could i would try to get a different trem bridge (original edge) i like the feel of it alot better... i have a js1200 with that bridge and i wanna switch it out with an original edge like my 2400
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartvader View Post
If you could i would try to get a different trem bridge (original edge) i like the feel of it alot better... i have a js1200 with that bridge and i wanna switch it out with an original edge like my 2400
Heh, let me know when you find a mint, chrome, 7-string Original Edge.

If you find one, I just might consider the extra routing and bridge stud relocation necessary to fit that sucker in there.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM

Is this your new project based around the neck you were having built or a completely new one? I love it white with maple neck mmm does something to me!
What pickups did you have in mind?
As your doing all this work to customise this guitar have you not considered a personalized fretboard inlay?
Another of your projects I shall be keeping an eye on keep up the good work
ps why not just go game of thrones with the name n call it "Ghost"
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
Is this your new project based around the neck you were having built or a completely new one? I love it white with maple neck mmm does something to me!
What pickups did you have in mind?
As your doing all this work to customise this guitar have you not considered a personalized fretboard inlay?
Another of your projects I shall be keeping an eye on keep up the good work
ps why not just go game of thrones with the name n call it "Ghost"
No, this is a completely different guitar with a very different color/hardware scheme. I'm afraid that other neck will never be seen again

For pickups, my standard set that I have in all my guitars is Crunch Lab 7 + Ionizer 7. However, since the CL7 doesn't come in all-white or chrome, I may actually try an Ionizer 7 set in here, or maybe an Illuminator 7 set.

Not really big on custom inlay. Since the theme is "snow"... I had thought about maybe doing some kind of snowflake inlay at the 12th fret, but I think I'm going to save a little money and just stick with standard inlays.

Hmmm... "Ghost"... I actually really like that idea! Throw that into the mix, and I'm now kinda torn between Angel, Snow, and Ghost.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:20 PM

Matched headstock should work well!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:44 PM

Chrome pickups? I think that would look sweet.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:05 AM

This sounds like a killer project! I'm with hilljack here though, I think chrome pickups would look sick with the chrome hardware.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebSchmidt View Post
This sounds like a killer project! I'm with hilljack here though, I think chrome pickups would look sick with the chrome hardware.
Since discovering that a friend has a vinyl cutter, and I'm already going to have him cut my chrome Ibanez logo, I think I'll try cutting chrome bobbin stickers too. Not saying I'll necessarily like the results, but I'd rather give that a try than to put different pickups in the guitar--which I may not like.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 05:23 PM

This looks like an awesome project webmaestro! good luck on finding everything, and have you considered putting white PUs?
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
Since discovering that a friend has a vinyl cutter, and I'm already going to have him cut my chrome Ibanez logo, I think I'll try cutting chrome bobbin stickers too. Not saying I'll necessarily like the results, but I'd rather give that a try than to put different pickups in the guitar--which I may not like.
Fair enough! Sounds like a good plan, I look forward to seeing the results.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafafas View Post
This looks like an awesome project webmaestro! good luck on finding everything, and have you considered putting white PUs?
Yes, but that's back to the original dilemma: the Crunch Lab 7 doesn't come in all-white either.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:49 PM

QUOTE=webmaestro;1330769]No, this is a completely different guitar with a very different color/hardware scheme. I'm afraid that other neck will never be seen again

Oh dear why? What's happened?!

[For pickups, my standard set that I have in all my guitars is Crunch Lab 7 + Ionizer 7. However, since the CL7 doesn't come in all-white or chrome, I may actually try an Ionizer 7 set in here, or maybe an Illuminator 7 set.]

Great choices on all fronts there personally I think chrome would be kickass. Tho shame cl7 doesn't come in white.

[Not really big on custom inlay. Since the theme is "snow"... I had thought about maybe doing some kind of snowflake inlay at the 12th fret, but I think I'm going to save a little money and just stick with standard inlays.]

I thought u might not be but its another idea in the mix a snowflake same position as the Washburn solar could be awesome. But I agree with this design a less is more approach would really shine.

Hmmm... "Ghost"... I actually really like that idea! Throw that into the mix, and I'm now kinda torn between Angel, Snow, and Ghost.[/QUOTE]

[Any of those three names would work well. Just like naming your magic sword

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode